Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why would you want to "show" a newer car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Last weekend I went to a Buick Olds Pontiac show. There was some pretty cool stuff. But, I saw they were turning away some cool stuff because they were full. Meanwhile there were over a dozen late model GTO's, most of them stock. Why would you want to "show" a car that you or anyone else could've bought around the corner, at any dealer 20 minutes ago? Why do people, sometimes 20 strong, funnel into a show with a new Camaro or Challenger, when you can see one on any given day on the streets? Hey, just asking. It's NOT what I want to see at a show.

2. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

People did it in the '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, and now. It's nothing new. And if it's not what you want to see, don't go!

I hate most late models too, but not everyone has the same taste as us.

3. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Don't get me started on the rows of stone stock Corvettes at some shows. If you've seen one 1994 'Vette...well........:rolleyes:

4. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

You mean common cars like '32 Fords, '65 Vetts and '57 Chevys...also as boring as you can get at a show.

5. logride

logride
    from CB IA

I don't like seeing them myself either, but as you know they don't make pontiacs anymore, and the late model gto hasn't been around for years now.

6. it seems a shame to me, when you go to car shows that cater for older/custom type stuff and there are a bunch of new cars there, just as they rolled off the showroom floor, particularly if they are turning away good older stuff. there are plenty of auto salon type events that these guys can show their car at. real car builders/ enthusiasts are missing out here because of these cars that are bought not built.

7. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

cuz anyone can have a show car this way!!! I laugh when I see all these new camaros at car shows. OK, so you have $40k to dump on a brand new car....who cares!

8. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

It's always been that way. They think that they will fit in with their cookie cutter car if they park it with the other cars just like theirs. Same goes for the bikers. When I owned some of my late model cars, I'd hang around the guys that had similar cars, but they were all atleast modified in different ways. Just be happy that you are into hot rods & customs...because there's usually never two cars that are identical at a hot rod show.

9. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

They aren't showing that they have $40+k to dump on a new car, they are showing off their banks $40+k new car.

10. big bad john

big bad john

everybody has a veiw point.....it does'nt matter as long one has fun......meeting people is whats it all about...:D

11. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Car shows are social events. Feeling antisocial? Stay the fuck 't home.

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Because most folks like to identify, belong, befriend and enjoy the company of like minded people. Remember the Miata and Viper trends?

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Goodguys let more stuff in for more $$$$. And the more 'routine' the cars are, the more idiots come with their 'routine' cars next year!
    It becomes a..."Hey, we can get into this! We just got a car like that!"

I asked a gold chainer about his calipers on his shiny new Magoo-type '29 Hiboy. "I don't have any idea, I bought it that way." And TexasHardcore hit it right: It was parked with all the other '29 Hiboys. (Billy Burnham moved his!)

14. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

The local show here last spring was sponsored by the local Buick dealer, so... well there were some new Buicks...and I checked them out and was pleasantly surprised. Other than that, nothing brand new...,but certainly a few boring types.

15. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

Do you think if i drove my 05 Magnum to the NSRA Nats next year i could pass it off as a 1981?Lots of new camaros and challangers at our cruise ins.Also saw a new CTSV Cad one night.I never drove new cars to the local cruise ins back in the early seventies.Course i couldnot afford a new car back then.

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I go to a Mopar show here in Fremont every year. Lots of Muscle Cars of course, but I go to see the early stuff. there is always a pretty good selection of 50's and 60's "non muscle" as well as a smattering of earlier stuff.

this year there was a good 30 or so late models parked with thier hoods up, many with tasteless modifications. how 'bout a new Chrysler 300 with Lambo doors?? ... there is even a club for them. next to them was the PT cruisers. I guess the Prowler club stayed home.

I don't get it either.

the only reason I would "show" a late model is to have a place for my cooler and so I don't have to walk so far at a big show like Goodguys.

17. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Guys are showing their new cars in my area at every show that comes around, I do live in a small town and the more cars that are being shown means the club that is sponsoring it has more money for things at the next show. I don't like them or even look at them but I quess in the end because they are there there are better prizes and give aways.

18. zzford

zzford

There is a monthly show not too far from me and I enjoy going to it. Because of a limited amount of space, they have set a pre 1972 (I believe that is the date) policy. Often times some really cool cars get turned away because there just isn't anymore room. What pisses me off, is when they let in the local Corvette club. This group might bring in 10 or 15 cars, most all of them late model stuff. I know not everyone has the same taste as I, but to see nice earlier cars get turned away because of these morons, just sucks. If folks wanted to see late Corvettes, visit the dealer and avoid the crowds.

19. Lild

Lild

Hey look at it this way, if youre in the market for a new car you dont have to deal with a pesky salesman. :D

20. Choptop

Choptop

well... you avatar has a corvette in it... anyone can buy one them as well.. and if you go to certain shows, a line of 20 of them will be there waiting to get it.

if you dont like shows with late models at them.. dont go to them.

personally I dig all car shows... doesnt matter if there are lots of late mdoel ferraris, mustangs, GTO's there... whatever. But I also apprieciate exclusive style shows... Lowriders only, Billetproof (traditional style hot rods and customs only), The Concourso Italiano, Concours d'LeMons... on and on...

its just a matter of taste.

the owners of the GTO's, Ferraris and such are just as proud of their cars as you are of yours, and they are having just as much fun at their shows as you do at yours.

21. It don't really bother me either way because I just walk right past em' but it does seem bizarre to see a line of new Mustangs and Camaros at a car show. Its gotta be a little bit embarassing (if thats the right word) to park your brand new car next to an old hot rod or muscle car that has been restored/rebuilt from the ground up. I guess they're having fun but I sure wouldn't do it.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  22. lowlife matt

lowlife matt

Stock sucks I agree, but some car show formats are for all kinds of cars. Not just your kind. Some people do like new cars (like the people who buy em)
    I personally don't look at what doesn't interest me. But I do like people supporting local car shows.

23. Simple answer, it's because thats what they like and you like what you like. It would be a real boring world if everybody liked the same stuff. As long as they paid their money and the shows promoter was good with it, it is what it is. Just walk past them and enjoy your day.

24. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I walked by 5 new Corvettes all with there hoods open, Showing there brand new engines. I stood back and yelled to my buddy, Look he painted the hood rod red. How trick is that a red hood rod

25. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

The Vettes are kept in a gaggle for a purpose, so you can get past them quicker.

I usually take a fast walk pass the line of hotrods with the hoods up showing thier 350/350s............. Same reason.

26. 63dan63

63dan63

I see 50+ new mustangs on my way to and from work every day. I go to shows to see something different / unique.

I don't understand why these people are so proud of their bank's vehicles ... Hey looky here. I passed a credit check last month.

Maybe that IS a big deal these days. HA!

27. brad chevy

brad chevy

All cars are cars but when the show is advertizied as a classic and antique show,there is no way that the 2010 Camero,Challengers,Chrysler 300s,or the new Corvettes should be there but these days its the dollar at the gate and dollar for the spot that counts,almost as bad as cars show ads coming out and when you get there nothing but motorcycles.best with the ease of the internet to check out the events ahead of time then decide if you want to go or not.

28. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Our weekly cruise-night manager makes all the "new" stuff park in the same row. Usually a dozen of each of the Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers.....and of course the Vettes have to have their own row. The rods and early muscle cars park everywhere else. It keeps all the like-minded guys/gals together. It works pretty well.

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

The answer is the guy at the gate has no balls or the host club has no year cutoff. I grew up in the '60's and car shows had year cutoffs. The late model guys ALWAYS bitched, what about ME and MY car, bitch, bitch, bitch,then they let them in and if they didn't go home with a throphy they BITCHED about that. Guys with OLD CARS stopped going to the events, now you have dealership display lots. Next question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.