Register now to get rid of these ads!

Well, I took my Oxygen Regulator apart...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anchorboy46, Dec 2, 2010.

1. And I learned a whole lot. There is a big ass spring in there like a valve spring on an engine. Then the diaphram,then a seat assembly.
    That's pretty much all there is to it.
    I also learned that I cant buy a diaphram and seat assembly unless I'm an authorized dealer/repair shop. Something about liability issues. SOOOOO.. I guess I'm going to the weld shop on Monday to have THEM rebuild my regulator...AAAARRRGGGHH! It's so easy,if I just had the parts...Mikey

2. had the same problem.

3. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

You could always buy a new regulator and steal the parts from it ;)

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Ha ha.....now I know why my new set leaked!!!!!

5. F&J

F&J

Are you sure it needs parts? Sometimes it's just a speck of something that makes it not seat 100%

6. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

Remember not to oil anything in there.

7. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Remove clean and re assemble

8. 408 AA/D

408 AA/D

Do a search on-line for oxy./acc. rebuild kits they can be purchased without being a dealer. I purchased a kit several months back and rebuilt mine, but don't remember the name of the website.

9. weldtoride

weldtoride

Mine had a rubber diaphram backed up by a plastic one which age-cracked, I made a new plastic one from a plastic jug, worked for a little while, then leaked again. Watch for oil, even slight traces are extremely dangerous, 2000 psi will cause compression ignition, like a diesel engine, except you got pure Ox instead of air, very powerful bang.

These guys are reasonable, I have sent them photos before sending regs, they will tell you if there are parts available, and if the reg is worth the time, some are too cheap to bother with.

http://www.mckenzierepair.com/

10. Are you guys totally nuts?
    Yes officer he was rebuilding his regulator and that is his ass over there and his .....

11. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

12. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

caca, really isn`t the pressure that causes the problem, oil(hydrocarbon) and o2 together will blow up on its own, don`t really need an ignition source, saw it firsthand when working with liquid oxygen.....you can die!

13. George T G

George T G

It's not compression ignition it's spontanious compustion. Sorta like you get from wet hay in a barn.
    Most times the rubber diafgram gets a hole in it and leaks.
    Most times I can sell someone a set of "house brand" regulators for less than the cost to get one rebuilt.
    GEORGE!!

14. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

there ya go, what i was tryin to say......spontaneous combustion.....

15. weldtoride

weldtoride

It's all kinda relevant isn't it? A gallon of gasoline is equivalent to over 60 sticks of dynamite and we work around gasoline all day long.

16. lowburban

lowburban

I had mine rebuilt a few months ago. I've had it for close to 20 years, it came back looking like a brand new one and only cost 35 bucks. Well worth it in my opinion.

17. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'll have to check with them on the 1917 set of portland welding and machine regulators i need a diaphram for