Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Best Dry Lake Styled 1927 T roadster built in 60 years!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Dec 27, 2010.

1. I was just editing my post when I deleted it :(

V8-60 Ardun is much rarer. The Ardun would be $40-50,000 with the purchase price of the heads (but could be higher). Offy $50,000 plus, a new 270ci block is $18,000 then you got the rest of the parts plus build cost or a rebuilt engine for $28,000.

2. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Good to hear that it getting the V860, rather than the Offy

Not that I have anything against an Offy mill - it's just that the V860 is more fitting for this vehicle

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Gosh the guy across the street had a 30K Keith Black Hemi in one of his cars and I thought that was ridiculous. I think we've officially hit retarded prices with this car!

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Fogger

Fogger

If that is the old Kelly Brown "T" it's the real deal. Kelly and I talked about his build long before the Shadow Rods body was available. Great to see that Brizio is completing the project.

5. Here are some earlier photos of the car that I had previously stolen from the internet.

You can tell the original plan was for the 4-banger, and the V8-60 Ardun was the replacement.

Attached Files:

6. I am not sure what engine it is getting that is part of the reason for the post. But from what I've read it is getting the Offy.

Remember this is 2010 almost 2011, not the 60s where you could be competitive with a $5,000 dragster (but that was high dollar then), now entry level Top Fuel is over $100,000 it is all relative. Same thing with Offy engines, they were never cheap they were the pinnacle of race engines, they dominated racing for 40 years. You can get a running Offy for a decent price, you just need to know where to look. A new SCoT blown Ardun is worth $40-50,000.

Come to Australia and build a engine with the best gear, prices are double. So when I hear 40-50 K for a engine it isn't unusual. You know of V8 Supercars here in Australia? Their race engines are $80,000 to build a 600hp SBC or SBF, they have to last a average of 500 miles.

Fogger, anymore info would be appreciated, like when was it started, who done the work.

Thank you Mike, those are the pics I remember seeing. I do prefer the steelies to the Mags. I do hope it ends up with the V8-60 Ardun.

7. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

That is a sweet car. The Ardun V8-60 is sooooo cool; here's hoping that's the final engine choice.

8. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Looks more Track styled. With an Offy it certainly will be.

9. As long as the driver doesn't look like a monkey fucking a football when he's sitting in it... I'd say that's a pretty cool T...

Lakes inspired?

I think it's more early Oakland Roadster Show winner inspired, myself.

Sam

10. 97

11. without nerf bars I'd call it a lakes styled roadster not a track styled.
    The roadster I have asked about has a closer aesthetic with these lakes roadsters than to Track roadsters
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This what I'd call a track roadster
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    though this is a '25 helps what I am saying
    [​IMG]

seeing how many early Oakland show winners were track and lakes roadsters I agree.

Yes that is what prompted me to ask about this car finally, it has been sitting at the back of my mind for a couple years.

12. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Boy,.. She's sure lookin good. I too would vote for the 60 Ardun.

13. V8 60 and a little less windshield (or a smidge laid back) would do it for me!

14. cracker head

cracker head

Yea, but what is the speed on your timing tag:D

Oh yea.... I really dig this "T". I think the V8-60 would have been really neat in this car. What was the reason for the engine swap?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  15. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

No info but that sure is a good looking car.

16. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I belive that is the roadster that was originally started for ex-drag racer Kelly Brown by Steve Davis . I remember seeing it at Davis' shop several years ago. It had some remarkable metal work and some pretty unique features ie; seating , hood ,track nose and grill. I'm sure that if it's at Brizios, it'll be finished in a proper fashion.

17. Offy 220

Offy 220

Just my 2 cents. I saw the Drake/Offy at Van Dyne's shop a few months ago on the dyno. Since I am biased, I like the engine, but I think the V8 60 is a better choice. To me it should be "period" correct. The Drake is probably late 70's, not sure of the engine serial number or history but that info can be looked up. We used a 220 Offy in our 29A roadster but the engine was built in the late 40's.

As for the cost of the engine, I recently sold a 220 for a little under $20k. It will take another 10 to 15k to make it "race-ready". It will run in a vintage sprint car on the East coast. I would say a 220 would be rarer than a late Drake/Offy - also depends on how many engines were produced that are similar. A 220 Offy is almost non-existent, 220 blocks are not being reproduced, only 255 and 270s. Also, adapting the engine with a starter, ring gear, transmission, ignition and fuel system is time-involved and costs money.

Other than my opinion about the engine, I like it, it's a beautiful car.

Offy 220

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  18. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The word "inspired" gives it the room I guess but... it has headlights. And that shot with the windshield completely kills the lakes vibe.

To Sam's point, (and yours) it does look like it could be an old racecar with those things added to compete in the Oakland Roadster Show. I've seen a picture of the Niekamp roadster with those same additions.

19. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

How good a street motor would a sixty Ardun make? (Just finished reading about the 40,000 mile street Offy, so guess that's OK.)

20. Sweet...the Ardun is my choice but feel free to put it in my garage any day either way

21. NealinCA

NealinCA

But it looks like they filled the holes in the hood already?

Which ever engine it gets...I hope they spend a few hundred on an original dropped front axle...

22. Fogger

Fogger

Jimmy B posted some great shots of "T" Roadsters and Philly the Greek is correct, Steve Davis did all the sheet metal fab when Kelly owned the car. It could be close to 20 years since the project was started. Look forward to seeing it at the GNRS.

23. deucemac

deucemac

Isn't that Fred Lobello in the color shot of Schiefer car?

24. daddio211

daddio211

Jimmy B, I never realized how similar the designs are between track and lake styled cars! I know it when I see it, but you really underscored it.

Seems like a guy could build a lakes styled car and with just a few minor changes could change the look totally into a track styled car. Add a windshield and nerf bars and you're half way there... things that could be interchanged easily in a few hours in the shop just to mix it up a little for fun!

Oh yeah Jimmy B, thanks for the cargasm! Wow! Great pictures!!!

25. Rudy'sRod

Rudy'sRod
    from Denver, Co

Absolutely stunning car. Gives us T guys some inspiration. :)

26. Nice nice nice.....if i was the guy who had the funds to get that built, i'd be putting a nasty banger or flathead in it...keep it more in reach of the average guy...what he would've been able to build rubbing to nickels together...that's lookin good, a time machine

27. Thank god they ditched those wheels... like someone said on another messageboard... with that shallow negative off set... they look like hub caps!

Blach!

Sam

28. The hub caps may be clocked with the GROUND, but unfortunately they aren't clocked with the valve stem and the lettering.

Sam

29. titus

titus

great looking car!