Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My 32 truck build pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ukgav, Oct 28, 2010.

1. ukgav

ukgav

A few people have been in touch asking for some build pics of my deuce truck so I thought I would throw a few up.
    First off all credit for the initial build has to go to Steve and the crew at Limeworks. They put the truck together as an out of hours shop project with parts they had laying around. I have merely improved and refined the pick up since buying and importing it to the UK two years ago.
    Funny thing is I knew Steve was an ex pat from here in Birmingham but we both found out that he used to live not far from where I do now and that we both went to the same school! All be it a fair few years apart! I wont say how many Steve!
    Oh if I get any details wrong feel free to jump in mate.

This is what Steve found out in the woods of Yosemite. A 32 cab in good condition that had been sat on a 2 tonne frame and used as a logging truck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The underpinnings consist of a boxed 32 frame with 33 centre section, drilled 40 Ford front axle with the spring mounted behind and perches through the split bones, 33 flathead and 3 speed trans and torque tube going back to a 32 rear banjo, 40 Ford brakes, 40 Merc steering box connected to a Limeworks column and 40 steering wheel, lever arm front shocks and 40 Ford steels.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cab got what I believe is a 4 inch chop and a shortened 36 pick up bed was fitted that had been sat in a mate of Steve's garden since the 60's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was at this point about 2 and a half years ago that Steve first advertised the truck for sale. I really liked the look of it at that time but felt it wasn't quite finished enough for me so thought nothing of it. A few months later and it re-appeared for sale but now wearing a splendid $400 Earl Schieb paint job. I knew I had to have it so did the deal with Steve then had to wait for it to arrive. This is how it looked when it finally reached these shores 2 years ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately the thrust washer let go on second gear only a couple of weeks into owning it. Obviously this meant the motor and trans had to be pulled. Just one of those things but it gave me a chance to give it a good once over, iron out a few issues and to give it a bit of detailing. Everything came off except the cab and the bed, I replaced a few things, painted a few others and ended up with this. The gold is a colour I had wanted to use as an accent for a long time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Earlier this year it was used in the Audi R8 advert where it sustained some damage. (precision drivers, yeah right) They bent the wishbone on the passenger side aswell as snapping the spring perch and a few other knocks and scratches which gave me the opportunity to give it another minor makeover which saw some 35 wires going on, tube shocks on the front and the deletion of the gold accents.
    [​IMG]

I have basically driven the shit out of it since I got it, driven to shows all over the country and even drag raced it a bit. Ok it's not quick but it's fun.

The latest improvement has been the fitting of a set of Don Orosco repro Eddie Meyer heads with matching inlet. I wouldn't have cared if they made the truck slower as they look so cool but I went from running 20 something quarters to a best so far of 18.064 seconds!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So that's it really, nothing special but a bitchin little hot rod hauler that I love. Cheers Steve.

winr likes this.
  2. I dig it too! Man I have been through Yosemite a dozen times...that one should be mine! Have fun with it!

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Man, it looks so much nicer now! Gary

4. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

this truck rules!..it looks much better w/ the wires..thats awesome that you shaved off almost 2 sec. in the quarter w/ those new heads..great job!..

5. Hogdriver

Hogdriver
    from VA

love the color combo and the wheel and tire package. NICE

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I like it with the wires Gavin :)

7. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

8. spot on guys! Neat little truck!

9. Wow! Perfect!

10. Great little truck Gav

11. 117harv

117harv

Very nice look, perfect stance and i agree on wire wheel change....drive it!

12. I may have missed it, but what is in the window washer jar?

*edit* overflow I got it.

13. hershambob

hershambob

gav did audi pay for the damage

14. mj40's

mj40's

Love your truck. Funny how the overflow went from a limey steve green to something of a mossy brown yuk. :D

15. where in the woods in oregon ? ;)

16. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

As stated above, love the wires on your hot rod... Great lookin' ride....

17. 067chevy

067chevy

18. Killer

Killer

19. Mart

Mart

Hi Gav.
    Nice to get the potted history.
    It just keeps getting better!
    Mart.

20. Flat Power

Flat Power
    from New Jersey

Bitchin pick up reminds me a little of the one im working on now

21. ukgav

ukgav

Yes mate. Well actually not Audi but the production company who made the advert. I understood that it was always a possibility given how they were driving the cars, still a bummer when it happened though. Turned out good in the end.

Thanks for the comments guys. I have loved this truck since I first saw it for sale. Stance and proportion are everything when it comes to rods for me and Steve nailed it. I have simply put my stamp on it. It is everything I ever wanted in a traditional hot rod, all early Ford, rough round the edges but a heap of fun. In a perfect world it would have a 3 or 5 window body sat on the frame ;) but I am more than happy with what I have. :)

22. cracker head

cracker head

Cool truck. I think I have to have one now.

23. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

Very cool 32 pu ,thanks for the pics.

24. Very Sweet ride, and like mine, its gets the shit driven out of it! Kool!

25. Deu55

Deu55

Great looking truck...Rod.

26. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Really bitchin little truck.. I kept my '34 for 30 some years waiting for the right time to build it. In the meantime I doubled in size and could no longer fit in it. So, I reluctantly sold it and still want one. So I'll just live vicariously through you more petite rodders.:rolleyes::)

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

yeah, it's ok... if you're into '32 trucks...

and Frank, after losing 25lbs I consider myself a petite rodder

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. thanks for posting this!

what are your tires sizes?

what is your clearence from the frame to the ground? (front-back)

29. billys54

billys54

Looks great thanks for sharing this