Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Ummm. Alternatively, maybe it means that less folks who are into hot rods are dumb, ignorant Neanderthals than is popularly believed by the general public.

In the Fifties, it was TRADITIONAL for teenagers who were hot rodders to go on to college to become engineers. That's how and why we got to the Moon in 1969. We didn't get there by following directions on "how to build a rocket" that were not clearly articulated.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. Larry T

Larry T

You can go around a corner without scrubbing the tires with a Detroit Locker and it sure isn't limited slip. It locks up solid under acceleration.

As far as the inside wheel trying to turn backwards in a turn--??????????????
    Larry T

3. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

We call it a spool in my part of the world....

4. Larry T

Larry T

On a spool/live axle/locked rearend, if the inside tire was trying to turn backwards wouldn't the outside tire be doing the same thing since they are tied together? And, yea, I know they will scrub because they are not covering the same distance.
    Larry T

5. Huh? It sounds like that same dude has been calling you up, too.

6. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Well I got jumped on. First you collage boys with your store bought cars and your gold chains can kiss my ass. And I was talking about the old welded spider gears. Thats full posi not that click click Detroit bull. next the 3/4 cam was a street cam and a full race was to wild for the street. ok mr. moon shot tell us about the five cycle cam of the 60'
    And the tire trying to go backwards is from the axel being twisted then springingh back just before it snaps

7. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Same to you, buddy. :mad:

Back to mis-used descriptions, as has been repeatedly said on this very thread, "posi" is a trademarked brand name for a particular brand (Chevrolet and Buick) of a limited slip differential unit...nothing to do with welded spider gears. At best, that might be categorized as a very crude spool, as has also been said.

Alfa Romeo: Q2
    American Motors: Twin-Grip
    Buick: Positive Traction
    Chevrolet: Positive Traction
    Chevrolet/GMC trucks (after 1973): Gov-Lock
    Chrysler: Sure Grip
    Ferrari: E-Diff
    Fiat: Viscodrive
    Ford: Equa-Lock and Traction-Lok
    International: Trak-Lok or Powr-Lok
    Jeep: Trac-Lok (clutch-type mechanical), Tru-Lok (gear-type mechanical), and Vari-Lok (gerotor pump)
    Oldsmobile: Anti-Spin
    Pontiac: Safe-T-Track
    Porsche: PSD (electro-hydraulic mechanical)
    Saab: Saab XWD eLSD
    Studebaker-Packard Corporation: Twin Traction
    TVR: Hydratrak

By the way, I've never owned even ONE "store bought" hot rod and I don't own any gold chains. I'm just not an idiot. Most hot rodders are not, as this thread has demonstrated. I am however, a "collage" [sic] educated engineer, in the best of the hot rod tradition.

Also by the way, the five cycle cams were developed in the Fifties, not the Sixties. First used by the Italian Formula One teams, and then developed by Isky for the Emory Cook and Cliff Bedwell dragster, circa 1957. What else did you need to know about it? :rolleyes:

Yours truly,
    Mr. Moon Shot

8. I don't think he has anything against college educations. He didn't say that. If you read the post again, you will see that he was actually refering to those who made a collage in art class.

I have never made a collage in art class.

I have never owned anything I haven't built myself. I even do my own body and paint. What's a gold chain anyway? Why is knowing how to speak and spell a bad thing? Why is it bad to point out that I have great difficulty in deciphering many people's writing when they don't make the effort to be understandable?

Maybe it's a handicap some of us have, but I have trouble decoding a lot of badly typed "stuff" I run into quite regularly.

Please, folks, take the extra few seconds to write things in an understandable manner instead of racing through it assuming people already know what's on your mind.

9. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

My bad. :eek: :D

Best regards,
    Mr. Moon Shot

10. Mercchev

Mercchev

Now that's funny...

11. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

In drag racing in the 50's we welded the spider gears to get a locked rear end. If like you sayed as a hot rodder you would have knowen that and what I was talking about. I don't think you were ever a hot rodder.

12. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Project Car (which in this case consisted of a body and fenders). There was no car at all, just misc. parts.

Rat rod- anything that has rust on it, anything in primer, anything with flat paint. Come on, your 89 S-10 is not a "rod" of any sort. Heap would have been a better description. Your 48 packard bathtub that is old and rusty is not a rat rod, it is a parts car or "needs complete restoration"

Restored= newer paint and an 80's interior? IMHO that is just a redneck, hurry and get it on the road beater, not restored.

13. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Me? NOOOO, I'm not a hot rodder. You caught me. I'm really a spy from the moon people, lurking on the HAMB to find out all that I can about humans before my people invade the earth. :rolleyes:

I never said anything about that until you brought it up to me directly. It was EVERYONE ELSE telling you how what you said was a misused description. I knew exactly what you meant, by the way.

Attached Files:

14. Oh, so the guy who called was asking if I had welded spiders in my street car??? Who new ?

Thanks, Rusty

Attached Files:

15. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

What are you talking about?

16. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Wow!

17. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Did T-TIME call you?

18. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Uhhh. No. Did you call him? You're the one defending the stupid question he was asked.

Now, we take you back to your regularly scheduled programming...

19. OK, here's a few that make me scream-

1-Original-I'll ask what shape the car is in that someone's trying to sell me. It's all original they say. WTF? Is it all original and sat out the desert for 100 yrs and now needs EVERYTHING? Or is it nice original? Again, they'll repeat, it's all original.

2-90% finished-then I find out it still needs paint/chrome/interior. Apparently those 3 things only represent 10%. IDIOTS!

Nice car-15-20 yrs ago, if someone told you the car was nice, it WAS NICE! Nowadays, people attach the words "nice car" to something that's not really a piece of fucking shit...yet. But it's close

20. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

or, is it really a 396?

21. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

Kind of O/T....But isn't "unthawed" the same thing as "frozen?"

22. shuweet61

shuweet61

It is not car related but my boss always says "caught like a deer with no headlights"

23. r8odecay

r8odecay

My wife says 'hindsight is 50 - 50'.

24. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

thats funny...stupid but funny

25. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

--------------------
    Jeeze, your boss must be really dumb. I mean,
    it doesn't take a 'rocket surgeon' or a 'brain
    scientist
    ' to get an old, commonly used rhetorical
    saying like that right! Sheesh! LOL :D :D :D

26. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

haha I couldn't agree with you more.

27. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

THANK YOU!!! You have no idea how many professional mechanics/technicians/fabricators that work on and build cars I deal with that think I'm lying when I tell them this. I learned it in school when we were doing high performance engine machining. We called 'em core plugs. When I was young and someone told me they were there to prevent the block from cracking I could never fully understand why they never worked and the O.E.'s never resolved the problem. When I learned the right way I felt like a retard for believeing retards.

One that really gets me-when someone puts a head off a larger displacement in the same engine family on a smaller displacement engine and think that that somehow increases the displacement. Like 350 heads on a 305 magically making the 305 a 350. Has anyone ever told you Bore x stroke?

28. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Someone mentioned earlier about the
    overuse of the word "rare" - as though
    "rare" automatically somehow always
    equates to desirable and/or valuable.
    Certain car are rare now because nobody
    wanted them when they were new - just
    as nobody wants them now either. 'Old'
    by itself does not neccesarily mean rare,
    valuble or desiteble! A 4-door diesel
    Chevette with a factory 'rear spoiler
    option', of which supposedly only 2 or 3
    where ever ordered that way, comes to
    mind Absurd, undesirable and unpopular
    when it was new .....and every bit as
    absurd, undesirable and unpopular
    now..but it's rare! Another peeve is the
    overuse of the word "collectible" to describe
    any piece of junk more 10 years old,
    regardless of how ordinary and absolutely
    uncollectable that it. is. Even worse than that
    is the use of phrase "future collectible" for
    ordinary things that aren't even 10 years old
    yet and therefore don't yet even meet the
    bogus "collectible" criteria mentioned above.
    I suppose anything is a potential "future
    collectible
    "....if you wait long enough...but it
    just might not be during your lifetime or the
    lifetime of anyone else who is currently walking
    on the planet and breathing air!

Mart3406
    ===========================

29. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I had a very good friend, Rich Hall, who sometimes got a little toung tied. Around '59 or so, before I went in the Army, we sometimes went to "Henry's Hamburgers"
    'Burger 19 cents. Grilled cheese 15 cents. Rich liked the Grilled cheese and one day he got tied up and ordered a "Chilled Grease" without realizing it. We all thought that was such a fitting discription that it stuck. Much to the managements dismay. Unfourtunaly Richard augered in at Bakersfield a few years later. I lost a good friend.

30. 61TBird

61TBird

[​IMG]

Another one is "Ready for Paint"....Most of the time it's been "Primered" without the use of Tape,Paper or regard for Trim or Glass...

And T-Time,I vote for you to change your username to "Mr Moon-Shot"! That's freakin' Classic!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.