Register now to get rid of these ads!

model a frame options?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B Ramsey, Jul 17, 2010.

1. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

the frame on my '31 is messed up. the passenger side rail has been crunched and straightened in a past life. and the front frame horn has been replaced. but the driver side looks ok and the vin is good. car is titled and registered.
    my options, as i have access to a good used frame:
    -replace only the frame rail?
    -change out the whole frame. but then what about the vin? can i restamp the numbers? anyone have any number punches that resemble original that i can rent or borrow?
    - what do you guys think? im not really concerned with the legalities of messin with the vin and im not gonna check with the dmv.

2. troylee

troylee

32 rails is my vote

3. 54MEB

54MEB

If you are set on using a Model 'A' frame and preserving your original VIN# then swapping one side is an option. Is the frame in stock condition? If so it should be fairly easy to do. What are your plans for any modifications to the frame?

4. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

nah, im kinda partial the the A frame. thanks. im keeping the frame stock with no mods.

5. Then it is easy, replace only the damaged area!

6. So spend a day grinding down and drilling out rivets and replace the bad rail. Problem solved. Don't turn it into a big debate, just do it.

7. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

this is a big project for me, just trying to weigh all my options.

8. \
    What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

9. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

so would you even attempt to do it on the car? or disassemble the whole thing. ive actually done this before on a pete dumptruck, rigged cab and bed to the rafters, blocks under the engine, it was a mess.

10. take it apart
    do it right
    tk

11. A's are so easy to blow apart that I would go that route. :)

12. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I feel like one of the best decisions I made when I built my A coupe was starting with a Brookville perimeter frame. It was the most basic 'A' frame they offer. Just three crossmembers and the body mount nut inserts. It gave me a super solid and perfectly square foundation to start with. I think I payed 850$ including shipping but that was 9 years ago...

13. flatford39

flatford39

If you have a title that matches the vin on the frame you could just cut out that section where the number is and weld it into the new frame. I am only talking about the top of the rail where the number is. Seen this done on some deuce rails in the past.

14. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

are you saying graft it in and smooth it so its unoticeable or weld it on like a tag? hmm.

15. flatford39

flatford39

Cut out the area with the old number and then weld in the numbers that match the title. Only do it on the top section. Give yourself enough room so that the welds are 3 to 6 inches away from the numbers. You are lucky enough enough to have a numbers matching frame to a title. Don't screw it up.

16. Why go to all that trouble when it is his PASSENGER rail that is fucked? Replace the right rail, A frames are cheap. Keep the proper VIN and no worries!

Hey Ramsey, how much rail you need? I have a decent right rail that goes back to the wheelwell edge, be easy to wrap up and ship.

17. A funny side note, I went to school with a punker named RAMSEY FINGER. No shit.

18. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Just make sure it gets put back together and don't just put it out behind the garage!

19. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

that wont happen. i spent way too long saving, and way too much money to get the car i always wanted! the frame rail is damaged just in front of the rear motor mounts..... i need to go get that other frame in my possesion already

20. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

you can almost see it in this pic.

Attached Files: