Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. c57heaven

c57heaven

thanks for that link. neat pics.

2. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

YES SIR.... We Loves 'da Biscaynes!!! :D

Larry

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  3. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hey Thunderkiss, Thanks for the COOL Olds racing pic. I see you have a liking for years other than '65. I don't know who the "pilots" are but it still is a great shot. Keep 'em comin' !!! Is your "Club Coupe" going to be re-inCARnated as a racer? Sure sounds like a good one to start with. I am "toying" with the idea of building a re-creation of "Anderson Olds" first racer, a '65 f85 Club Coupe 442 stick with a close friend. Still in the thinking stages--kinda got too many irons in the fire though,--I still haven't had the '69 W31 out to the track with the "new" drivetrain yet and I just bought another Olds; a real nice un-restored '72 Cutlass S. Until next time..... Dave.

4. Clanceman427

Clanceman427

And, they delivered to your door in special trucks!

Kevin

5. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

The photos on this link are AWESOME!!

If you followed drag racing on a regional level (D1 & 3) and national level back in the 60's and 70's, you gotta look through all of these. Really brings back some memories!

Thanks for sharing this!

Larry

6. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Id guess that you could say Jr. Stock racing began when the first stockers hit the drag strips. The last "OFFICIAL" year for what was called Jr. stock was 1971 on 7 inch tires. 1972 was when all of the Jr. stockers became Super Stockers. Stock became a different "animal" in 1972.

7. heavyhitter 57

heavyhitter 57

hi im new to the hamb i have a 66 belair wagon formerly jerry mc clanahans car i would love to see pics of this car when jerry owned it he was world champ in 73 74 and 78 thank you

8. heavyhitter 57

heavyhitter 57

oh and i want to say hi to tony janes chuck norton and greg reimer i sold my car and im rebuilding my camaro so i can come out and bracket race ill see you guys soon

9. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

A. J.
    In 1967, the 67' Camaro 396/375 HP L-78 convertible could run in A/Stock or
    SS/D. (see BatCar)
    The 67' 396/375 HP coupe (ie; Grumpy Jenkins) could run only in SS/C.

In 1967, the 396/325 HP L-35 67' Camaro could run in B/S or SS/E, and
    the 67' 396/375 HP SS Chevelle's could run in A/S or SS/D.

In 1968, the 68' Camaro coupe 396/375 HP L-78 (w/L-89 option) could run in A/S or SS/D.
    pc

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  10. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Thanks for the information!

-Joe

11. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

12. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

This yellow '56 sold @ $44,000...
    This same car had sold the year before at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale for about that same amount.

At this RM "Icons Of Speed" sale you coulda bought the 'Bad Habit' AA/FA for $41,800...
    so whats that say about the popularity of Jr.Stockers &/or '56 Chevys?

http://www.rmauctions.com/auction-results-overview.cfm?SaleCode=RW09

http://www.rmauctions.com/auctionresults.cfm?SaleCode=RW09

Larry

13. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

SS/RS,

John Lingenfelter ran a 69' Camaro convertible 350/255 HP in SS/NA in 1972.
    Crushed the record with a 12.25 run at the 72' U.S. Nationals.

That car combination could also run in L/SA in 71'.

pc

14. Lyn Smith

Lyn Smith

In 1972 Me and a friend went to the Gatornationals in Gainesville Fl.John Lingenfelter stayed in the same motel we did,and he brought the Camaro back to the motel each night and changed the cam every night.

15. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Lyn,
    That Camaro was a runner.
    Changed the complete outlook in SS/NA in 72' and 73'.

SS/RS.
    Dick Smothers did drive a 68' 4-4-2 in SS/F at the 68' U.S. Nationals at Indy.
    SS/F was a loaded class.
    Ernie Musser 68' Z-28
    Ronnie Sox 68' GTX 440
    Dave Strickler 68' Z-28

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  16. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Lyn - was that the year he was low qualifier at about .5 under?
    I also remenber him being low qualifier at one race with the later vette (72 or 73) at about .7 under? What a whizz ---- RIP john!! The racing world felt a huge void when he departed!!

17. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

[QUOT Dick Smothers did drive a 68' 4-4-2 in SS/F at the 68' U.S. Nationals at Indy.
    SS/F was a loaded class.
    Ernie Musser 67' Z-28
    Ronnie Sox 68' GTX 440
    Dave Strickler 68' Z-28[/QUOTE]

Paul -( reference your posting #7931 above)
    Got any pix of Smothers at 68 Nationals with the 68 SS/F 442 car with the Smothers Bros paint scheme? I've never seen any pix of that car with a 68 nose on it? Only pix i have ever seen are with the 69 nose on the car in order to emulate all of the forthcoming 69 Smother Brothers racing team cars? That car, with the 69 nose on it could not legally run in SS in 68, so I would REALLY like to have a pic for my file of it racing in 68 trim?
    Thanks
    Now -- he could have had the car there - exhibition style -- and make time trial runs but not actually being in class competition? Thats a distinct possibility since the Smothers project was a joint marketing/racing effort with Oldsmobile.
    I've been wrong before --- wont be the last time either - if someone can verify that car actually raced in class competiton at 68 Nats?

18. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

We were pitted next to Lingenfelter one year at the Mile Highs when he was running that Bad Ass A/ED comp. car, and besides running the valves and the usual between round maintenance that you should do, they would actually drop the trans. pan after every run for inspection and to change the fluid & filter.

He told me they did this because "the extreme temps. produced by the hi-stall converters would actually breakdown the tranny fluid function during each run" (realize that each run only lasted about 6.70-6.80 sec. (with speeds near 200 mph) and this was with a Big Block Olds / Chevy & a Powerglide, so it was nothing like our jr.stockers & super stockers in this thread).

Moral of this story and Lyn's is that racing is Hard Work, and if you are gonna be the best you gotta work even that much harder than everybody else.

Besides the racing, John taught me a life's lesson about business also. God Bless You John!

(sorry if this is off topic)

Larry

19. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I believe most Jr. Stock guys on here wouldnt walk across the street to watch the nitrous assisted, turbo charged, blower crap:cool: running in 10.5 ! Take away the power adders and then you might have something worth watching as most cant get down the track side by side without blowing the tires away. Kind of like "TOP FOOL" and FUEL HA HA CARS !

20. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

67 W-30,
    Check out the 1968 U.S Nationals on YouTube
    Hurst Drag Racing, 1965-1968, Part 4
    At the 7:10 mark, Dick Smothers is driving a 68' Olds.
    It has a 68' nose, doors and tail.
    Classed in SS/F on the rear pillar.
    Not sure if it was part of the Super Stock entrants list.

paul

21. Hoosier Hurricane

Hoosier Hurricane

Lingenfelter had a quote on the back of one of his cars, possibly his M/S Chevelle convertible. It said, "Some men have become moderately wealthy drag racing. They started out as millionaires".

One evening he saw me putting belt dressing on my blower belts (supercharged '57 Ford stocker), asked why I was doing that. I told him it was to make sure they didn't slip, the car wouldn't run the index if they slipped. He said, "must be nice to only have to dress the belts between rounds to keep the car running on the index". His company picks up some sponsorship at the Muncie strip, I just wish he were still coming here. RIP John.

22. heavyhitter 57

heavyhitter 57

i remember john goin 11.08 in that smog motor 76 vette in ss/la he broke the motor so he hired a helicopter to take him to decatur indiana to get a spare short block got it all together only to have some sillicone block the fuel line 1st rd i always will remember his great smile and brilliant motor knowledge rip john

23. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

"AMEN" Thanks Terry

Terry Bell likes this.
  24. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

Anybody able to I.D. the owner or driver of the roll-over Fairlane in post #7895 & #7898??

Just curious.

Larry

25. heavyhitter 57

heavyhitter 57

maybe greg foreman?

26. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Matt,

The 68' Ford 428 Cobra-Jet Mustangs and 68' SS 396/350 HP Camaro's could run SS/E and/or SS/EA in 1968.
    Also could run C/S or C/SA.

As for your Wally Booth question.
    Wally Booth ran the 68' emerald-green 68' SS 396/350 HP Camaro coupe.
    Won the SS/E class at the 68' Super/Stock Magazine Nationals (August 68' at
    New York National).
    Was the SS/E class runner-up at the Indy Nationals (Labor Day 68'), but was the #2 SS/E qualifier, and qualified for Super/Stock Eliminator.
    Was the 68' Nationals Runner-Up in Super/Stock Eliminator. Got beat by
    Arlon Vanke in a 68' SS/B Hemi Cuda in the Finals.

pc

27. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I think Wally ran the 396/325 HP version like Arons Camaro in SS/EA. The only difference in the engine was the cam and in S/S any cam was allowed as we all know.

28. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Paul -
    you're correct. I have seen that video before and didnt realize it had the 68 nose on it. It may have been in class competition,but it wasnt competitive! I doubt it ever got out of the 12s. Sox's SS/F just ahead of it in the video was a REAL SS/F car.! LOL
    Thanks for sharing the link!

29. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

You must mean the green '73 Coupe. We pitted next to him on day during the Gators (D/S '69 383 'Cuda) and was amazed at the amount of work he did to see what worked and what didn't!! One morning he changed a gear and ran and came back and changed the cam timing...Ran again and liked it!I neve knew how faxt he went because he would break the beams and run all trhe way though or back off in high gear....That car was wicked fast, anywhere in the country! REALLY fast in Gainesville or Suffolk!! That same year Bernie Agaman had the blue '71 Corvette in SS/CA that was a miles under the index, but broke an axle and killed the tree!! Wonder where those cars are today?? That blue aluminum head 454 was a killer, too!!

30. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Johns 73 Vette belongs to Div 1 Linke brothers. Its painted a dark red now and is still fast runnning SS/JA. 9.90's. Dont know where Bernies car is.