Register now to get rid of these ads!

preventing mice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1968pickup, Oct 30, 2010.

1. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

You have to be careful of poisons like decon etc. The mice can eat it then be caught by a cat or dog (read family pet) and then they eat the mouse and wind up dead. Happened to us years ago. Some don't like cats and justify it as fate but the one you get may be some little girls pet.

2. Bought a '34 truck this past summer. Got it home and pulled out the seats. Dryer sheets everywhere, and a huge mouse house in the backing of the cushion. Don't know what to make of that, other than the mice might have liked the smell....Dunno. :D

3. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used the electronic pest repellers sold in places like Home Depot in the garage and campers for many years, and have never had any mice problems. You are supposed to move them every so often, so they don't get used to the direction of sound. This is what has worked for me. Also don't leave any food sources for them.

4. cats work... if the cat is a mouser, i had one that was, i have one know that doesn't. poison and or traps for mice, dogs for company

5. using the bucket setup works even better if you fill it with used motor oil! those little fuckers absorb it like a sponge.

6. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

We had a BIG rat problem on a jobsite one time (big rats and lots of 'em). On Fridays we would set some sheet metal ducts on end, maybe 2' high and 12x12, throw some chicken bones in the bottom and put a 2x4 ramp up. Rats went in and ate each other, got disposed of on monday.

7. While we are on this subject........How do you get the smell of mice piss out of your car??

8. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

what they said.
    This is my cat "Dirty Doug"
    18 pounds of "New York City" Cat I saved from the street and brought
    with me to Kansas City
    I don't have mice

FRITZ

Attached Files:

9. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Hot vinegar, over and over.

10. diggers4life

diggers4life

Had a cat in my garage. He smelled worse and was more destructive than the mice. Besides that, I watched him chase a mouse INTO the garage one time.

I'm just not a cat lover I guess...

Decon works for me.

11. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Am using cut up bars of Irish Spring bath soap here. Read that it might work ok.. Got a '77 Mustang II here for a future drag car project here and recently I was given a Nissan 4x4 pickup for a parts truck that was used by Camp Wehinahpay (Sacramento, NM).. It had a problem with no accelleration, and when I got it home, the accellerator pump linkage was missing... Both are full of mouse turds, that will need cleaning yet..

With a cat, one needs to find one, that stays outside and that doesn't like to piss on the seats.. THAT IS THE WORSE SMELL EVER!!!!!!!!!! Good luck!...duane

12. henryj429

henryj429

I've tried everything over the years. Bounce and Irish Spring don't do the job. Dcon works great, but you have to hope the mouse won't crawl into your car and die there. That smell is worse than mouse piss. I've tried various electronic pest repellers. Most are junk, but the one made by Black and Decker really works. It is load as hell and will drive you nuts, but for a remote storage building...highly recommended!

13. my mouser decided one night to claw the newly upholstered seats of a customers seats. he was just about the same size as the piece of hide needed to repair it so...

14. I knew a guy that loaded his .22 with birdshot and would sit in his garage and shoot at them. I repaired more little dents on his rides than I could count, and he never did hit any rodents. I don't reccomend that.

I've used Irish Spring and it works, but I'd take out all food sources jsut to makes sure. It also helps if you make it uncomfortable for them, work on your car or visit it often, don't let the little bastards get comfortable.

15. Black Primer

Black Primer

I have bait bars placed around the garage and a couple of glue traps inside the cab. Just remember to check the glue traps every few days.

16. ARTSWRK

ARTSWRK

17. Deuces

Deuces

He almost looks like mine... :D I found my little guy under my car one cold morning last October... He looked to be about 8 er 9 weeks old.. So I brought him in the house and gave him food an' water.. He's one of the coolest cats I ever owned.. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  18. buckets work. you don't have to reset it evertime you catch a varmit, first year that I used them (I have six) I caught 19 mice in one bucket. now I only get 1 every couple weeks. I use Peanut butter or cheese whiz on the cans

19. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

This guy hates mices to pieces !!!!!!!!!!
    SOME GUYS IN MY MODEL T CLUB USE IVORY SOAP

Attached Files:

20. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

[​IMG]

No mice, moths, spiders, toads, crickets, in fact anything that gets within a couple feet of the floor is dead meat.

They seem to like me..

[​IMG]

21. Deuces

Deuces

I'm an old school "Tom n' Jerry" fan myself... :D

22. Master of None

Master of None

Bounce dryer sheets....and it does work use them every winter.

23. Deuces

Deuces

Don't ya just love them Kodak moments???... :)

24. 94hoghead

94hoghead

If a cat was big enough, it would eat its owner.......I'm just sayin'

25. belair

belair

I love cats-but you're right^^^^

26. I put dryer sheets in every hole of my snow blower and every fall I have to dismantle it and clean out the mouse nests.I guess mice in my area like the smell!

27. howco

howco

mice and rats will only be around "IF" there is food.
    Soooo, what is available to them on your property.
    Do you have a dog?
    Dog poop contains about 40% undigested food, rats will eat it like a main meal. Pick up the poop. Outside dog or cat feeding dishes, move them inside.
    I always provide 'fresh' d-con boxes, works, no mice.......

28. Deuces

Deuces

They're so cute when they're small.... :) Here he is curled up snoozin' in the RC Willys body....

Attached Files:

29. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I use cats, and i use "Top Gun" mouse and rat poisan. Its expensive about a 100 dollars for a two gallon bucket. but it has no secondary kill rate, which means it wont kill cats or dogs if they eat a poisand rodent. The stuff works good, real good. I fucking hate rats and mice. I have lots of animals so i theres lots of food around, so i can justify the price. Farmtek has it.

30. I just had to put my cat Cleo down this week the greatest ratter I have had . She was 17 years old and small but could bring in rats almost as big as her. I'm going to miss her and her little "presents". Rob.