Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Nash Rambler Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D_Lazaris, Oct 11, 2010.

1. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Well I thought I should start my own build thread and bring you guys along with me.

Here is my 1951 Nash Rambler I got earlier this year. I instantly fell in love with her! She was pretty much had everything when I got her, although the guy who owned it before me crushed the gas tank with a fork lift, so that will be on my list of things to do. There is only a little rust under the fenders, but the floor boards are pretty rough.

Here she is when I first got her.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Still has the 176cubic inch straight 6 and it will be staying
    [​IMG]

3. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

First thing I did was pull the engine out
    [​IMG]

Took us awhile to get it out...
    [​IMG]

But we finally were able to get it out!
    [​IMG]

4. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

While the engine was in the shop we pulled the front fenders off, and pulled out the interior to asses what will need to be done.
    [​IMG]

5. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Got the engine back and bored it out to 197cubic inches, was able to get an aluminum Edmunds head/intake (they are one in the same on the Nash's)
    [​IMG]

Here is the Edmunds head
    [​IMG]

Slowly coming together...
    [​IMG]

I wanted to get a little more power in it so I decided to put a McCulluch Supercharger on it. Started measuring and its going to be a tight fit!
    [​IMG]

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I think this will be interesting.I am going to watch this one..

7. this is going to be very interesting, as a side note nash put the engines in from the bottom which is why it can be a pain from the top

8. farmer12

farmer12

Going to be a thread to watch, great project!

9. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Piston Farmer, that makes all the sense now, we had a heck of a time getting it out. Now getting it back in will be MUCH easier!!

10. I dont know about easier unless you have a lift but it does make sense on why its a bitch from the top. Just remove the K member thats under the motor and it will slide up and in

11. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Upadate: I couldn't stand the color of the block so i decided to strip it back down and repaint. While I was at it I spent about an hour grinding down the castings to get it smooth.

I decided to go with a cream/sand color that I fell in love with when I sprayed the first coat.
    [​IMG]

I also polished the head a little giving it some shine. I think the darker red and cream combination really works!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So hopefully this week I will be able to get the bracket made for the supercharger!

12. Squablow

Squablow

I like that you're using the original engine with period speed parts. What trans are you planning to use?

13. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Im using the original trans, Its a 3 speed with an overdrive. I opened it up and its in great shape no missing teeth or anything. So im just going to put new seals in it and clean it up.

14. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Very cool! Thinking outside the box for sure.

15. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

cool lil screamer

16. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Thanks! It is definitely interesting figuring out how this is going to all work in the end!

17. biscaynes

biscaynes

luven this, supercharger too! :cool:

18. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

I like different and the supercharger is bad ass. I will definitely be watching your build.

19. Zerk

Zerk

Subscribed. This will be a cool process, Nash was unconventional in their engineering as well as styling, and I want to see how you handle all the unusual details.

I guess a unibody like this depends on the floor (and every other panel) as a stressed member. The old flathead ought to hold up well to the McCulloch blower, big fun!

This is the model that was dusted off and remade as the American from '58-'60, unless I'm mistaken.

20. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Nash was very unconventional especially with the intake in the head, and the three exhaust port for the 6... its going to be challenging but very fun! And thats what I'm here for!

21. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Update!!~~

Well this weekend I ended up getting the intake system done. This was my first time doing it and I am pretty happy with it...In the future when I have more money or i am better with fabricating and have the right tools I will probably redo them.

Right now I have two Holleys, but I am planning on running two 97's on it. The scoops on top or just for show right now, hopefully next week I can get the supercharger mounted and then run the tubing.

They sure came out higher than expected to hopefully hood clearance wont be an issue. Im not to worried though!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

pretty cool build i dig the way the engine looks

23. nali

nali

Because of where the chain was bolted while removing engine , I d be afraid to break a bolt in the block , or bend it :(

Nice car .

24. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Wow that thing looks solid. Up here in the northeast they had a body / frame life of about 5 years, then they crumbled into little red brown pieces especially where the front sprigs mounted. Pretty neat car. I wonder if it might be over carbed with the 2x2 bbls.

Guess you will find out down the road. Interesting build.

25. mtpockits

mtpockits

sorry not for sale but im doing the same to mine in my 1949. header hard to find for sure.
    [​IMG]

26. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Mtpockits, love the headers, deffinetly hard to find... That's why I'm going to make mine from scratch! Unless I'm stumbling through a swap meet and run into some..and their in my price limit!

27. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Plym46, I'm also concerned about it being over carbed so when I start fine tuning I'm going to jet it down tremendously then work my way up.

28. I'm thinking this is going to be bad ass when done!

29. freebird101

freebird101

that is sick, keep it up

30. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Just saying as I run two carter B1B's on a 230 Plymouth engine, with bumped compression and stock cam, and they are plenty. Several guys run the carter webbers originally on 1.6 pintos but they are progressive so their primaries are pretty small to start with.