Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new 33 ford project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D ROD, Jul 22, 2010.

1. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

34 fivers look great chopped hard. Is that about 6 inches?

2. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Glad you "manned up" and did it how you wanted to.... Don't worry about everyone crying about chopping it.

3. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Amen! If I'm ever lucky enough to get a 33/34 body like that, it's gonna get whacked the same way! Looks bitchin'!

4. Idaho/Dave

Idaho/Dave
    from Idaho

a little to to much for my taste, what if the states put a windshield height minimum ?

5. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha mate - great to see the progress. Im torn with what to do with mine but you are helping the process and you know how good my one is. :)

6. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

jalopykid, I believe we went 7'' in the rear and 7.5'' in the front.

Hey Pete great to hear from you, I was wondering how your new project was coming along. You know how I feel about that score, keep me informed of your progress.

7. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine is still in Cali mate. Just bought another house in Australia and I'll be working in China until Dec '11 at this stage. Really am wondering whether to keep it or not as wont get to it for ages. :(

Loving your chop - we have to have a minimum of 8". Hey do you need the torque tube and drive shaft from yours?

8. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Speaking of which, did you get that channeled 5 window back into Aus?

9. mark 52

mark 52
    from Ottawa

I think the chop looks great. Do you have any new pictures of it going back together.

10. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Looking forward to more updates!

I don't want to hi jack the thread so Idaho/Dave, do you have some pictures you can send me of yours I can check out? I love the stance, looks too cool!

11. robleticia

robleticia

Chop looks bitchen! Can't wait for some new pics!

12. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Looks Killer D!....

Building a car is a form of self expression..Stock or not,Build it your way..Tell the naysayers to join the AACA club..
    ..Kudos,bro!

13. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Chope looks killer! 7.5"!!! That's the spirit!

Nope, I'm thinking of keeping in the States for a while and taking in some shows.

14. thunderplex

thunderplex

X2, I agree

15. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Get a grip.

16. I might as well weigh in here too, because nobody has touched on this.

I'm all for chopping original cars, stripping them down, whatever the condition is, as long as the original car (as you find it) doesn't hold some historical value to the hot rod world. That's a pretty obvious statement.....hahah

Now, on to the next thing. Salt flat cars are purpose built cars, so if you're actually going to race this thing, then you've got the right idea.

However, if you just like the look of a salt flat car, but you're building a car for yourself and want to drive it on the street and enjoy it....I think you're going to be in for a really expensive surprise!

I guess what I'm saying is that the chop is too extreme for a street driven car...IMO. Some guys need a shoehorn to squeeze into their salt racers, which is fine, it's a race car. But you don't wanna spend a shit load of cash to feel like 15 lbs of beans in a 5 lb can on a 5 hour drive.

We don't really know the purpose of the car, so it leaves alot of grey area.

My 2 cents...doesn't really matter now anyway.

17. I have to agree that visibilty is going to suck with that radical a chop! the side windows are too narrow to stick your head out to see stoplights. Maybe one of those prism thingies on the dash would do the trick? Either way, the car looks awesome and it's for you and not for the masses! I have had family and freinds telling me not to 'hot rod' my '29 Chevy because it's in good original condition, but I am not into driving around in an antique car.

18. Looks AWESOME chopped!!! i wouldnt go that much... cuz i wouldnt fit in it being 6'5"ish, but look like its goona kill my first born. glad you did it the way you wanted to, and didnt listen to everyone else.:D

19. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

ls1yj likes this.
  20. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Too extreme for a street driven car?

I swear, some of you guys that sit around and make up these stupid rules about what hotrodding is or isn't, are pretty amazing. If you spent half of that time in the shop working on a car, maybe you would post something worth reading.

21. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

It still amazes me how many restorers we have on this board. If not restorers then STREET RODDERS. Not disparaging either but they have their own home and it's NOT here.

Frank

22. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Different look, keep posting pics of the updates!

23. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

All model 40's should be chopped LIKE ALOT!...........well done

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  24. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

quote[It still amazes me how many restorers we have on this board. If not restorers then STREET RODDERS. Not disparaging either but they have their own home and it's NOT here.

Frank]

Well said!

25. Master of None

Master of None

I love a hammered 33, any ideas on a color yet? Please say deep gloss black or a deep shade of red.

26. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hehe go for it mate! Will be really hard for me not to axe mine once the fenders come off but I must have an 8" opening for the windshield :(

27. GARY?

GARY?

Looks great!

The SCTA would frown on that one though. I think they're rule for the salt or El Mirage is vertical measurement of 8 inches for the windshield:D

Sure would look the place out there though.

28. slammedlead

slammedlead

Nice Chop! Here is my 34 3 window.

Attached Files:

29. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I guess if it had IFS, a SBC and painted red (so long as it WASN'T chopped)that would be more acceptible to the naysayers. It's too bad everyone can't appreciate the craftmanship,vision and downight BALLS to build a car like this..
    Takes HUGE stones to build this ride..You da Man,D!
    Can't wait to see it in the flesh...

ls1yj likes this.
  30. reefer

reefer

"Jersey Suede II".....it must be something in the water around there lol....car looks great, I love 33/34 five windows..they wear a chop so well.

Keep `em coming.