Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Studebaker 1953-55 Customs! Was there any cool ones??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Norrland, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

2. Like this pickup a lot!

3. I think it is still around. I've seen it in person somewhere before, but I don't remember where. At least I think it's the same one. Here's a few pictures I had of it saved on my computer...........E

Attached Files:

4. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

Raymond Loewy would cry if he saw that stude-kamino.
    the red convertible was a total frame-off custom done if Studebaker ever made one.
    a real nice car.

dana barlow likes this.
  5. Hard to make a decent Stude camino. This one is nice. There used to be one that showed up at the local shows here that was just an abortion.

I have seen this green one before. I mean besides in Rod and Custom. It is one real sweet ride. Chopping one is the easy part, keeping the curved glass back glass is a must ans at best is a crap shoot. Better know a glass guy that is a wizard.

Attached Files:

6. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Actually Studebaker did make a convertible prototype. It was found a few years back behind a gas staion in South Bend Ind. (the home of Studebaker). It was authenticated as the original, one and only.

7. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

A single prototype 1953 convertible was built, but convertibles had only accounted for 2% of Studebaker's 1952 sales so it didn't go into production, and financial troubles kept them from making a convertible version in subsequent years.

This ain't it, but a VERY nice example of what could have been.
    [​IMG]

8. studematt

studematt

Here's some front end shots of my 53 coupe that was cutomized in 55-56.

Attached Files:

9. Yeah, what I said...............

10. jroberts

jroberts

Yep, Mercedes protested the TriStar on '53 Studebakers so it was taken off. Only the early '53's have it. Of course by 1955 Studebaker was the sole importer of Mercedes and remained that way until the early '60's.

11. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

The top on this '53 is chopped 2 1/2" at the front back through the quarter windows but the rear of the rear and rear window are in the stock location.
    [​IMG]
    I think this chop looks just about right. Plus, he got by without cutting the rear glass!

12. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Sublime Stude
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In the spirit of the Dick Dean originated "Gentlemen's Chop".

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  13. This is something i could enjoy having on my driveway. All nice including the awsame color

14. teddyp

teddyp

wish i could find some more pictures of it but this was built by hank bank of newark nj in the late 50,s it had a 56 crown vic roof ,50 merc rear window 56 dodge 1/4,s with a packard v-8 stick pretty cool car for a kid back then after he got a new 58 plym. that he chopped there,s a thread about it on the hamb hank had a good eye for customs he also built a nice 51 chevy hardtop for paul russo and a 4 dr 50 ford that his buddy tony had called the dirty bird they maded into a rancho next time i,m at my sister,s i will look i know i have more pictures of it and more

Attached Files:

15. pdq67

pdq67

16. edweird

edweird

They are pretty cool as customs, but everybody knows these are landspeed cars!! Am i right?

Attached Files:

17. edweird

edweird

no thank you!

18. 48bill

48bill

This "green one' was built by Tommy Bacon of West Hartford, Ct several years ago. Tommy a very, talented builder, unfortunately passed away a few months ago.

Attached Files:

19. The Bopper

The Bopper

20. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

21. StudebakerBob

StudebakerBob
    from Lapeer MI

You've got a beautiful car there, it's just waiting for you to bring it out!

22. Damn I hate to hear that. The car is rightious and if it is just a taste of his talent we lost a good one.

23. 55chevr

55chevr

4 Studes at Loring this past weekend

24. OK color me stupid what does a dead aisian and a custom Stude have in common?:confused:

Ok I clicked this again and got a video of a fast albeit ragged stude. No it doesn't count as custom unless you count cussing it while it is being built. I guess because its a new station you click is a crap shoot?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  25. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

26. 61TBird

61TBird

Must be an "PA" thing...:eek:
    (No Real "Pennsylvanians" were harmed to post that:D)

I can see the Guy hitting 180 in the Stude if he lost 100lbs...:cool:

27. roddinron

roddinron

The "green one" Tommy Bacon car is by far one of if not THE best Studebaker ever built IMO. I've got a beautiful rust free (and I mean that) early 53 coupe from New Mexico, sitting in my garage that I've owned for over 10 years. Everything is done except the chop, then I got sidelined with an injury and never completed it. I'm not afraid to cut a car, but a stude is a very hard car to improve. Tommy sure did it right, and has inspired me to dig that car back out and finish it (as soon as the chevy is done that is:rolleyes:).

28. Stu Cool

Stu Cool

The Kart Hauler 53 pick up was originally built in 1957 (before an El Camino was ever built) and was shown at the Grand National Roadster Show in Oakland. The present builder found it and restored it as closely as possible to the original build, including a go kart in the bed. Next month it is going up for auction in Monterey. Very cool car and well done. The convertible in front of it is also a "phantom" and is extremely well done. It has a supercharged Stude 289 for power and he drives it all over. That picture was taken in Pleasanton CA at the Good-Guys event last August, he drove it there and back from the Portland Oregon area.

Here is a picture of my custom '53. It was chopped using Dick Dean's Gentleman's Chop magazine article, though doing a coupe vs a hardtop is a lot more work.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
    Dyno Dave likes this.
  29. Stu Cool

Stu Cool

And here are a couple more pictures of Steve Hudson's convertible with the top down.

Pat

[​IMG]

On this one, mine is across the street, we got a lot of double takes

[​IMG]

Dyno Dave and dana barlow like this.
  30. hotrodstude

hotrodstude

one of the most bueatful cars ever built.you do have to do anything