Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. hddennis

hddennis
    from Georgia

Just stumbled across this in a newspaper archive and wondered if any better pictures could be found of this car. Apparently Ray McNamara did a lot of driving for Maxwell. This car was built by Maxwell and if enough information could be found I'd like to replicate it with my chassis. Sorry for the poor quality but it's all I've found.

Howard Dennis

Attached Files:

2. Vintageride

Vintageride

Look here, a quick look using his full name in quotes resulted in lots of stories and articles;

www.fultonhistory.com

Vintageride

3. hddennis

hddennis
    from Georgia

Vintageride, thanks. What is this site? It claims 5,000 hits but succeeded in locking up my brand new computer! Did you actually find anything pertaining to the Maxwell?

Howard Dennis

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

PROOF that a Maxwell rear axle is good for 294 miles.:eek:

5. hddennis

hddennis
    from Georgia

Hey Bob, you know how the "factory support" worked, they could have replaced it 3 Times!!

6. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Nina Lo Bue............

[​IMG]

7. Vintageride

Vintageride

Yes. It the site returned over 200 with Ray McNamara in quotes. Make sure you allow it to load fully.

It is slow, very slow. Not surprising with 13,501,000 newspapers in the d-base.

Here are just a few.

Vintageride

Attached Files:

8. hddennis

hddennis
    from Georgia

Thanks for the help, I'll try again as it sure seems worth it.

Howard Dennis

9. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Can anyone tell us more about this car in what appears to be a European setting ?? Could this be a speed trial in France ??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Nice? The pix reminds me a lot of the boulevard by the worthless gravel beach in Nice - except, of course, the topless babes sunbathing! I holed up in Nice for four days during the 1970 F-1 race in Monaco. Commted daily to the race on the train. What a time. Gary

11. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  12. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

13. SteveLines

SteveLines
    from England

Looks like an Austro Daimler racer to me - maybe driven by Hans Stuck?

14. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

Good spot, Steve - I believe you're right there. That would date the picture to between 1927 and 1930 (or perhaps early 1931, I'm not sure when A-D announced their withdrawal from racing). Looking at the quality of the light and the shadows (plus the clothing), it's obviously a late afternoon winter scene, taken probably between December and February.

Probably some sort of promotion to push the idea of a Grand Prix in Nice: the first race there was in 1932, but that was a rather small affair and it didn't really take off until 1933. No doubt this occasion is reported somewhere in l'Éclaireur de Nice: although the paper's available online, it's not searchable -

http://www.basesdocumentaires-cg06.fr/archives/indexPA.php

15. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Attached Files:

16. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

T6......Rare photo of a very early Stutz.....Thanks

17. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

18. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

I asked some friends about these. We kicked them around for a while and then pinned them down! I did say I was only 90% sure it was Nice - and it isn't! After some suggestions it might be St Raphael, we worked out that it's actually Cannes and the pictures were almost certainly taken from what was then the Carlton Hotel - now the Intercontinental. Once the car had been identified definitely (by Martin Pfundner, who should know!) as Stuck's Austro-Daimler in its early 1930 configuration, that pointed to March 30th 1930, when he used the car to win two events at Cannes on the same day - a hillclimb in the morning and a sprint on La Croisette in the afternoon. These pictures therefore look to be from the sprint, although there's one minor niggle in that the report in l'Éclaireur de Nice suggests that the 500m course may have started at Rue des Belges and finished at the Carlton rather than the other way round.

edit: Again thanks to Martin Pfundner, a report in the Austrian AAZ says that the sprint was run "zweimal 500m" - this must therefore be one of two competitive runs, probably the second, as we can see several cars lined up by the sea wall in the smaller picture.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  19. Sizaire1

Sizaire1

Pardon the interuption on this great thread, but I have been istructed to post a few shots of a current project. Car started life as very special Dreyer built chassis with a Hisso. Ended life with a Hal DOHC on a B block. Currently finishing up the Hal, and will start on the Hisso. One of the most documented cars around, by pictures and by first person account from the original car owner's son who is now 94 years old. Lots more pics if anyone cares, but did not want to be redundant as the details as the car is currently being discussed on other threads. More motor shots in my album. Questions? Thanks.

Attached Files:

20. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

21. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  22. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

23. Attached Files:

24. [​IMG]

I believe this is Doc Bowles car at Jungle Park, Indiana.

HG :cool:

25. Here is the car I photographed in 2008 at the Winchester Old Timers. Sweet ride....

[​IMG]

26. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

27. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

The National racing teams mascot, Sidney.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  28. For those of us motorcycle guys....that's an interesting trike on the far right side. Looks very well done. The tires look fatter than the ones on the cars....

29. onelung

onelung
    from Adelaide

I'd guess it's a De Dion motor trike... this is a very early photo (where?) - was the banking there for pedal-powered pushbikes, then?

30. Sizaire1

Sizaire1

Yep, thats it. Now we have the correct engine first motor for the car to replace the Hal that is in your picture...