Register now to get rid of these ads!

It moved!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roll_low, Jul 28, 2010.

1. roll_low

roll_low
    from Rigby, Id

Fired the '50 up and took it for a spin this week! First time it's hit the pavement under its own power in 28 years! Bought this truck from an old farmer here in western Idaho about a month and a half ago. Rebuilt the carb, put on a new fuel pump, fuel lines, and cleaned the tank. Filed the points and cleaned the plugs and it fired right up! Since then I have rebuilt the brakes, re-packed the wheel bearings, and changed out all the fluids. Other than that its just been cleaning things up. Painted a few parts here and there. It had a couple of bugs on its first journey out of the shop but I have those fixed already. Anyways, here are some pics of it outside my grandfather in-laws shop. Next step on the list is a dropped axle and blocks for the back.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. ENFO

ENFO
    from Tucson AZ

Congrats, a first drive is always fun....

3. Shawn M

Shawn M

The first drive is always the most fun!

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations. Looks soiid as a rock...straight too. Makes me want to get my '53 goin'. Have fun.

5. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

MAn that thing looks clean! Congrats!

6. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

nice truck! now drive the wheels off

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice, That is a great looking truck for one that spent it's life on a farm.

8. Farrah Lane

Farrah Lane

That's awesome!!! What an amazing feeling that first drive is!!! I just found that out the first time myself a week or so ago.

It gives me hope that something that was sitting for 28 years now has life.

This is a success story for all those guys who's wives are breathing down their necks about that project sitting on the driveway or yard they haven't touched in who knows how long lol. Just tell your ole ladies to cool her jets, it'll happen eventually :p

I think your truck looks great too btw!!!

9. roll_low

roll_low
    from Rigby, Id

It is insanely clean. Has a very small amount of rust in the cab corners and a little bit of damage on the front drivers side fender(VERY fixable). I would say its 98% rust free. The guy I bought it from was a farmer and owned the International Harvester dealership here in town for years. He bought this truck for his son in 1980. They had the motor rebuilt and had the truck painted shortly after. Then his kid graduated high school in '82 and parked it on the farm. There it sat until I happened to drive by on the right day. His kid just happened to need the cash and so they sold it to me! Talk about being in the right place at the right time! I bet 50-100 cars drive by that house every day! He said he has had people stop about the truck before but they never wanted to sell it. I expected the normal "we are gonna fix it up someday" routine but when I asked if he would want to sell it he just looked at me and said "Yah, sure" Anyways, the guy is super cool. I have been back twice since buying it to show him the progress. Brought a big smile to his face when I rolled up in it. Made my day to see the memories come back to him!

10. roll_low

roll_low
    from Rigby, Id

Thanks man! Luckily I have a really cool wife! She was right next to me when we went for that first spin! She was the one who pushed me to buy this truck(not that it took alot of convincing!)

11. Farrah Lane

Farrah Lane

Yeah that's how I am with my hubby. I won't give him crap if something's taking a while... I like the toys. I just wish we could afford more! We're eventually gonna have his and hers garages lol

From the sound of it, you're lucky to have a cool wife too! :)

12. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

thats truck look sick! cant wait to drive mine the first time. congrats!

13. roll_low

roll_low
    from Rigby, Id

Drove the wheels off the '50 this weekend. Took it to a show on Saturday. Met alot of cool people at that show. The '50 seemed to be a hit! Had alot of people ask me questions about it. Then we cruised over to my Wifes grandpas house to take a pic with him and his '55 first series. That man has forgotten more than I will ever know! He ran a shop here in town for 30 years. He has had his '55 for over 40 years. Then we spent all day on Sunday driving it all over the valley. I am loving it!! :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  14. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Very cool!! You and Gramps looks cool as hell. Couple of tough guys.

15. rustdodger

rustdodger

Good job it looks like the torched is being passed to another generation to carry on.

16. very cool. thats a great truck.

17. roll_low

roll_low
    from Rigby, Id

Thanks for the comments guys! Grandpa is turning 90 here soon and still gets more done in a day than I do! haha.

18. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Very nice - Drive it !-Drive it !-Drive it!- well you get it .I have a 3800 ( 1 ton pick up ) 9ft ( 4 stake hole bed ) paint is not as clean ,but driven daily

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One point of happiness is having a Grandad who understands why you want and have an older rig to drive. Great photo that needs to be printed and framed.

20. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Very nice. I had a 52 that I bought from the school district auction in 74. I'll never forget the "thwump" of letting the clutch out.
    HERE, HERE, To all the cool wives

21. Super Kool Truck ! Wanna trade?

firstnomad

22. GothboY

GothboY
    from SoCal

Congrats man! First drives are great arent they? My very first one when i was a teen in my first car sucked because i had just snadblasted a couple things and had no windshield, lol. But ill never forget that fun time! -GothY-

23. Sweet ride, drivin em is the best part ENJOY!

24. roll_low

roll_low
    from Rigby, Id

Unless its for your 52 chevy.................no! haha. Thanks for the compliment though!

25. dt50chev

dt50chev

Great looking truck. A lot of fun for sure.