Register now to get rid of these ads!

>>> Your First Car <<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mlanden, Oct 21, 2010.

1. mlanden

mlanden

This may (or may not be) fun...Show a pic, and give a brief description of your first ride.

1965 Pontiac Lemans - Got this one @ 15 years old for $280.00 - stripped it of all the shiny, wet sanded, and sent to Earl for the yellow coat. It actually didn't look too bad at that time...Interior in the car was black vinyl just like new. Slight engine mods, with a rumpitty cam that was honestly useless other than it sounded cool. Stock duals with dumps. 4.11 gear...Although my car had seen many hours cruising Telegraph Road in Michigan, it was pretty much all show & 326 cubes of NOGO......Fun times though.........

Pic circa 1975
    [​IMG]

Feel free to participate if you like. Just thought it would make for a fun and interesting thread. A little take me back so to speak.

Mark

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. Don't have any pics avaiable, but mine was a 1952 Plymouth Cranbrook 4-dr sedan with the 218 ci flathead Six and three-speed column shift. Paid ten bucks for it and drove it home! I was twelve at the time. Had that for a bit over a year or so.

3. drs47ford

drs47ford
    from Western NY

My dad bought me a 1965 Mustang Fastback when I was in my last year of high school. Car was 10 yrs old at the time. He bought it off the back lot of used car dealer for $100.....in the days before the lemon laws went into effect in New York state. That car was such a mess but it was still cool and it was mine. :D Wish I had some photos but I don't.

4. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

5. Gatta hit the search button first!

6. 67 chevelle.

No pics, just fond memories

7. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

55 Chevy Belair, no pic's they didn't have cameras back then. I beat it to death and blew two engines within a couple of months. If it wasn't for the cross member the last engine almost fell out of the car. Sold it to a guy I pumped Gas with at the 76 Gas station who turned it into a Gasser. Last I saw it, it was still in Lompoc Ca, painted yellow and primer. Before that it was it was a crappy stock metalic green that never shined. I wished I could buy it back for the $400 I sold it for.

8. 1962 Plymouth Valiant 2 door, black, no pictures 50 bucks.

9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First one in 1949!!!---Split manifold, twin pipes, lowered 2inches, Buick fender skirts, Appelton twin spots, shaved hood, & deck lid.-------Don:D:D

Attached Files:

10. sixbangr

sixbangr

1957 Rambler wagon.

11. mlanden

mlanden

12. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

My younger brother and I acquired our Grandpa's '29 Ford in the late 1940s. My brother is the custodian now. I drive it when I go visit him.
    We painted it two tone blue with a china-hair brush. It was summertime, we were too little to work in the field, it was our mom's idea to keep us busy I guess.
    We drove it hard and put it away wet, virtually wearing it out.
    It remained like that from the time I left the farm after HS until 1995 when it was restored. All of the finish body work and hand rubbed lacquer was redone by our eldest brother Bud(RIP).
    Mom with our 29 about 1950.jpg Yep its a 4banger.jpg

Yep, its grandpas.jpg new lacquer 95.jpg

13. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

No pics, it was a 1968 Rambler American , straight 6 and a 3 on the tree :)

14. adam401

adam401

^^^ Awesome story 29 Nash

15. thegrappler

thegrappler

73 AMC Hornet with a 360 automatic, Dana 4.10 or 4.11 rear end. no pics

16. lincolnkid

lincolnkid

Easy for me to find pics of my first car... I don't even have my license yet! 41 days. Yes, I'm counting. I know it isn't exactly HAMB material but I've been lurking since God knows when and figured this might be my only time to contribute something useful.

1979 Lincoln Continental Town Coupe. 42,000 miles. Unfortunately, the first year you couldn't get the 460. My broke and unlearned ass has been trying to do what it can to get it running better... so here it is! (Hopefully not stock for too much longer. Getting a job this summer.)

[​IMG]

17. TheWrenchbender

TheWrenchbender
    from Belton SC

No pics here either, but my first car was a 49 Ford 4 door my dad drug home because it had a blown head gasket. I kept after him to sell it to me but I was about 12 at the time. One day he gave me a glimmer of hope that I might own this old gal after all. He said if you can get it running you can have it. So while he was out on a service call I decided it was a good time to start the old gal. Not knowing ant thing about tourqing head fasteners or anything else much either. I pulled the air hose out to the car took and buzzed the head off with an airwrench scraped all the old gunk off the block and head. Then set the new gasket in place rassel'd the head back in place (I was 12 remember) then proceeded to tighten the head down with yep you guessed it the airwrench. Just as I finished this step, Dad came home and told me how I ruined my head probally cracked it he said! But told me to go ahead and finish it up anyway so I did. We charged the battery and it started up. Had I known better it never would have ran, but I drove the old gal around here for a couple of years every chance I got. It had a flathead V8 3 on the tree no glass except the windshield and almost no brakes but I thought is was the baddest ride around!

18. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

1966 Pontiac Bonneville 2 door hard top, 389, 4v, auto, 373 posi. Bought it for 100 bucks and a Japanese stratocaster. Love that car, have had it now for 18 years. Plan on tearin her down and freshin her up this winter, probably turn into a 10k, 3 year project.

19. The 41Dude

The 41Dude

My first was a 55 chevy 2 door post that I bought for $350.00. I paid the owner $50.00 down and $50.00 dollars a month for 6 months. It had a 265 two barrel with a two speed powerglide. I was 16 years old (1966) one year later it had a 283 with a three speed on the floor and a fenton 500 shifter on the floor, dual glass packs with crome scavenger pipes. I tore up the roads with it for 5 years with several more motors. I let my brother in law drive it when I got drafted and sent to Viet nam. He blew up the motor when I was gone and hauled it to the salvage. Never saw it again....I still miss that car!!!

20. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

No pics. 1976 Ford Gran Torino 4dr. 351 Windsor. Belonged to a little old lady that had died and had ridiculously low mileage. Bought it for $1,050, drove it HARD for 5 years and sold it for $1,000.

21. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

lincolnkid - today you could park most kid's first car on the hood of that car with room to spare.

My first ride was a '69 chevy pickup owned by my parents - 350 4-bolt main with T400 and 4.11 rear (I think) . . . it is parked up by the shop now with rusted rockers and beat bed and cab as my folks gave it to me about a year ago. Not sure what I am going to do with it, kinda new for my tastes now. First car that I owned was a 81 datsun 310GX - I drove it long enough to buy an old pickup and fix it up to drive. By the time I was 21 I had wrecked and sold the datsun and was driving this around . . .

[​IMG]

I subbed in a '79 firebird clip and could get into the mid 13's in the quarter mile at Seattle International Raceway back in the day. A guy named dick ewing worked with me to build the motor and I used a T475 I had gotten for the tranny and 3.42 posi rearend out of a another firebird. It was sold in '87 by my dad while I was fishing in Alaska, he drove it once and thought it was too dangerous - only ever saw it once after that and couldn't catch it to see who bought it.

22. bob308

bob308

my first car was a 61 2dr biscayne. in school it had a 261 six 2 carbs on an eldebrock with fenten headers. three speed with a hurst shifter. a 4sp muncie got swaped in. then when i got out of school a 327- 340hp got swaped in along with a olds rear. then i tried a 409 single 4 barrel. then one day i came home and found out my father junked it.

23. lincolnkid

lincolnkid

True that. Had the car not been free (grandpa's, he died, sat since 1993) I might not have been able to afford the gas!

While not a big city, Chapel Hill has tiny parking spaces. So not only is it harder to manage (although when I drive smaller cars I'm a parking wizard... had to learn fast), I also get one finger salutes from Priuses all the time... very hostile to real cars here.

24. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

My first car was a '59 Ford Fairlane 500 Galaxie. Bought it with money I had saved up while working thru high school. Got it 3 days after graduation in June 1965. The car lot wanted $795 for it but I got them down to $595 because I had cash. The engine was a 292 2-barrel and had a 3 speed on the column.

That summer I added a 4-barrel carb and dual exhaust off a wrecked '57 Ford. Then came Traction Master bars and exhaust cut-outs. You guys remember cut-outs don't you? I had the type that used plumbing pipe caps. I kept the car 6 months and traded it in on a '63 Galaxie 406. That 406 was quite a car for an 18 year old kid.

[​IMG]

25. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I was 10. I'm 56 now. My Dad bought me a stripped down Model T chassis. And a new challenger top box tool box, and said have at it. I said, I'll never get this running. He replied, thats ok, just take it apart, it will get you accustomed to the wrenches and bolt and nut sizes. I never did get it running, but I sure did learn a lot. Lippy

26. My dad brought it home on my uncles wrecker a 55 olds 88. all stock. Broke lower A arm. we used a 6x2 log on the 324 with a sweet set of smittys and and a muntz 8 track under the dash. used WWW from my uncles wrecking yard. 1968. went away for an old 48 ford ragtop nobody wanted.

27. BCR

BCR

Don, that was a real beauty! The fender skirts are too cool.

What did it say on the tag surround?

28. 1933 chevy 3w hot rod . my dad and uncle built it my dad drove it to high school and raced it at the local drags. i drove it to high school and many shows. still have it!

29. My first car was a 1984 Honda Civic Hatch back, but my first classic is the '54 Ford Customline that I have now. The ford is also my favorite and I am quite sure that it will be with me forever.

30. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

My first car was a 1964 1/2 Mustang, 260 3 speed. I put in a 289 four speed and wreck it about two mouth later. Next one was a 1935 Ford pickup 48 Olds V8 3 speed with an olds rear. My dad built the truck and gave it to me. Wish I still had it.