Register now to get rid of these ads!

Headaches with guages:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Irish Dan, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

After two years of hassling with my ultra-expensive Stewart Warner Wings gauges, I've decided to pull them out and replace them with something that actually works. I've seen a 5 guage unit made by Classic Gauges that has a small tach integrated in the speedo. The set is electric, not mechanical. I've got an electric hook-up on my 5 speed, and need an electric speedo set. None of these sets are cheap; I'm just REALLY disappointed with the Wings! BTW, when the needle flew off the speedo this weekend, that was the proverbial last straw!

2. I bought the same SW gauges before joining the HAMB. I'm disappointed with mine.
    I had to replace the new volt gauge twice to get a good one. Quality control????
    The speedo hasn't worked AT ALL. The only thing I haven't checked for the speedo is if the pickup at the transmission is working or not.
    What stopped me from buying Classis Gauges was the price tag

3. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

Sorry for the shameless plug, but our 1940 series is a good alternative and Alliance memeber get 10% off

Mark

[​IMG]

4. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

My sw speedometer needle started going to zero all the time, I was hoping for something simple but after hearing your stories, I'm now worried. I tightened the connector on the trans sender and the speedometer worked for a couple of months but now its going to zero again, hit a bump and its working again.

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would definitely keep it from working.

6. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

This is the set I bought, and they look great.
    The only difference is that I bought the electronic version of the speedo.
    The car is not on the road yet but have hooked up the oil press and water temp already for the crate motor start up and they seem to be working great so far.
    Thanks for a nice product.

7. I've got Wings gauges in my roadster ( mechanical ) and am very happy with them. 6 gauge set, no problems.

Attached Files:

8. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Man, my SW Wings Speedo just took a dump and reads zero - my second one. Bought the 6 gauge electric set for almost $400 and they're horrible. On my second tach and it just quit working. I have less than 400 miles on them and less than two years. Oil pressure needle is now sticking and then jumping. They truly SUCK!

But they look GREAT! :(

9. MORRISGAUGE

MORRISGAUGE

The new Stewart Warners are nothing like the originals. Maxima has owned them for some years and they are now the same as any other "made in China" set that you will find.

10. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

I've had good luck(two sets in different 32s) with Autometers stuff. Great customer service, based here in Illinois.

11. 26 roadster

26 roadster

had probs with vdo, dolphin and sw, none with autometer,yet
    you pays your money, you takes your chance

12. Gator

Gator

Got a set of Classic gauges in my '33 Plymouth, best I can figure it was built around 91 - they're still working fine.

I did have an issue with an erratic speedo a while back, asked one of the Classic reps at a Goodguys show about it. Even though the gauges are twenty years old they helped me out like I'd just bought them - turns out I had a ground issue.