Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures In A Nut Shell...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 12, 2010.

1. big creep

big creep

good point i think janet is just mad that he, or she or them? didnt think of this first! and they are jealous! plane and simple!

2. I loved the video, but, just maybe, a "Hitler is Angry because someone Spoiled Janet's Cheerios" YouTube parody would be fun, too...

3. BashingTin

BashingTin

Hi Ryan,

I think Janet's rant is a FANTASTIC complement to you personally, and your commitment to this community. Obviously you're doing something right to make the powers that be nervous.

I thought long and hard about how I would respond to this thread. Instead, I came up with a much better way of expressing myself then just writing down a bunch of words. I decided to show you my support by sending you the two quarters needed to become an Alliance Member. ;)

Enough said. :D

David

4. Neglected Legacies

Neglected Legacies
    from Nor Cal

I was away from cars for years, but started reading Street Rodder again in the 90's -- and the only interesting part of the magazine to me was "20 Years Ago in Street Rodder"...

5. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I have been a magazine buyer for a long time and will continue to buy TRJ,Traditional Rod & Kulture and maybe Hot rod delux. The largest problem with the other magazines is their lack of content. They are just adds. I actually sat down a sent an email to david Freiburger about Hot rod delux with the suggestion that they use their space to interview and document some of the oldtimers in this hobby on more difficult technical topics but I guess he must be too busy and not bother reading his emils because the mag has contiued to be full of old pictures and not much else.

6. Neglected Legacies

Neglected Legacies
    from Nor Cal

Make that "20 Years Ago in Street Rodder" and Sonny Rossi's column...

7. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

YEA!
    Thanks Ryan.

You really screwed it up for everyone!

Then again, there must be a reason that i spend more time on here than any site on the web. But its not for hotrodding! thats for sure!

8. Muttley

Muttley

Dear "Janet"

Publish magazines that dont suck and more people will buy them, until then shut your cake hole.

Sincerely, Muttley

9. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

I still remember when one of the Truck magazines that I shelled out for (full price at the Newsagents) was so shit that I actually sat down and counted pages....

343 pages, less than THIRTY pages of "content"

....and Janet still can't see why his sales keep plummeting.

10 Pages a day on here, and maybe 10 threads that I actually open......but I didn't have to pay for it! (Thank You!)

Janet does have a point about things going a little downhill here lately as it gets bigger & more 'common denominator', though. I guess, if everything you post can't be directly linked to a specific piece of metal, then its just drama.

BTW...... I love that the soundtrack to your opinion is full of cool, rather than trendabilly!

MIJ

10. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

3 words.......iPhone sideways ;)

11. this is my first post on the HAMB (awesome site BTW), ive just sorta been lurking for a while but i cant let this one lie. that arrogant SOB "janet"
    "we created this for you" i call BS. people been building hot rods long before your little rag was ever dreamt of. ill admit i do buy street rodder sometimes but if thats what your like toward the real hot rodders then you've just lost me.(i was sick of learning how to bolt in mustang 2 IFS kits ne way) not to menton all the ads. the rodders journal is the ultimate car mag/book and the only one ill buy from here on in.

ps. that vid was realy cool. cool music, cool cars. just plain cool keep up the good work

12. Carpe Noctem

Carpe Noctem
    BANNED
    from Las Vegas

We all know what opinions are like. her's is no different.

Should we take all our cues from the profit driven media and cover our cars in billet clad, L.E.D. lit, chrome painted plastic parts? Dress up in outfits we saw in grease and call ourselves "vintage"? Buy our frames/bodies/motors/transmissions from the catalogs that sponsor their magazines, then cover our cars with their stickers?

"janet" likely has never worked on his(most likely) own car and can bite me. If they have been on this site that often for so long they would know better if they have no ulterior motives. shame on them for trying to guilt you into changing what you've made. If you and your members like it Ryan, thats what counts.

13. Draggin wagon

Draggin wagon

Lap top is in order..

14. 61TBird

61TBird

The money you save by not buying Magazines could go towards your Alliance Membership....:rolleyes:

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sure, I remember buying my first Hot Rod magazine back in 1961, still have it. There has to be something special in a magazine to make me buy it today, no more blind faith. The Rodders Journal is NOT a magazine in my opinion, it has somehow traped the soul of the hobby, so has the HAMB,but it allows us to speak with it.

16. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Seriously, one of my fondest memories of my youth was getting rodding magazines.
    When I was in the 6th grade in 1961 my parents were cool enough to let me subscribe to Hot Rod, Car Craft, Rod & Custom and Drag News.
    I'd ride my bike home from elementary school and, if I was lucky, there would be some "mail" on my bed waiting for me.
    The one day that I remember most was a rainy friday (fridays were a very good day for any school kid) and all four had arrived on the same day.
    Talk about happiness overload!
    Although I had been buying them at the news-stand for awhile, this one will always be the "Holy Grail" as it was the first one that was waiting for me after school at home.

[​IMG]

All of these magazines were the inspiration for thousands of rods and customs and were the "dream books" for every kid ever who dreamed of building and driving their own rod someday. That's why the old copies of these magazines are so sought after today. They were all so important that they are still respected and looked at today to get the "period correct" aspects for a new "build".
    Street Rodder will never be viewed as historic or even relevant. The "Golden Years" had passed and SRM was most helpful in ushering in the horrid styles of the 1970's (as Hot Rod Magazine called it..."The Decade of Shame").
    I don't know anyone who lays awake at night and dreams of building a "period correct" rod from the year 1983.
    So, while the Petersen magazines up until about 1970 will be always collected, SRM will continue to be thrown in the trash.
    Before my subscription finally ran out last year, SRM didn't even make it into the house.
    Our recycling bin is right next to the mailbox.

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well said, as usual.
    C'mon, Doug, out this jagoff, tell us who Janet is!
    Ryan understandably has to be careful not to burn bridges, but a retired old hot rodder/drag guy like you? Throw him to the wolves!

18. MeanOlB

MeanOlB
    BANNED
    from The South

Okay, maybe my use of language was imprecise. I like this site, read it all the time, am usually amused by the typos, misused words, semi-literate comments and so on.

But since it costs me nothing, I really don't care. I am a proofreader, but a site like this really doesn't need one - they should just keep typing, allow the pixels to spew out, then allow them to dissipate. Really, it's not a big deal. Time passes, these posts scroll off the screen, and homonym errors go to live in the big bit bucket in the sky.

TRJ, on the other hand, and the HAMB ads printed in it, last a lot longer, and there the typos are much more glaring. Those guys really should hire someone to review what they write before they go to print.

I don't think that enjoying hot rods is incompatible with English. One can turn a wrench, imagine a car, build it and still be literate. Seriously, it can be done.

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Read your own post history. It's pretty awesome... Are you here to learn about traditional cars or teach folks how to spell? Seriously, you don't really post about cars much... Just spelling.

In the end, writing isn't scientific and the people that treat it as such usually aren't the folks that are really good at expressing themselves through words - mispelled or not. That's what a proof reader is for... :)

20. Kettleman

Kettleman

Great Video Ryan!

I also used to buy a ton of the mags, just to see what was being done. Some of the stuff was good, but I also thought WTF more than a few times.

What I have seen here on the HAMB is what got me interested in Hot Rods when I was a kid. Now I have a chance to build a car and I am having to do what all the old time rodders did, do as much as I can myself to keep the cost down and learn something new. I want to take this time to thank all the people that have given me inspiration here and at the events I have been able to attend. There is a great community here!

Thanks Ryan and all the other's who have help keep my dream alive.

And Skot, yes I am working on the car :D

I think this is the longest post I've ever made!

21. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

Ryan , here's the deal. If all of your reader's and follower's would buy one magazine rag that this guy peddles he would be on easy street. He's pissed because you're getting in his pocket. Invite him to the drags next year and show him what he's missing. Thanks Mark

22. big creep

big creep

how right you are! not one post car related. so why are you here MeanOlB mr. south???

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Well, only Ryan knows for sure and he's not talkin'.

24. big creep

big creep

Ryan is just being a gentlemen.

25. Doug
    The days when you and I were young the Mags were so much different. The only advertisement was in the rear on the Mag. Now you have to look hard to find the articles in the midst of all the advertising. StreetRodder is the worst. This months Hot Rod has 75 pages of articles, 43 pages of ads and 4 pages of index types. I used to live for the days when the new issues would come out. I still subscribe to Rod and Custom, Hot Rod and CarCraft as I have for the last 40 years.

26. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

maybe he's "janet"

27. RGG

RGG

Ok, I had to punt at page ten as I agree with everyone and need to get to the other topics to help me with my Model A build.

However, let me say what this site is to me. Growing up my dad always had the car mags subscribed to and I read all of them from an early age. We did not have much money but my dad loved old cars and he would buy a rough project fix it up and sell it and buy another one. Unfortunately, I lost my dad in 1987 and I dropped anything to do with cars since he was gone. Then around 2000 it hit me with a passion again and I bought a 29 Model A Tudor project. However, I then realized that all those years with my dad I did not pay attention and forgot everything. So, I had to re-learn everything.

Fortunately, I found the Hamb and lurked out there for many years to learn everything. Well, I am one my third project and use the Hamb everyday. I have learned much and even had my ass burned for miss-identifying a Model A cowl late one night (never drink and Hamb!).

So in conclusion, what is the Hamb? To me, it is the fact that my dad may be gone and I cannot ask him a simple question that I should know, it is that I now have thousands of dads who lived at the same time and have the same experiences as him that I can ask.

Thank God for the Hamb!

RGG

P.S. That is my dad in my avatar.

28. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

Can you imagine if Milner had perfect grammar in American Graffiti? Hmmmm...

John Milner: A field car runneth through fields depositing bovine excrement hither and tither to expedite the flourishing of thy lettuce goods.

naaaaaa...I ain't feeling it.

29. 265glide

265glide

Ryan,
    Thanks for EVERYTHING on the site!
    I am 64 and check in daily,enjoy everything.
    The H.A.M.B. keeps the flame burning for the most of us who remember when rods/customs were built/owned by the average"Joe"
    Keep a firm hand on the tiller and "Janet" can go to a NHRA or NSRA event:eek:
    thanks again,Doug.
    ps. hope some day to run my steel 26 bucket down El Mirage:)

30. weldtoride

weldtoride

An earlier post, #468 by Mark in Japan, also mentioned page counting. Several years ago I had a conversation at a car show with a rep from Primedia. I was complaining about the small photos and captions that were prevalent in the tech articles. I even opened one of the magazines on his stand to illustrate my point. I have middle age eyes, and commented that much of their readership must be similarly afflicted. I also commented that there was no problem viewing the full page ads, but I was not interested in the ads, as catalogs are free if I should ever want any.

The Primedia rep, candidly confessed that often their own writers get upset about the same photo cropping and shrinking, and explained that the magazine really existed to sell ads.

To illustrate his point, he said that they have to have someone carefully measure every inch of pre production each month before going to press. If they exceed a certain percentage of advertising, they loose the media postal rate and must mail their “magazine” at a much higher bulk rate.

In the last minutes of layout, they may decide to cram another ad in if there’s room or squeeze down someone’s photos or article to make room.

Just as an aside, as I reserve my freedom to make careless and reckless statements, I may spell carelussly and recklussly as well.