Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 chevy wheel bearing questions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hobbyjp, Aug 26, 2010.

1. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

I think I might have a bad bearing up front. I havent been able to jack it up yet. My friend can get me a discount on the bearings if I have a good part number. she works at kragen and they only go back to 62. I thought 62 corvettes suspension were the same as 54 chevys but looking at part numbers. the inners are the same part number but the outer for the chevy is napa PGB PB01 and the corvette is PGB PB67. I intend on using original style bearings. Also is there a good way to check the rear bearings without removing the axle? Thanks everyone

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is the O'Reilly link to National numbers which anyone should be able to cross.
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...=Chevrolet&model=Bel+Air&year=1954&vi=1326495

Do you mean the inner bearing or the rear axle bearing?

On the rear axle you might jack the car up with both wheels off the ground and run it in gear (make sure it is damned solid before you do) and listen to the bearings with a mechanics Stethoscope.

3. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

Thanks Mr48. I was asking about the front bearings but wanted to know how to check the rear bearings. Well it looks like the 62 corvette does use a different outer bearing.

4. I always thought the front end parts were the same for Corvettes from 53-62 but it is possible the 62 is different.Seems to me the full size Chevrolet went from ball bearings to rollers in the 62 model year so they may have changed the Corvette as well in preparation for the 63 models.

5. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Ball bearing wise for the corvette 53-57, than 58-62. The 53-57 vette bearings same as 41-54 Chevy.

Also I noticed 58-62 vette same as 40-54 Pontiac, 38-59 Chevy 1/2 ton which I know a tapered conversion kit is availabe for.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010