Register now to get rid of these ads!

New class for Bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Warner, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Keith Cornell of the Rolling Bones shop planted an idea in my head for a new Bonneville class devoted to hot rods.

I came up with a basic rules package, nothing formal. I thought I would throw this out and see what kind of massaging you can come up with. The new class cannot be presented until 2012 for 2013 implementation so, plenty of time for fine tuning.

Body - American coupe and sedan, 1927-1948.

Engine - American OHV V8 built prior to 1969(I'm told that the 350 SB Chevy was introduced in 1970?) Cast iron OEM block, cast iron OEM heads. Displacement range of 261-439.9 ci, this is the same SCTA engine classes B-D.

Chassis - OEM type frame, may be after market replica. No fabricated tube frames. 120" max. wheelbase.

Safety equipment - up to SCTA mandated under 200 MPH. This will change as soon as a class record exceeds 200 MPH, the same as all the other classes.

Street Equip - Head lights, tail lights, horn, all wired and operational.

Available SCTA class - Blown Gas Coupe, Unblown Gas Coupe, engine classes B-C-D
    All other Gas Coupe rules from the SCTA book would apply.

I think this class could generate a lot of interest. The class would be a true, drive to the event, race it and drive home.

OK, any interest or input?

DW

2. daddio211

daddio211

Clarify body type a little please. Only OEM bodies, or would something like a '32 Brookville coupe, '34 SAR coupe, or '40 Bob Drake coupe be allowed? How about Tupperware bodies?

I love the idea!

3. F&J

F&J

350 was available in 67 in the Camaro only...so i recall?

4. I'm in! Y-block powered '30 5 window!

I planned on driving there this year too.. now I just need a rule book for the <200 safety items.

5. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Isn't part of this already covered as part of the Classic class? You thinking like a Classic sub-category? Street Classic Gas Coupe?

6. Ole don

Ole don

Why not just implement the USFRA 130 class for the August crowd? Its fun, its cheap, and its not as easy as one might think when you keep your car within the idea of how the rules were originally written. I drive my car 1650 miles to get there, race it, (best of 128.397 in one mile only), keep the tune mild enough so you can drive it home. My entire pit fits in the turnk, with all the spares. I do this alone, only one fellow has stepped up to meet me there and help. Did I mention how much fun this is???

7. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Interesting idea Dan. As I see it now, nothing is preventing anyone from making their street driven hot rod meet SCTA tech minimums and coming out and running. Will they be competitive for a record? Probably not. This new class would essentially open up three slots for someone to get their name in the rule book:

B/HR
    C/HR
    D/HR

If getting their name in the rule book because they broke a record is what people really want then this would be the best opportunity for that to happen. I'm building a Tudor Sedan for the street and I thought about putting a cage in it and running it in some later incarnation of the car but I'd personally be happy with saying that I drove my car there, ran 150 mph, and then drove it home. I think there are still people out there who just do this for the fun of it and don't have their target set on breaking records.

So, besides opening up three new class slots (or maybe 6 for gas & fuel... or maybe 12 for blown & unblown?) to fill in with someone's name, I don't see a need for a new class. If people really want to run their street cars they can already now. Nothing is keeping anyone from throwing in a cage, fire system, etc., and coming out and running.

And if people really want to drive their street cars down the track without meeting our tech requirements they can always do the USFRA 130/150 mph club stuff which I don't really know much about other than that classes exist and you can basically run a stock street car with no real safety equipment.

8. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

Yeah, I remember an SS350 Camaro in 67, too. Sounds like a great class, except that it has to be a V8. What about us inliners?

9. Sounded good until I read the OHV part........

10. t-rod

t-rod

Beef Stew, what do you mean by "no real safety equptment"? My roadster is still under construction but I've kept in mind the USFRA rules all along and the 4 point roll bar, fire extinguisher, speed rated tires, driveshaft hoop, etc. seem pretty real to me. If somebody wants to crowd the already long lines at Speedweek with street cars, no matter to me. I'll be watching in August and racing in September.

11. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

I'm probably wrong, but going off your avatar pic I'm assuming that you have a Model T roadster. This class (as I read it) would be for closed cars only so no roadsters.

Also, following the Gas Coupe/Sedan rules, the year of the frame must be the same as the year of the body (no Model A coupes on '32 rails) and the frame and body must be in their stock locations (no channeling). I could be wrong but I'm going off what I'm reading. Also, GC requires fenders which I would think wouldn't be required for this Hot Rod class so maybe there are more exceptions that would come out if/when this is fully proposed.

12. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dan, I think that this class would generate a lot of interest, too, but I also think that unless the rules are written so carefully and tight, you'll have a hell of a time enforcing the rules & handling protests. I would think that it'll be hard to police blocks & heads, proof of driving to/from the Salt, etc. Then everyone has to upgrade rollcage,seat, tires, etc. when 200 mph is attained? Do you think the SCTA board will add more classes? All these potential street coupe owners have to do is run TO and compare timing slips to determine the winner now. BTW, thanks so much for your efforts on behalf of all us SCTA/BNI racers (especially those of us without club representation) in getting the 2011 rules out AND carrying the needed clarifications to the board. See you on the Salt. vicPS: Are you gonna get your trailer?

13. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

In order:

daddio211 - after market bodies OK, glass OK - must be EXACT replicas, coupes and sedans only i.e. 3 window, 5 window, 2 door, 4 door, Vicky - stuff like that

F&J - after research and I find the 350 available in '67 then I will drop the engine year break to '66

38flattie - this would move the uncompetitve hot rods(they now run against Studebakers and Monzas in Classic classes) to an area of their own.

Ole don - I was thinking some would like to see their name in a Bonneville class

Beef - 6 classes, blown/unblown gas coupe, 3 engine breaks(HR - I likey)

Studebakster - Inliners have classes to compete in now, Vintage Coupe

Beef - yes, same as Gas Coupe, frame/body(will let A bodies on '32 frames) relationship. A few inches added to wheelbase for blown cars. Fenders optional.

Thanks for the input keep it coming. Also thanks for indicating that some are willing to participate,

DW

14. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Vic,

Proof of driving to the salt will not be required. I thought it a pleasant by-product. People complain of no place to cruise.

Yep, getting a trailer, used of course. We in impound are the bottom of the hand-me-down list. The beer box will out of the sun from the back of my truck at least.

DW

15. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

EXACTLY. Actually, you can run in any class you want and if you don't meet the safety requirements you just get yellow tagged.

And does it really matter which sanctioning body you run under? If it doesn't, then you can run your street coupe/sedan in the USFRA deal WITHOUT a cage. If your dream is to make a pass down the salt (even if it's under 120 mph) that's by far the easiest way to do it. If you absolutely have to run at a SCTA event then you're going to have to pony up and meet the tech minimums.

16. I think it would be a great idea . Fielding a full out race car is expensive and people like me only have enough money to either build a hot rod or a race car . When I build my car I was going to build a cage into the body so it is safer on the street,it would be neat to be able to run it down the salt . Rob

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Due to the "Engine Swap" rules a 350 or 400 small block seems like it would be legal anyway. As in a '61 302 GMC being legal in XO because it's a pre '59 design. I have often tried to think of how there could be a class for early OHV V8s that excluded Small block Chevys and Chrysler Hemis. Common Bonneville engines. Never could. I would love it if there was a Nail Head, Oldsmobile, Packard, Poly Chrysler, etc. class that would show me something I don't see any way. So I am not against this idea. Just not for it. What I really would like is opening XF and XO to F and E class breaks. Starting at 320 cid makes to many vintage engines unrealistic.

18. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Neither will the SCTA

19. silent rick

silent rick

yep, look how long they've been after them for a rotary engine class

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If the purpose of the proposed new class is to make more bodies competitive than I guess the rules shown here would be fine. If you wanted to make the "Classic" OHV V8 engines competitive perhaps a rule such as "OEM single rocker shaft cast iron heads" Keeps out the SBCs and SBFs. As well as hemis and Pontiacs. To bad about the Pontiacs. But good for Olds and Cads and Y blocks and such. I would agree with the person who thought Pickups should be allowed in the coup class within this category. I like it better than Rear engine roadsters.

21. The 350 SBC was released in pickups in the 1968 model year, so you will find 1967-dated 350 castings, for certain. Plus, IIRC, the 350 was available in Camaros mid-way in the 1967 model year, so you probably will not see a '66-cast 350 anywhere.

I think your idea of a 1966 cutoff date (as in 12/31/66 casting date) is a good idea.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  22. I like the idea of a Hot Rod class. The USFRA does sound like the easiest way to do it under an existing banner.

A's WOULD have to be allowed 32 frames so you don't alienate 80% of the A folks out there. My 28 Tudor is getting set up with rollbars,driveshaft loops etc so I can take it to the HAMB drags. I would love to add a firebottle and come play on the salt.

23. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

so basically we are talking same rules as a street roadster except the chassis and engine year rule ?

i can already see a lot of street roadster guys putting glass 5w bodys on their chassis and putting some fast records on the book pretty quick

why worry about what year the 350 came around? the cube limit is 439 cutting the block year would just increase $$spent 327 is still a 4" bore, but smaller journal

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  24. badcoupe34

badcoupe34

Dan, this is a really cool idea. It fits into a budget class too. Definately something I would be interested in building a car for.

25. moefuzz

moefuzz

I would have to agree

26. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

As I see this, its a bunch of guys who have cars that are not competetive in any existing classes, wanting a new class that would make their cars competitive! Boys will be boys, and racers will be racers. This may start out as an "economy" class, but any racer will see it as a challenge. As someone has already said, some of the serious racers in street roadster class would just put a glass coupe body on their serious roadster frame and go racing.
    Surely the ' Bones guys can run their coupes in any number of classes now, I'm not sure why more classes are needed.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Some people have been asking about a "Classic V8" engine class. Similar to the XO and XF V4 and V4F classes. So a class limited to engines with OEM single rocker shaft heads would pretty much fit that bill. No small blocks and no Hemis. Points and condenser ignition. Pretty cheap. Three twos or single four with limits on venturi size to rule out racing carbs. Still cheap. And keeps speeds within the limits of the chassis required. Do we need this class? No. Did we need V4F? Or REMR? no. But they seem very popular with members. Really no body needs Speed Trials. but they are fun.

28. That's true.. that's true!

29. firingorder1

firingorder1

Hey Stan Beck! You got a roadster to build for next May. Get off the computer and get to work!!!!!

30. plan9

plan9

Basics are the same though..... I cant see how it can be more affordable, especially when guys with deeper pockets see open records.. id imagine it'd take an act of god to get another class.
    *safety gear
    *pay entry fee's
    *get to the event
    *run event gas
    etc etccccc......

Build a car for a pre existing class put your favorite rocker shaft OHV engine in and just have some fun? if a person is dedicated they will go faster.

example: RichFox's Packard Monza.