Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures In A Nut Shell...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Sour f---in' grapes!

I'm a former newspaper editor so I can say this with a tiny little bit of authority: Being in print sucks right now, and I should know. The joint I wrote for went out of business, in part because of the Internet, and there really aren't a lot of jobs.

But I still hate whiners. If everybody in print would just shut the hell up and do their jobs, a lot of things would improve right off the bat. There's a lot of dysfunction out there, and bitching about it doesn't make it better.

And you know what? I bet "Janet" works for some place that already has a website--so there you go. She needs to stop complaining and make her website a better place, 'cause I have yet to find a print car magazine with a website that's remotely useful or fun.

(Oh, and shave, 'cause a woman with a beard belongs in a sideshow.)

The HAMB, on the other hand, rules--and I like being able to speak my mind (mostly).

Jeez--what the hell's wrong with people.

Theo

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Well, Hot Rod and R&C were the tools that spread rodding from a tiny cult in the '40's to a nationwide phenomenon by 1952...but sometime, probably before Janet's day there, they ceased to be technical hot rodding publications supported by advertisers deeply involved in their communities and became advertising media for mail order suppliers supported by an occasional flicker of useful tech...

and..."When is the last time a magazine editor rushed out to help a reader broken down on the side of the road?..." Hey, when was the last time there was an editor who would have been USEFUL with a wrench at the roadside?? Or a reader whose breakdown did not involve a fully dealer-supported SUV pulling an enclosed trailer containing his "hotrod"?
    Holy cow.
    There are some possibly good trends at the magazines right now...but I think they will follow the ratrod trend right back into obscurity because of their failure to understand the trend of grass root building they seem to have noticed.
    This Janet, at this moment, seems much more of a dead tree than her magazines!
    Anybody got a streetrodder editor list handy? They don't seem to have one on their site.

3. hasty

hasty

Wow, that lit a fuse!
    I really enjoy a good magazine - a very different thing from a website. If this cathedral is killing the book, it is a pity, but also a failure of the magazines to appreciate their new territories. The criticisms I have read here about the magazines referred to by Jane are consistently ones of trust - the belief that those magazines are not made in the reader's interest. If they are losing their market it is not because of the internet, something that can also grow the interest base (and therefore their circulation), but because they have lost the readership.

This is a very special place, so thank you for making it happen.

4. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Well as stated above I did not read all the responses, however; the HAMB is a great site. Ryan you are, in my kurt, ignorant, little opinion, the modern day version of "Peterson Publication"... OOOP's, going to be a storm over that comment...

However; here is my reason for making that comment.

I read an article some time ago which stated 30% of the careers which the children of today are to be employed by, do not exist at the present time due to our ever changing enviornment, advancements in technology, etc...

This is what has occured with the advent of the HAMB as compared to printed material, Ryan's world which so many of us enjoy... A change in technology which has opened up the Hot Rod print world...

Ryan thanks !

And to all the mag's, Rod & Custom, Hot Rod, TRJ (Beyond Excellent), etc... I purchase more of your magazines now as compared to numerous years ago. Why ? Because I am very fortunate to have the income.... Thanks to all the great hot rod magazines of years gone by and future issues I am looking forward too....

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  5. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I like the HAMB, and atleast 112,395 other people do too.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And...I once owned every single issue of R&C, and I do buy it and find useful stuff in it now...but it went through a phase in which it was a bad clone of a bad time at Streetrodder, so crushingly bad I could not quite bring myself to buy the copies in front of me at the newsstand. I walked away, wondering at the fact that I was blowing a hole in a decades long collecting effort simple because my magazine had reached right off of the newstand and flipped my ignition switch to APATHY. It is better now, but it'll get worse, because they see building a rod out of old cars as a temporary fad that will soon go back to the normalcy of fiberglass and chinese stainless...
    You cannot run an advertising medium on '32 Fords and four speed hydros...you gotta have China and mail order warehouses.

7. Ed Zackley

Ed Zackley
    from Hokeyhomey

What I heard was, "We're gonna compete with you in a qualitative manner; we're gonna get better....". Take it as a veiled compliment :cool:.

What better place for competition than in the world of hot rods?

8. catdad49

catdad49

Hey Ryan, keep doing what you're doing!! I may not have been immersed in the west coast car culture like some people (due to living on the east coast), I still marvel at the information that is made available thru the JJ. I have been involved in the hobby from the time my uncle gave me my first little books(circa 1960) until now and I like to think that I'm pretty informed on what the latest and greatest trends are, as well as the earlier ones (doesn't matter if I like them or not). Not having been there, I don't pretend to know how so and so built what, but I do know what appeals to me. I know I may be rambling, but I think that you need to know that you have support for the great job that you do!! Have fun and be safe, Cat

9. Man, check out that beast in the staging lanes- ooh- it says 'HAMB' on the door..

10. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

"illegitimi noncarborundum" (don't let the bastards wear you down)!

The print industry is just trying to blame their troubles on someone else. It's the way of the world today. They need to move into the current century.

11. choprodinc

choprodinc

This ain't rocket science guys... saying that a blogg or magazine made this culture is like saying that Star Trek made NASA. This culture exists because of the men like Henry Ford and others! Janet and anyone else who doesn't realize this should continue living in their fake worlds. The JJ is a great site... Ryan you are doing a great job and it sound like Janet is pissed that JJ wasn't her idea/creation. Typical women bullshit!!!

12. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

When I first became a member it was like I had found hundreds of kindred spirits. Folks that knew that money cant buy taste and that for most of us the highly chromed multi dollar show cars were not going to be sitting in our garages any time soon.

But also a group that was proud of the cars they built, some more highly detailed than others, but all that were built with sweat and blood and whatever budget was available.
    People who knew every nut and bolt on their ride because by God they put them there. Folks who didn't see the need to appologize for faded paint, a cracked glass or a blanket thrown over the front seat to hide the frayed original upolstery.

I still buy magazines and enjoy browsing through them but like all print media they are struggling as new media comes into play. They are becoming a part of a laid back time (that we all love) when people sat down and browsed the morning paper, weren't bombarded by 24 hour news and could relax. In other words history.

The thing they may have forgotten is that trend setters are rare, often missunderstood, and frequently villified... but always remembered.

Good job Ryan.

13. Weasel

Weasel

It's all about evolution - if you don't evolve you become extinct - ask any dinosaur....

14. rainh8r

rainh8r

It sounds like Janet doesn't know the definition of history or tradition. Neither begin when you are born and they both carry on when you're gone, contrary to some opinions.

15. TERPU

TERPU

What? The Street Rodder parts catalog is still in print? Street Rodder Sheesh

I love this place, yes it has it's moments of idiocy. But anytime there's more than two people involved one's bound to find the others logic flawed at times. The HAMB is the greatest.

I know that an event I miss and wanted to see will be on-line in about 12 hours or sooner to see friends and pictures of totally cool stuff I'm into. Thanks Photogs!
    Magazines have the hard copies for me in print up to three months later, this is just the nature of it.

Like all have said already Janet is lost and sees ugliness coming and like many takes no ownership in his own demise or possible liberation. Ryan took a thought and managed it into a dynamo of communication and influence. Much greater than I am sure ever imagined. This is not Ryan's doing, that is the Car public talking and that's what Janet missed. He thought the tail was wagging the dog, common for corporate thinking. He is no different than the head of a failed S&L. Ryan did however create an open free place for like minded folks to communicate. Nothing more or less for this I am thankful. I am also glad it has turned into a way for Ryan to support his family, after all America is about getting a good life from doing what you love with alot of hard work. To begrudge him for this has no place, in fact Janet really needs to look into his soul because he has lost the very reason for "it".

I still subscribe to R&C because I like it, The HAMB I visit at least three times a day because I love it. I have learned an incredible amount of things on the HAMB. I feel sorry for people who are closed minded or have myopic scope. Janet take off the blinders realize your future and you will be alot happier.

Viva La HAMB

Tim

16. Ryan, I’ve been reading your website for almost a decade. I’ve had enough. In the beginning, people used to worry about your site destroying the fabric of hot rodding. I blew it off thinking there is no way a simple kid could have so much influence. I shouldn’t have. You are well on your way to doing just that. Well, maybe not you but the people you serve.
    With a complete lack of appreciation for the men that brought this industry up, you have allowed the audience to speak their mind carelessly and recklessly. Hot Rod, Street Rodder, and Rod & Custom Magazines created this world for you and you allow your users to trash each on an almost daily basis. I can’t and won’t continue to read this trash and I want to warn you about the reputation you are leaving in your wake of destruction. While your users are spitting this trash from their mouths, it is you the print world blames for stealing our hard work.
    In a nut shell, I ask you this. What is The Jalopy Journal to you? A way to “spread the gospel” or a toy for your “hoodlums?”
    To us, it is not the beginning of the end. That is a promise.
    - Janet

A classic case of "blame the messenger".

It's not Ryan's fault that thousands of former magazine readers/purchasers/subscribers no longer find them to be

interesting or relevant.

How did that happen ? :confused:

I'll give you a hint, it started before anyone

had even heard of the internet.

Hotrodding, and car racing, existed before the first magazine dedicated to them.
    The magazines used to document what people were already doing.
    Now they try to drive purchase decisions and style fads.
    The lowly readership has figured it out, and they vote with their wallets.

"To us, it is not the beginning of the end. That is a promise."

The beginning of the end, has come as gone, you missed it Janet.

17. LastMinuteMark

LastMinuteMark
    from So. Cal.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  18. veedolpaul

veedolpaul

I subscribe to R&C, Street Rodder, Hemmings, TRJ, give them a quick flip through and done. Most of my magazine time is now spent here. Keep it up Ryan because we all know paper print is going the way of the Edsel.

19. jaygryph

jaygryph
    from oregon

I quit caring about HotRod magazine after years of subscription when they started making up words for trends they wanted to catch on. I forget what word they tried coining a few years ago but it was silly, and did not exist, nor should it have. Frankly, it was insulting for them to tell me what I should call what I enjoy.

I have a problem with forced ideas, trends, and issues. Jalopnik, while rather entertaining, is on my s*it list for their constant JOIN OUR FACEBOOK NOW posts that you can't comment on to let them know how irritating they are. Their 'stars before your commenting will show up' system is also aggravating in the same way as print magazines. They want to tell me what I should think and say about something I enjoy. If they don't like it, they won't print/or easily allow it to be shared.

It wont change, so I go where I have a voice.

In that case, I go here.

20. ratstar

ratstar

Ryan, I think you know you have created a great and beautiful thing here. I know that the whole 12 pages of comments on it within the same day proves that alot of people come here for one reason or another. Whatever those reasons may be we keep coming back. I quit subscribing to half the magazines out there because of this site. This site is ten times better than them and I get a new issue every time a log on. I think alot of people feel the same way.

I'll always be a part of the HAMB family and I would like to thank you for bringing it all together. Hoodlums or not, the HAMB is one of the best things on the net or in publication.

21. metalshapes

metalshapes

My guess?

Board Rooms, Target Groups, and other bullshit that has nothing to do with Cars...

22. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Well I for one enjoyed the video very much...

Thanks for posting it,

Screw all the other Bull Shit....

23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Well as I see it. You hit the "Big Time" as soon a "Janet" hit the send button.
    Its not about being a leader in Revolutionizing Street and Hotrodding.
    You have stepped on the "Big Money Toes"
    The Hamb is the best thing to ever happen to hotrodding.
    Said it many times. Thanks Ryan for all the time you invest in this Hokey Ass Messageboard.
    Love ya.
    Rick

24. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I have two things to say to "Janet"

1st Amendment rights: Freedom of fucking speech bitch! May I also remind you that this includes the freedom of the press!

SO maybe these jill and jane mamby pamby folks created this world....but failed to maintain it, therefore the people have spoken and the press has answered a need for raw interpretation of traditional needs.

25. daddio211

daddio211

Written like a true street rodder with elitist mentality. I recognize the style and know just who it is. Please don't ask me fellas, I'll take it to the grave out of respect for Ryan and the site.

I wrote a letter to "Janet" a few years ago citing what an amazing hobby this is, and how in my mid-30's (back then) it was cool that there were no age barriers. Most of my friends are/were in their 60's and 70's. Few young guys around here "got it". There's more these days though.

Janet asked if he could print my letter, I obliged. What I didn't know (until the mag was published) is that Janet took my words and twisted the hell out of them, making my words the exact opposite of what they were. He then proceeded to lecture me (in print) how I should change my circle of friends. Janet is a douche bag, and I told him so. I cancelled my subscription, like that mattered.

So Ryan, what is the Jalopy Journal to you? I know what it is to me! :D

I guess Janet has sunk our ship here. Time to close the doors and forget our secret handshakes. Janet has kicked in our teeth, taken our toys and left.

But if you decide to be defiant of his threats (To us, it is not the beginning of the end. That is a promise.) I'll stick by your side and keep on hot rodding... while Janet keeps on street rodding.

Eric

26. I love all of my old magazines and even some of the new ones...one thing is for sure though: They may have mega subscriber lists with myself being one of them but prior to the HAMB they were all scattered around the globe and I had no idea where my hot rod brethern were...now I can hop in my car and go from coast to coast (provide I didn't screw something up in the assembly process!)and I have friends in every state who will invite me to dinner, to crash at their house for the night, who will run me a part or more often than not a gallon or two of gas at a moment's notice...the HAMB has made it like there is a gigantic garage where we are all hanging out with our best buddies, shooting the breeze, talking cars, wrenching on cars and none of us really wants to go home but would rather hang out there all the time.

27. hemi

hemi

I will add this, and it is open to ANY print magazine:

If you want more traffic through your website, clean your site up. I don't want to be hit with pop up adds, seven thousand different sub boards and so many ads that the content is a slender gutter down the middle of the page.

I love Car Craft... I would like to communicate with other Car Crafters... I will not go near their board because it is a digital kudzu patch...

28. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Those rags are having a hard time playing catch up, and it's got Janet's panties in a bunch. Too bad for him.

Montage was spot on Ryan, thanks.

29. mgbtc

mgbtc

Ryan;
    It's too bad "Janet" feels the way they do about free speech. I read the Journal every day, and for the most part really appreciate the comments from all. Keep up the great work, remember small minds have small thoughts!

30. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

I like old cars....
    a mag full of adds just aint enough
    and I think it is people not paper that made this way of life