Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 olds super 88 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Razorshotrods, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

Hey Guys, This is a question I have been debating.....The chrome on the 55 olds I have is pitted and rusted etc... I have cleaned it the best i can with steel wool etc.. but still looks like shit.
    I cant afford to rechrome and was wondering if i should paint then with chrome paint? I know it isnt the correct way but should i leave it or paint it? The car is a candy maroon color and the paint isnt the best. Just wondering if you think it looks cheap?

2. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Real looks better than fake....

3. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

Thats what i thought.

4. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

yea man, don't paint it. just look around online, at junk yards etc and find something thats in better shape. thats been my life for the past oh......

5. 55olds88

55olds88

crappy looks better then any kind of paint my $0.02

6. F&J

F&J

Good idea. If you knew people in those dry states up north...Dakotas, Nebraska, etc and some areas in Canada. Hamb pics showed lots of 50s cars sitting in junkyards with what looked like pretty nice chrome. Problem is, how to find these yards and how to go get it.

7. roddinron

roddinron

That's pretty much what I always thought, but if you use a nice silver and not that crappy chrome in a can, it can actually look kind of classy.
    Bad chrome fits with bad paint, but looks even worse when the body work and paint is done a nice satiny silver can look good, and clean the car up. The trick is to not try to pretend that it's chrome.

Attached Files:

• 117.jpg
      117.jpg
      File size:
      86.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  8. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Paint on chrome parts never looks good in my opinion. Just my 2 cents.

9. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

thats what i was thinking, something like that pic as above, looks good but....Think I will let majority win this one.

10. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Do what you think looks right not what the majority says, thats no way to build a car. The paint in that pic is tasteful just not what I would do on my own car. You should do what you think is right and not what everyone else says.

11. I'd say wait until you have the money to get it re-chromed. Why go cheap at all when you could just be patient and do it right the first time. I know its not super cheap but there is a place in San Diego that just did my friends shoebox bumpers for $650.00. I'm sure that there are places in a large area like Phoenix that can do it for that or cheaper.

12. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

If it was mine I would take all the chrome off and either weld the holes up or look for replacements for the bad pieces I have .
    I would NEVER paint the chrome and think that would be OK ! :eek:

Retro Jim