Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone here into large scale (1/8) car models???

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Deuces, Dec 10, 2010.

1. old-hermit

old-hermit
    from SC

Heres the boom I made out of Plastruc I beam for my 1/8 scale wrecker ...

[​IMG]

and heres the wrecker ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. oldschool55

oldschool55

WOW, that's wild. 1/8 scale makes it even better, I know it's not as easy as you make it look.

3. Toner283

Toner283

4. Deuces

Deuces

Holy crap!... Looks like you could almost jump in there and start her up and drive off.. WoW!!! Nice one Al!!! :)

5. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Someone asked earlier about a chopped resin 3 window. I got a few chopped resin 3 window bodies from Dan on the Scale Motor Cars site.
    But me being me they weren't chopped enough. So I decided to chop one a bit more.
    This is a long term project that I haven't worked on for a while.
    Below is an image and here is a link to a thread on the scale Motor car's site.
    http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/large-scale-cars/2079-someone-else-cutting-up-3-window.html
    Geoff aka whodaky
    [​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  6. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Geoff,
    Nice work!!.......

7. We got a monogram 1/8 scale small SBC when we were kids. It had an electric motor and ran on two pen lite batteries (AA).You could watch the front pistons go up and down. There were all kind of options- crank driven blower, four barrel carburetor, fuel injection, six two barrel carbs and manifold mounted blower.

Being true hot rodders at nine and ten years old, we needed more horse power. We hooked up about six "D" cell batteries in series. This really made the engine spin. Then we decided to go for an endurance run and hooked the batteries in series and parallel. The engine quit running some time during the night. We tore it down and the little copper contacts that contacted the commutator were burnt off.

We never ran it again because the electric motor was glued inside the engine block and the tear down was kind of a savage act.

Today the big t's and the other 1/8 scale models are not motorized like the old ones.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
    Deuces and kiwijeff like this.
  8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Thats a pretty valued kit you have there, lots of extra's the kits didnt have. I have several of them.

9. Deuces

Deuces

I have one also that hasn't been started..

10. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

And dirty old men;)

11. What's a good site for 1/24 drag type plastic models?

12. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Anyone know of someone who can cast up some 1/6 scale tires, (knobby and grooved) for a dirt champ car I'm building around a gmp offy? I'm pretty intimidated by the excellent work and knowledge on this thread but I want to give it a try.

13. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Maybe but that kind of stuff isn't cheap. Reason is; as big as 1/8th is it makes up a very small percentage of the model industry 1/6th is even less of a percentage.

14. argond

argond

I posted my Deuce build earlier on this thread. I've now built some brackets to mount the rack and pinion to the front cross member. The brackets still need to be shaped and molded to the cross member but this finishes the front end. The position of the rack still gives me lots of room to mount the engine.

Bill...have a look at the radio controlled dirt car hobby. You'll probably find some tires that will suit your needs.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      323.5 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      366.8 KB
      Views:
    Deuces likes this.
  15. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Just an observation but shouldn't the boots on the rack be facing the other direction?

16. argond

argond

Good eye Bill, and you're right! Unfortunatly, I can't correct the mistake without wrecking the boots so this will be our little secret OK? Fortunatly, I have a few more R&P kits so I can build another one for this car.

Moving on to my Willy's project. While building brackets for the R&P, I discovered a weakness in the front cross member. I've now boxed it in and can continue with the brackets. Once everything is in place, I'll shape it, add some smear and it will be done.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      301.2 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      319.8 KB
      Views:
    Deuces likes this.
  17. Mojo

Mojo

Like said above, check out the radio controlled sites. There might be something you can adapt. Check towerhobbies.com for a start.

18. argond

argond

While rooting through the spare parts box I found an aftermarket 8th scale 40 Ford dash. I forgot where it came from but I do remember smoothing it. Its a perfect fit for the Deuce so after a bit more smoothing and the addition of some gauges and switches its a done deal.

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      300.6 KB
      Views:
  19. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I always thought collecting the firestone ashtrays would be cool, see them in antique stores alot. Not sure of the scale, maybe 1/4? Pretty real looking.

20. Pharouh

Pharouh

Me too!
    I've got an original 65 Vette,Big T,an 82 Vette and a pseudo Big Drag,all built. I've got the new Big Deuce,85 Vette,met.blue 65 Vette,and the 78 Vette in boxes.
    I like to build them,but they take up a lot of room.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  21. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

kiwijeff likes this.
  22. Mudgy

Mudgy

Have you looked at RC tyres?
    FG Germany makes 1/5th F1 & on road/off road cars, HPI has the Baja 5B,
    King Motors, Lauterbacher, Redcat, HARM, MCD, etc. Plenty of 1/5 to choose from. ProLine also does wheels N tyres

23. Deuces

Deuces

Scale Auto.. Look them up..

24. Deuces

Deuces

I believe the master was done by one of our members on SMC.. He goes by the name of "Hot Ford Coupe" I'm kinda wondering if he ever kicked the habit of chewing on Crayolas??? :D:)

25. When I try to register for the forums, it wants me to subscribe to the magazine instead

26. Deuces

Deuces

That site is a little screwy... I don't go there much...

27. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

28. car toon

car toon

You can also find a collectible (thick tread!) rubber NASCAR tire called "Foto tires" on ebay and groove them yourself. They were made in approximately a 3 1/2, 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 inch diameter.

They can sometimes be had for around $10 each. Just another option. I believe 1/6 scale would be the 4/12 inch tire and they are the most common size found these days.

The smaller size version (3 1/2 inch) makes an almost perfect vintage drag tire for 1/8, especially for gassers and even 1/8 scale 1980s Camaro ASA cars, IF you can find them. They are getting more rare.

29. resinjeff

resinjeff
    from detroit

better model car sites are model cars magazine and spotlight hobbies.

30. sizzler67

sizzler67
    from Canada

Al sure does know his way around the big scale stuff !

I was fortunate enough to build one of these straight six mills as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the shop truck build that has been on the bench for 2 years that the six is powering.

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.