Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why cant ebay sellers be honest?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chad s, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

anybody who would bid $1,000.00 on an item like that with a newbie seller and no paypal is a fool. people sign up for ebay and go and do stupid shit like this and then blame ebay.

...I got 10 bucks that says he or his buddys bid those spots up that high. but we'll never know because the bidders ID's are hidden.

I had about $100 bucks total invested in my two unities on my old 49 bomb. that's including buying 2 brand new mounting brackets. they were real nice. can't see how having appleton printed on them would be worth another 9 bills.

I don't know how half these sellers of old car junk get any bids at all... no shipping cost listed, crappy pictures and a 5 word description. I never bid on stuff like that.

2. classicfins

classicfins

I've been watching one item for over a month and a half now. It never meets reserve, has had the same high bidder each time it ended, and has never had the Buy It Now lowered. It's now relisted for the 5th time since I found it. Pretty soon the fees will cost them more then the damn thing is worth.

3. Chad s

Chad s

Well, a Bomb, and a traditional custom may be concidered 2 different things, but we have been down the "why appleton vs. unity" road before. I guess you dont see the big difference in the shape of the bucket of an appleton 112/552 and a Unity spot light. Personaly, the shape of the appleton is much more classy looking to me, and is period correct for an early 50's (especialy early barris) style custom, and the Unitys are not really period correct for an early 50s custom (though I can think of one, and only one, early 50's custom that did have unity's). If the shape of the spotlight means a lot to you, and you want it period correct, Appleton is really the only way to go.

I agree, I wouldnt ever even think about bidding big money on an item with a new seller with little or no feedback.

I paid $250 for my 49 plymouth bumpers from a new seller. I talked to him on the phone before I bid, he knew someone I know, so I called for a reference, payed with a CC through paypal, had him ship them using my Fedex account. I was very cautious, but I wouldnt have spent much more on that transaction based on his lack of feedback.

4. There are a couple things a guy can do to help keep em honest....
    One is to ask the seller the right questionsON EBAYS ASK A SELLER QUESTION method.
    This DOCUMENTS the issue -BEFORE you bid and buy,in case of a dispute later....

Second- if he [the seller] is not taking PayPal there is probably a couple reasons why...he does not want you to have any recourse or any way to get the item returned if you are not happy.

Also he may not have access to PayPal because of his previous amount of problems with many ;) dissatisfied bidders....

PayPal gives you the buyer, a way of getting what you pay for easier than any other method.a minimum of 1,000.00 protection on parts and 20,000.00 on a vehicle

Most folks who have trouble with ebay, do not use it enough to be a "careful buyer"....
    meaning they simply do not know how it works or wont take time to find out before they:rolleyes: "get took"-due to their general lack of information.

If you use the safeguards in place- ebay is better than a swap meet by far...I find things on there regularly and sell quite a bit too.

5. 37 KID-
    Ebay does not let the bidder decide the increments he bids....
    It is determined by the dollar amout the item is bringing,then the proxy bid increases their bid that set amount for them if their are any competing bids.....

6. TimDavis

TimDavis

"isn't there something the post office can do about it"

Yeah, right....the federal government should get involved....nothing else important to do other than try and get some guys money back because the vintage police equipment he bought on eBay was misrepresented as a different model number.......

....talk about American's sense of entitlement.....

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Understood, but every bid placed was in dollars, no change, It just looks odd to me that every bidder bid in whole dollar amounts.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Personaly, the shape of the appleton is much more classy looking to me, and is period correct for an early 50's (especialy early barris) style custom, and the Unitys are not really period correct for an early 50s custom .....

I see your point. I don't care for spots on customs at all, other than perhaps a few pre war examples. therein lies my amazement at the price of appletons.

9. 53convert

53convert

Ive only been screwed on EBAY once in the 5 years I been buying and it was me that screwed me.
    here is how I did it.
    guy had 25 cases of .38 SW once fired shells for sale.
    those are hard to find cases.
    Ibid a buck a case or 25 bucks.
    and I won the bid. and I got 25 cases.
    not 25 cases with 50 rounds per case.
    25 individual cases.
    I went back and looked at the pic and sure enough the guy had pictured 25 cases.
    I screwed myself.
    I just chuckeld at my foolishness not the sellers and chalked it up to
    Boy was that a stupid deal.
    Been a lot more careful since then.
    Gotta laugh at yourself first

10. djmk52

djmk52
    from norfolk va

my biggest complaint about ebay sellers is the seller that puts somethng for sale at a "seemingly" fair price,,then when you look at the shipping charge, they want some exploded amount,,I personally will not buy for a seller that does that that,, no matter how much I may need or want the item,, I sell stuff sometimes on ebay,, I leave it at no reserve, and the shipping is the price of flat rate box,,people,,,they are the worst!! just talking aobut some ebay sellers ,, not the people here

11. 340Fish

340Fish

Agreed, the shipping game is a PIA but I've come to learn that evilBays shipping calculator is a big part of the problem. Get the seller to verify the shipping price. I've started doing this and it's really worked out well. Quite often, I get it shipped way below eBay's guestimated price.

12. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Im prpbably the only honest seller on ebay carcrazyjohn-2008 I joined the hamb and ebay at the same time ,I dont do it for money I do it for my carparts ,Lately its been dead .As soon as I catch up on the money I owe them ,Im done...........

13. inlinr6

inlinr6

I just got a tread deleted because I used the word e-bay in the title.Now I'm reading a thread 3 pages long.Thats no way to treat a alliance member!P.S. I agree with you totally.

14. They're dishonest because they're trying to sell crap that isn't worth what they're trying to get for it....

15. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

As soon as they wake up .This thread will probably get deleted Its only 6.30 in the morning in california and 9.30 at my location and Sunday

16. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Not sure what the fuss is all about. I've never had a problem buying or selling on ebay, and I've bought and sold a ton of stuff, mostly vintage BMW motorcycles and parts. Just make sure you know what you are doing/buying. THAT is the biggest issue with ebay users, imo. Do your homework and use all the tools that ebay offers and you will have a good experience.

If you see that those Appleton spots are mis-matched, and that bothers you, then don't bid on them!

17. silent rick

silent rick

this post is so 3 1/2 years ago

18. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

wow 3 and a half years ago ,I thought it was a new post ,This must be the only ebay post ,

19. Gman0046

Gman0046

Don't know what I'd do without eBay. Found stuff on there I couldn't find elsewhere. I've also sold many car parts on there I had no use for.

20. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

+2 on that

21. Displayman

Displayman

I,ve sold tons of stuff that I couldn't sell locally, mostly car parts, trim, etc.
    Only had one bad purchase, guy sold me an outboard mtor that he said ran
    real good. Picked it up, put it in a barrel with water , fired it up, didn't pump any
    water. Called the guy, he would do anything, contacted Ebay they talked to him,
    and he sent me money to fix it. I agree, check to see the sellers feedback.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Bob - Hampshire, Illinois

22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I think some sellers "hide or include" the listing fee in their shipping fee so the buyer unknowingly also pays for the sellers listing fee.

23. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

You're wrong. There are millions of honest sellers on ebay. I am one of them.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ancient thread but I've always stood by a few simple rules

Check the sellers feedback and see if he has sold a number of items without complaint. I don't usually bid on items sold by someone with low feedback numbers either. Let someone else be the guinea pig for that seller.

Ask questions about the item and about shipping before bidding. I had a set of O/T seats on Ebay for a very low starting price and the winning bidder didn't want to drive across San Francisco to the Greyhound bus station to save himself over 100 on shipping and then didn't want to pay the 70.00 Greyhound fees so we canceled the deal. Try to save someone a buck and they whine.

As a norm I don't bid on low starting price high shipping cost items unless the sum total of the cost is acceptable for said item. 25.00 item with a 5.00 bid and 20.00 shipping = 25.00 even if the actual shipping was 5.00

I've done alright on car parts but when trying to buy gifts for my wife I've had more trouble with a half dozen items than the three hundred I bought for the cars.

If you are buying new stuff for your car try to buy from a seller that actually has a store front business selling that stuff. The guys who buy store close outs and sell out of their back bedroom don't get much business from me as a norm.

Don't get caught in a damned bidding war. Set your frigging price and stick to it. Damned few items are so rare that you have to go nuts bidding to be able to have one.

25. BigRy

BigRy
    from colorado

Hate to be foul, but fuck the e-gay.

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tsonal friend of) set low starting prices and figure to make their money on their set shipping costs. With him the starting bid price and his shipping price equals what he feels he can sell and ship the item and make his profit margin and any higher bid is a bonus. Not my way of doing business but he sold three semi loads of 4x4 shocks that way when he bought a store closeout. The buyers were happy on that deal as their end cost on name brand top of the line shocks ended up being about half of the best deal a guy can find before shipping.

27. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Nice to see that someone searched up a three year old Ebay rant post and resurrected it.

Thanks.

Got news for all of you...

1. There are crooks on Ebay.
    2. People selling on Ebay are trying to make money.
    3. Not everyone on Ebay knows what it is they are selling....

OK, now back to talking about cars. Go foul up some other board with the Ebay crap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.