Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bad Banana Resurrection - 55 Chevy Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Banana, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Thank you for sharing the pics, and the updates. Most of all glad to see your ok..Good luck with the build.

2. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

Thank you for sharing this build and the history behind it. We are blessed that you have your Dad and this car to share with us.

3. Bitchen car and an even neater story!

I'll definately be following the build up!

Keep up the good work!

Sam

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  4. burnin8

burnin8
    from Manitoba

I am loving this thread. That car is a nice slice of Americana. Glad to see it survived the years, and is going to be back on the track soon. Best of luck on the build! I'll be watching intently.

5. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Thanks for everyone's interest. I'll try to keep this updated as much as I can.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  6. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Ok... time for an update. Sorry I haven't posted for a while but I have had some life interruptions. Have had some physical ailments related to the accident and also spent a week at SEMA. Then I had to get my gall bladder removed this past Friday (2 days ago). Wife has barred the door to the garage for a few days until I heal a little so I figure at least I can scan some pics while I am lounging around the house.

I left off at the end of 1967. So, I'll start with some pics from 1968. The Nomad is gone and my dad bought a new 1968 GMC 1/2 ton pick-up to tow with in April of '68.

95.jpg

96.jpg

97.jpg

This is from early 1968 also

98.jpg

The next few were taken at Peterson early in the year

99.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

Me and my dad's younger brother (my uncle) Jim

103.jpg

Below: My dad at the front and Speed at the rear and that kid that was always in the way with a bum leg.. July 6, 1968

104.jpg

Same day..

105.jpg

106.jpg

Peterson later in the year..

107.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

These next two are at Numedia

110.jpg

Looks like the valve cover is sitting on the ground. Not sure what was going on in this pic..

111.jpg

This last one is one of the few under the hood shots I have from these early days. I have studied these few pictures and I understand some of the holes I find today in the frame and on some of the surviving bracketry. At this time in '68, the car was one of the fastest local cars in the class. As dad put it, some guys wouldn't even run him by then because they "knew better"...LOL

112.jpg

The last two scans are a couple of the local newspaper blurbs from that year...

113.jpg

114.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    catdad49 likes this.
  7. slammed

slammed

These last pix are really neat.

8. hasty

hasty

Great story and nice car. Hope you recover quickly.

9. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

I know you don't need any input,BUT if you do I live about 6 doors away from the guy that built the original Bad Banana! Joe Troutman Bradford Pa. Original was a 57 4 door wagon 283 rochester injection. NHRA record holder for many years. Home track was Niagara,Niagara Falls N.Y. It was lost towing home from a race. That is when the 2 door was built Banana 2. Did not run like the wagon,so another wagon was built.A friend of mine owned it for awhile then was sold,think it went somewhere in Mich. My brother(hamber) has pictures of thease cars I am sure. What a great project your doing and I am sure it will be cool as hell ! Good Luck with it .

10. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

How many Bad Banana's were there ? The one I spoke of was not a gasser. o-well

11. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

12. Great story, it looks like all is falling in place with the reunion back in Pa. My first drag strip was Numidia as we lived in Ashland. Hope to see you at Beaver Springs. CGM

13. GASSERGUY

GASSERGUY

WAY COOL. Gather up your old photos and new ones, write something on the car, join the club and I'll get the article in the the magazine. AND... Bring your dad to the GASSER Reunion at Beaver Springs.

Ernest McIntyre, editor
    GASSSER Magazine
    www.GASSERmagazine.com

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

That would be cool! Given the history of this car I bet more than a few people would remember it and his father.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  15. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Update... Put the body back on the frame today. Got the front axle cleaned up and back in the frame. Put the body back on to see where the seat mount and roll cage needs to go. Here are some pics of the highlights.

Pretty cool to see it back in one piece with a small block between the rails... :D

115.jpg

116.jpg

117.jpg

Above is my stepson Austin. He has been a huge help so far. I plan on putting two seats in it so I can't wait to see his eyes when he goes for his first ride. :eek:

118.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg

121.jpg

122.jpg

123.jpg

124.jpg

Didn't take pics yet but we got the main hoop of the cage roughed in enough to get the seat positioned. I have a rough seat mount also fabbed up. Maybe more pics over the weekend. ;)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    catdad49 likes this.
  16. really cool story and car!

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

This is a great thread! All the vintage pics make the rebirth of the car all the more special! I always enjoy your updates keep up the good work!

18. alterbob

alterbob
    from Butler,Pa.

Looks Good Rusty Glad u are feeling Better , Bob Pm me some time

19. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

You have to go with the orange painted fenderwell headers and old vette valve covers!

20. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

what front axle are you running??

schreibz66 likes this.
  21. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

It is a 1961 Econoline axle. It was from a wrecked van back in the day and was only a couple years old. It was bent from the wreck and dad had a front end shop straighten it. I did find one of the tie rod ends was bent a little. I rebuilt the brakes, replaced both tie rod ends and went though everything. It is ready to race!! :D

I would use the valve covers but they won't fit over the valvetrain on that engine. I have to stay with tall covers for now.

The headers will be white. Just like it is in my avatar. That is what the car will look like since that is what most of the parts I have will make it into...

catdad49 likes this.
  22. Man, I love this car!!
    I sure hope to see it in person one of these days as I'm a local Michigander.

Would love to get some pics of the Bad Banana lined up against the Topolino altered I'm building.

23. treeserv

treeserv
    from n.j.

Keep up the good work.I hope to see you and your dad at beaver springs.

24. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

This is the coolest build I've seen on here. Who cares if it's 'period' just get er runnin so your pops can drive it again, i hope he is able. The photo history is outstanding, never seen a privately campaigned drag car with that many photos. Whoever took em was very smart to do so. Lastly, I know you don't want input....but...I love the way this car looked in '67 with a straight axle, black steelies, whites on the front, and no bumpers. Killer. I'm subscribed now.:cool: Kevin

25. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Rusty, looks like you are rolling along and you might have some late nights but I bet you make it to Beaver Springs in June no problem.

Jon

26. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

Rusty,

Just came across this thread. You and your dad have one bitchen 55. What outstanding documentation. I can relate to your whole project, my dad and I have a 55 HT gasser that we have run for the past 10 years or so. Hope you and I can pair up at some point. I'm in Belleville MI.

Steve

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. just read this for the first time and i have to say what a great story it is and i hope it all comes good for you and your pop and its great to see your s son gettin his hands dirty aswell.

28. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Very Cool... I can't believe I have not seen this car before. Looks like just about the same front axle, rear suspension, and headers. What engine in the car? What gear? What does it run in the 1/4?

catdad49 likes this.
  29. That's a cool story and even cooler about having the parts for that long too. Good luck on the build and making memories !

30. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

Rusty,
    I have not had the car out the past couple of seasons, I have been running my FC.

Like yours Econoline front. It's a mild solid lifter 355 w/2x4's. Doug Nash 5 speed, and an early olds with 5.13's run's 11:30's.

The car originaly ran a blown/injected 331 with a clutch flite.

Steve