Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holdens?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stone, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Its got a Pontiac 389 in it, as for Rego.... yep an Engineer is needed if modified.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats not a Nailhead in the second to last pic, did he change motors??

Doc.

3. Naah just me having brain fade, its actually a pontiac with mechanical injection

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, either way its killer.

5. Stone

Stone

Thats awesome.

6. Boris, I think that was John Zeigler's customised HJ Ute, I'll post some pics later.

7. That's quite possible, it's funny how some of the things that started as a biit of fun kinda stuck.

The early cars used a Pommy style lever shock which doubled as the front suspension upper control arm. They also had very narrow rear springs wich were prone to breaking.

I think they finally changed them with the '51 or maybe the '52 update and from there the same suspension carried through to the FE when the front suspension got pressed metal wishbones to replace the riveted U section and plate units.

8. Kiwi, It already has one of the original HAMB stickers on the back window.

9. fat141

fat141

Stretched her bum, but not her tits
    Rod

10. Jeez Carps, I love your FJ. It'll inspire my work on this one.

Attached Files:

11. Friend of mine is building a replica of "She's Ace" original 48 Holdel drag car. Seems there's a few ol' 48-56 Holden gassers, replicas of and original ones still around when you start digging and some ol' dudes with all the info.
    Anyone got pics?

Attached Files:

12. GlenC

GlenC

Here's an original FJ ute, pic taken about 1964. I'm the scrawny lookin' surfie dude with bare feet at the back of the group, my board's the one on top of the far pile.

Cheers, Glen.

Attached Files:

• ute.jpg
      ute.jpg
      File size:
      370.5 KB
      Views:
  13. RM-Special

RM-Special

Here's a shot of "SHE'S ACE" pic I think was on the Street Machine Magazine Blog.

Cheers RM
    [​IMG]

14. Stone

Stone

Thats cool. I don't believe I have ever seen a chopped top 4door gasser.

15. About early 90's there was an original car parked outside a wrecking yard near Gawler SA, it was blue and called "Jumpin Jack Flash", had no motor. Any ideas where it is now and where it came from anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

16. RM-Special

RM-Special

Well i Just did some searching.IF folks are digging the old holden thing and you have the time go here to find lots of very cool shots of FX FJ holdens http://www.streetmachinemag.typepad.com/ .On the left of the home page are the categories ,best ones to scroll thru are the following ;
    Feature Cars
    Grey power
    Holdens
    Kustoms
    Nostalgia Drags
    (trust me there is some very cool stuff like; shots from back in the day and as found and restored survivors-and make sure to hit the tiny arrows at the bottom of the page to get to more pics)
    Cheers
    RM

17. hewey

hewey

18. Here is another Humpy gasser from about 1975. SBC powered. The wagon is my old Holden FC from 1959. That was my daily driver back then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. badgeree

badgeree

I'm also a member of the Early Model Holden Club. Lots of pics of FX / Fj's on the website. Have a look at www.emhc.com.au.

20. I co-owned a car by that name for a while in the very early eighties. It was a white early seventies country style A/G- very light body, bluish lexan windows, with BIG signwork- a fairly well stripped out roller- I think we got it from Glynde Wreckers. It had previously passed through Steve Langham's (N.S.W) hands (I seem to recall reading somewhere), - it had his name written on it- perhaps he built it. Dunno.
    It had been set up for Big Block Chev. It was an simple, primitive chassis. We didn't keep it long- too rough/too big a job is what I recall thinking of it at the time.

* 'She's Ace'- too cool. That Taperoo station ran some very nice Humpies. What happened to the 'Turtle'? That was a nice car. One of theirs.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  21. I would love to have one of these cars and convert it to a two door. These things look great after they have been customized.

22. Right on.Nice '54 BTW.
    re. Holdens (48-FJ); Looking at where the cabin sits in the structure, that nice way back, gives these cars a pony car-like proportion if the doors are lengthened.
    As they are, with 6 cyl power, they are a great race package. They're so light (2200 lbs.)
    I've always thought these are the coolest gassers.
    Floor surgery- A 2-doored FJ with a chassis channeled into it would make most Willys look pretty tame. :cool:Hmmm..

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  23. Gman0046

Gman0046

Sixties Holdens had a glove box tab to help open the box. I'm looking for one of those tabs. If anyone has one please send me a PM. Thanks.

24. He's my mate also , its going to be street registered
    SDC13909[1].JPG

25. Oh man, that's rockin' good news..

Gman- noted.

26. Tony Travers

Tony Travers

Howdy
    There were hundreds of FJ's on or Dragstrips in Super Stock and Gas classes - including plenty with custom touches. One of the best lookers would have been Warren Armour's from the 1960's. Car sat high was chopped with raked windscreen posts and of course a two door conversion. Pics come up on a google search.
    Cheers
    Tony

27. here we go mate

Attached Files:

28. Stone

Stone

I love this thread.

29. Tony Travers

Tony Travers

Man you have to show me how you posted those pictures.

Folk-law has it that when Warren Armour turned up with this as a new race car every one was blown away and protested against it 'cos it wouldn't be able to be registered for road use (a requirement of the Super Stock rules of the day). Apparently he took it home fitted up an exhaust system, got it over the pits and registered!

When I was a teenager livin' at Henley Beach SA in the early 1970's there was a guy named Miller who had a flat black FX sedan with a scalding hot red motor with FXU-1 stenciled onto the bonnet. He was always ready and looking for a race. One of his mates had a cool as hell light blue FJ panel van (sedan delivery), forget his name ... some one Davis, that had a set of Magnum Mags and a serious rake who used to cruise along the beaches with the tail gate up all the time looking to impress the chicks. For our American brothers - the object of owning a panel van back in those days was to get the chicks into the back for a bit of horizontal relaxation. Like Miller he was always ready and looking too!

Every one here in Aussie aged 45 or more will have lots of FJ Holden memories.
    Cheers
    Tony

30. yer no worries mate , next time ya drop in for a beer :p

Attached Files:

• od.jpg
      od.jpg
      File size:
      58.7 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.