Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '27 Ford build thread...Plan T!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ClutchDumpinDan, Mar 9, 2010.

1. EDIT: Skip to the end for the most recent pics.

I got this T coupe body a few years ago and it's been quietly waiting it's turn while all the other junk got worked on. I've had it built and re-built in my mind several times over the last year or two. Plan A turned into plan B and so on as I came across new bits and pieces to use on it. Then once I got to mocking up, measuring, figuring, etc. plan B quickly changed to plan C...then D...I figure as many times as I've changed it up I must be up to Plan T!

But I've got it like I want it and now all I have to do is put it all together :D

Here's the body as I got it with it's incomplete and less than perfect chop top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While waiting for the first batch of parts to show up I did some roughing in on the bodywork.

[​IMG]

I threw together a few pieces so I could get some meausrements for a frame. (Warning! Aluminum wheels used for mockup! Please shield small childrens eyes before viewing)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave Havlir (at the House of Fab) and I have been talking for awhile about doing a T Coupe frame to go along with the Model A style frames he builds. We traded a few measurments back and forth and this is what we came up with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front crossmember and frame horns are House of Fab made. Absolutely top notch stuff. If you need a frame, give him a call! Thanks again Dave!

Body getting test fit for the first time...

[​IMG]

A little trimming and on it goes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With a 3" channel it fits like a glove...

[​IMG]

Can't get much lower than that...

[​IMG]

The missing pieces to make the front end roll after a trip to the blaster...

[​IMG]

I'll be running the rear that I removed from my '48 Ford F-1. It has the factory 3.92 gears in it still so I plan on running a T-5 trans. so I don't leave the bottom end of my 322ci Nailhead scatterd across the interstate! The rear suspension will be a triangulated 4 link with coilovers.

[​IMG]

Here it is with a few of the parts laying in place. Obviously the motor is gonna get mounted level, the frontend will be around 3"-4" lower, and the grill shell will be sectioned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's where I'm at as of now. Waiting on my rear 4 link parts, steering stuff and some other misc. so I can start to mount my radiator, motor & trans. and steering box. Oh yeah, have the bellhousing setup but need to find a trans. and flywheel too!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  2. Eh, I don't like it so much. Abandon the project now, I'll take it off yer hands!

3. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

Looks awesome so far. I'm looking foward to watching your progress.

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

5. -JoeSmith-

-JoeSmith-

Looking good Dan!

I was hoping for Flat-T.

But that Nailhead is probably going to motivate you down the road a bit quicker. I know where you can get some parts to put that 8ba back in service if you change your mind.

6. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Thats a great start. Its just what you need. Bonnie says its very cool.It will be a very wicked ride when you are done.

Todd

7. Cool project. Gotta love those T's!!

8. Sweet Dan!
    Now if you're riding this one again before I am riding mine, I might as well just sell it...
    :D

9. Suprise suprise, it's update time :eek:

Got my 4 link in...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once that was done I got the frontend under it, body on the frame, and motor and trans. mocked up....

[​IMG]

Fits like a glove...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to take a little out of the gril shell to get it to fit the rad...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm using a set of those rubber biscuits to mount the engine. First up was to make the mount from the engine to the biscuit. Made a paper version and transfered it to some 3/16" plate...

[​IMG]

Cut it out...

[​IMG]

After a little welding and grinding...and a few speed holes of course...

[​IMG]

And bolted into place...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to make the biscuit to frame piece. A piece of 3" tubing with the rough idea drawn on it....

[​IMG]

Idea cleaned up a little bit....

[​IMG]

After an encounter with a drill bit and the final radius marked out...

[​IMG]

That's as far as I've gotten for now. Although I did find time to drop a spare intake on top the other day :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Yup, running coilovers in the back. Got some 1"x1" square tube bolted in for mock up though. Wheelbase is 108 1/2"

This what you're looking for? ---> http://www.carnut.com/specs/fengdim.html

11. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Looking good! That thing should be fun to drive.

12. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Dammmn that looks really good. Its coming along great.

13. Looks good, Dan!
    Need to come up there again to look at it in person!
    Keep the updates coming.

14. floored

floored

What setup are you using to run a t-5 behind the 322?

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Looking real nice.....I love T coupes and should not have sold mine!!!!

16. Yup, plan to go to the Jalopyrama...not sure I can make it up with you early birds though ;):D

17. I've got an Offy adapter that takes the Nailhead to a '39 and up Ford trans. then I've got a Speedway adapter (Offy makes the same thing for a few bucks more) that takes the '39 and up Ford pattern to a T-5.

Finding the flywheel was the hardest part so far. Managed to locate a NOS Schiefer aluminum flywheel, still in the original box with water slide decal and all :eek: Still have to come up with a clutch disc and pressure plate. I'm gonna run a hydraulic throwout bearing and will probably have to make a custom pilot bushing. It'll be fun if I can make it all work :confused::)

18. That is nicer than nice! Great build on a T.

19. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Looks good Dan glad your making some headway.

20. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Great build, awesome car. Very cool, I am wanting to build a T coupe like this sometime here. Can't wait to more of it.

21. -JoeSmith-

-JoeSmith-

Looking great Dan. At this pace you will make Jalopyrama for sure.

22. Thanks everybody! Nice to have it rolling finally and not be tripping over all the parts laying everywhere! :D

Doug, I'll be lucky to have the '48 at the Jalopyrama at this rate :rolleyes:

23. Looks good, Dan. Keep it up. For some inspiration, here's a link to Jay's "High Life" T. He goes by Blackout on the HAMB. Good guy, nice car. Same as you. :cool:

24. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

cool project. I would like to see more.

25. Yearly update time! :eek: :)

Got the frame side of my motor mounts done finally.

[​IMG]

Motor back in after welding up the mounts. The trans. mount is up next....

[​IMG]

26. Got my trans. crossmember made. Yay! No more wood blocks holding it up :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looking cool Dan........................
    I'm not sure if we need another T around here :eek:.........just saying :)

28. Bilt

Bilt

Real nice looking T!!! I love the stance!!!

29. Pie cut my wishbones to set the caster.

[​IMG]

Added some fishplates for peace of mind.

[​IMG]

The fun part is next. Thoughts and opinions on the hole count? I started out with six but they looked to far apart. What say you?

[​IMG]

30. chaddilac

chaddilac

Wow! looking really cool!! keep the updates coming!!!! :D