Register now to get rid of these ads!

Crushed and Scraped but they didn't get them all

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Verbal Kint, Jul 26, 2010.

1. :confused:
    Did you ever see the "Debbie Downer" skit on SNL?

2. Jax2A

Jax2A

I didn't even see it before, but yes that is a CASE tractor item. My son's name is Case so I try to collect CASE tractor items for him.

3. b-bob

b-bob

I think Ravenwood has a personal reason for what he stated. He may be a veteren or has a son over seas. I can understand if this is the case, and he would be right, but that is for another thread.

4. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I think he was trying to be helpful in his own way, OP said he was depressed over this for a couple of hours, I think he was just trying to put everything in perspective, At least we have the capability to get up in the morning, and start the search over again, a lot of people can't even do that , in other words tomorrows another day, there are more yards to search, more cars to find, at least you woke up in the morning and had another day to do that.

5. Verbal,

Where was that yard at?

Scott/Gotta56forme

6. Gotta56forme,

[​IMG]

Its in SoDak, Plug these into the link below

Lat +43.014972, Long -99.510684

http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html

D & E Salvage, Gregory, SD. Phone: 605-835-9189

The pics in the first post are taken from CoRd16, first due North, second NorthEast and the last South back across CoRd16.

I called and talked the Gregory Chamber of Commerce receptionist who indicated D&E still has a business license, she wasn't aware that the phone number was disconnected. We left Montana at 8pm drove through and arrived in Gregory about 6:30am, we stopped a talked with a garbage man on his route who said he didn't think they were open any longer. The D&E sign off the county road looked like it had been taken down years ago.

I did see a couple cars set aside in a few sections of the yard, but the yard looked wiped out. There was no activity but it was still early 7:30am and I didn't feel like driving aroung the yard without permission (or getting shot).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  7. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

I was riding shot gun with Scott when we drove up to the yard. Interestingly enough I'm a disabled Veteran and we had been talking about the service. Strange karma. Anyhow a lesson can be learned here. I've owned several wrecking yards, and crushed a lot of cars. I just recently crushed 125 cars. So we did the math. Farmer John probably just made about $500,000 for his efforts. When you go to a yard to look around, always buy something. Even if it's a junk hubcap to hang on the wall. $5 means more to the owner for his time you just wasted walking around and asking questions, than a thank you. Nothing makes an owner madder than the "be backers." If you want something agree on a price and leave a deposit. He'll be happy to give you a receipt. "Be backers" don't pay the bills. Another favorite term is the "Squeaker". Do you get to haggle at the grocery Store? Everyone likes a deal. Most owners are willing to give you a deal if you actually have money, and aren't just wasting time. It's easy to make a ridiculous offer when you don't have money. So you wonder why he crushed? Think about it.

8. Now that's funny!

Over the line! Mark it zero!

9. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

Thank you for serving! :) thought I would pass that on, I never pass the chance to thank a vet.

10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I'm with LittleWing. COOL. And the "Doctor WHO" crowd would be lining up to hop one of these babies! You just never know what you may run across in a junkyard. One of the really FUN things about roaming thourhg them!

[​IMG]

11. greensheads

greensheads

NO WAY D and E is gone???!!!
    I thought those hills looked familiar. It was in the middle of nowhere and I always intended to go back now that I have more knowledge and a bit more $(sort of).

My dad and I went there several times in the 90s. We always got what we could afford, mostly parts and pieces. It didnt have a ton of 2dr cars left, but it was a parts car mecca. They just had odds and ends in piles out there around the rows of cars and you could wander around to your hearts content. On the far north end of the yard was about 3 rows of really good early 60s and older cars, that were complete and he said most of them ran. He also made it clear that the majority of those cars were his and he was holding on to them for himself. We never had enough $ to offer him and see if he would hold to that.

The only negative was back then the old man that was at the top wasnt exactly cheap, not really willing to deal. The guy that I thought was his son was more willing to work with you.