Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-52 New Old Style Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.B., Dec 12, 2010.

1. WOW ! Rik what a difference this is! Cool picture,thanks man. Merry Christmas Rik,Kevin and everyone else.

2. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Good job on your car, Zonk. I wish my car was finished so nicely! That merc is not what they're looking for here. Your car looks like a 50s style custom that was built in the 80s or 90s. Was it?

3. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Zonk... pleeeeze... :eek:

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!
    [​IMG]

4. Zonk's car modern and very far from what this post is about...

In the eighties/early 90's this Canadian Merc kustom was my favorite. Whops J.B, you said the last 10-15 years... Times goes fast! The thing that worries me is that in my files I dont find many late built all traditional kustoms in the style that did rule from after WW II up to 1952.

Even on this one, a few small details: A glossy organic metallic paint would have made it even better looking. The front fender lip (52 Merc?) would be possible on a '52 kustom but not eariler. And correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't it have pointed Appeltons? Maybe blunt S-552's would have been even more period perfect... Still, it is very close to my dream view of a period custom.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
    EVL401 likes this.
  5. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Yes, time really flies. The reason I started this thread is that I can't find many newer builds that are true to tradition in this style. A style that is still appreciated today. If there are polls made of the most beautiful custom, many of the cars from this period pops up. But almost nobody builds their cars like that. Very strange, I think. Because the skills of the bodymen today certainly is not any worse than the skills of the guys at the Barris shop in 1950. So, why is it like this? Is it a non-interest in the essential styling/stance/body mods/accessories or....? Beats me... :cool:

About that beautiful Merc you have here, RPW.
    The paint is one thing, of course. Makes it a not yet finished car from this period. The Appletons however can be correct, since they are only a slightly older model and very possible to use at this time. I have Lorraines on my Merc now, but will change them to my 552's for next year. :)

And guys! More pics of cars we haven't seen here yet! Keep them coming. :D

6. 53chevy

53chevy

Here's Jack Pieknik's Custom. Saw it back in 2001 @SoCal's open house. I don't care for roadsters, but the 35/36 are an exception for me and love how they look as Customs. The only thing I would change is same size tires all the way around, it has smaller tires up front. Also, the one thing that puzzles me is how they are the transition from being a Hot Rod or Custom or kinda both(I know...). Examples I think, Bob Pierson's 36 and the Westergard now owned by Verne (It'll be @GNRS), both were raced at the Lakes.

Attached Files:

• j2.jpg
      j2.jpg
      File size:
      47.5 KB
      Views:
    EVL401 likes this.
  7. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Nice car. If Im correct, the car was from Ontario, Canada and was built by Chip Coffin for Eddie Brake. Looks like a frame swap.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  8. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I wonder if there was a 36 in the country in the 40s that had that 1999 street rod stance with no skirts and Caddys? The top looks state of the art also.

9. John Denich

John Denich

Yup a Camaro Clip!!! and it sits in Down Town Toronto in a broken down garage...Last I seen the roof of the garage fell on it!!! Only on the road 3 months in its whole life as a Kustom!!!! SAD

10. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

my very mild 51 chevy
    -nosed and decked
    -shaved handles
    -bumperets shaved tail lights
    -frenched head lights
    -53 ford side trim

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  11. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Now there you go, Flyin Flattie ! That looks like something that would have been in the letters section of "HOP UP"

12. McPhail

McPhail

I want one of those really badly.........

13. Zonk and the 36 roadster please exit the thread ASAP. :) Thank You

14. 100% correct!

I wish people would pay attention to the specific intents of thread titles - and the explanations that are usually in the first post.

15. thinkfink

thinkfink

beautiful.

16. hershambob

hershambob

it took a while but i finally found the rear lights,once i enlarged the pic,very cool car

17. That's a keeper!

18. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Those bumperettes are the type of thing that everybody sits around the garage saying "most idiots dont even know" LOL !

19. rodncustom

rodncustom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  20. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

I think the reason for that is that nowdays you can pick all the "goodies" from different old kustom builds and modifie your car the way you want to.
    I mean building a kustom car "period perfect" is almost like an original restoaration ha ha ;)
    I also think that the common car guy dont have the knowledge of how everything should be to be period perfect.
    As an example i really dont like searchlight at all (as you know JB,only raggarbilar got them ha ha),and i wouldent use them even if i built a period perfect car.
    But im NOT an expert at old kustom cars/styles.
    I think that you should school us a little on what things that makes a kustom spot on 48-52 style.
    Spread the word,i wanna know more :D

21. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Try this. Everyones flat fuckin broke and it costs over 100,000 to build one.

22. Very well said,I agree 100% that doing a period custom from this era is like doing a original restoration maybe even more of a pain in the ass and definitly a lot more expensive,especially if you are sick enough to go period perfect under the hood.

23. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Well we all know that we are more or less "sick" :D

24. glassguyOC

glassguyOC
    from O.C.

Great read, all 14 pages. These big cars with Flatheads are not really practical in regular traffic. When you see a new build using one of these early motors you really have to either admire the owner or scratch your head a little bit... Lots of effort and big money when a 350 would be more practical. It seems like no new show customs go with this style for that reason. Now I am not saying they are not drivable in regular traffic, I am just saying if an owner is going to dump big 6 digit money in a car, he often wants to at least get in it and mash the pedal down.

Hats off to anyone doing one of these right now.

25. It dont have to be a 350 to mash the throttle and not every custom had a flathead in this time frame,most did but not all. When a spot on period car pops the hood and u see a 350 in there it loses some of its pop,that is a fact and everyone on this thread knows it. Sorry but I speak the truth.

Busted Knuckles likes this.
  26. 00 MACK

00 MACK

When a spot on, period kustom pops the hood at all, it loses its pop.

27. Ha ! Very True !!

28. Agreed!! Unless a custom is being serviced the hood should never be open for anyone to know what is under it anyways.

29. Well I think Matranga ,Bob Hirohata, and almost all of the Ayala cars would disagree.If a sled pulls up sounds good some people like to look under the hood.I dont think the hood should be popped for any long period of time though it kills the lines but there were some customs that were hopped up back then and sometimes they did pop the hood.

30. Rikster

Rikster

I'm a big fan of closed hoods on Customs.... but to proof Jeff's point...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EVL401 likes this.