Register now to get rid of these ads!

everytime I read a new rodders journal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stu, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I want to clean out my savings and retirement and buy a really nice finished car.the black 34 roadster does it for me this time around

2. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

well stu , go for it .
    keep us posted.

3. Only reason not to would be if your live-in banker is really mean...I've thought the same thing a couple times.

Charlie
    Really? Charlie, I'd want to buy YOUR 40 chevy ragtop if I had $$$$
    Rocky

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2010
  4. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the same thoughts and dreams. Wait, what are retirement and savings accounts? Is that when you put new tires on? Re tire ment? And saving, isn't that what we call it every time we drag new "projects" home? Well I guess if I had the money I'd buy a finished one as well.

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

hmm if i cleaned out my savings account ... i could buy a skateboard with a weedwhacker engine powering it lol

6. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hear ya completely. I sometimes wonder - for all of us that have (or HAD!) retirement funds that got whacked over the last few years, wouldn't it have been much more fun to have that coin invested in something we could actually have fun with?

Then too, I've had several buddies that passed on way too early. Ya gotta wonder, is it really smart to save up for something (retirement?) that may never happen? Like they say, "life is uncertain. Eat dessert FIRST!"

Sorry to get all philosophical on ya... we now return you to the regularly scheduled thread.

7. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

I say live your life now, instead of saving for another day we may never see. Dreams and aspirations are what give us our drive, and by the time we reach our goals, we cant fulfill them, ie. health, age, financial probs. Anyway you will always have the rod to sell. Good-luck whatever you decide!!!!!!

8. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Nothing wrong with that. Enjoy life and smell the coffee. I have seen too many people that I know who are going to, but in the end they don't. Get a great driver. Enjoy life and come visit. Afraid to tell ya how long the T has been sitting--Has it really been 35years? Now I feel bad, and old. Thanks Stu

9. Don't they say the world is supposed to end in 2012? Go for it.:D

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Elitist rich guy!!! My saving account just bought a bag of ice at Mcdonalds...

11. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Like getting rid of one wife and getting another.
    Soon you would tire of her, too!

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My rod has lasted for 81 years, so far. My wife lasted for 3.

13. Cars can actually be a decent investment, especially buying a finished Rod that someone else has already taken the hit on. Another option you might consider is buying a near complete project, much cheaper, and still allows you to put your stamp on it.

14. MarkS.

MarkS.
    from Maryland

I love the purple 33 roadster at the bottom of page 10. My red hemi would look good in that. Maybe one day....

15. Beebeebobby

Beebeebobby
    from Webb City

Last week a 55 year old high school friend choked to death...he went too soon....What you waiting for...There are no guarantees....I was in a wreck at 17 that killed 19 ppl....Live it to the fullest...just my two cents.

16. Idaho/Dave

Idaho/Dave
    from Idaho

I have to agree the black 34 Roadster, is to me as good as it gets !!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  17. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Not long after I retired, I took a few bucks from my IRA and bought a running, dependable but not fancy, incomplete hot rod '39 Chev truck. Since then I have added my own touch, using sales on ebay to pay for almost everything. I suspect the truck is worth about what I paid for it, but the pleasure of meeting up with other rodders, attending all kinds of events, the pure pleasure of cruising can't be measured in dollars. It's the best investment I ever made, bar none!

With today's economy and an uncertain future, it's not wise to spend too much of your retirement savings. But, keep it within reason and I would not hesitate to recommend it. You can have as much fun in a $25K car as a $75K car, take it from me.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Just think of all the wall street bankers who stole those same funds. You can bet they bought fancy cars, hot rods and vacation condos in exotic locations and all sorts of other stuff and you guys paid for it all.

Then they got bailed out :eek: And not from jail either.

19. Yea nice cars I like the coupe of the 2 model 40s myself. It could use a little paint to suit me better but it s a nice build.

The down side is that even if I cleaned out all my bank accounts, sold off all my assets and borrowed as much as I could possibly borrow I would still come up short.

Good thing I enjoy wrenching I guess.

20. this what it says on my enclosed trailer door

The Bucket List
    buy many cars
    go to many car shows

"we aint dead yet"
    in the infamous
    words of
    Paul revere of the raiders

so why save we is all gonna die:(
    bought 5 cars in the last 3 years
    and selling off my shop equipment and inventory and looking for a good show car, why not ispent the last 40 years of my life tying up all my profits in my shop on tools equipment and inventory, yess i am gonna lose my butt but so will i on the cars too, buts its gonna make me happy
    and moma dont care:Dshe gets to drive ocassionally