Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville styled 1932 tudor build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Salt Flats Speed Shop, Oct 17, 2009.

1. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

Wow Chris, that's quite the resurrection! Amazing!

2. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Got working today on the gas tank. Ive designed it to be strapped onto the rear braces. Then the rear seat frame will bolt onto the straps.

It recesses down into the space between the two braces. By my calculations it should hold 17 gallons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. PoPo

PoPo

that looks awesome. I love the detail going into this. I need to show my wife what yours came from and what its at now so she believes me it can be done!

4. Wow made it through all 734 posts. You have done a spectacular job. The look is so right. Love the roof fill. I bought mine (in Avatar) about 20 years ago while living in So Cal for the chop it had. Was full fendered hooded and painted. Blew it all apart and stood back and looked at it without fenders, running boards, hood and in bare metal and decided that was how it was going to look. I did feel there was to much engine compartment that needed filling hence the blower. Mine was flat black before it was cool (or was that long after it was cool the first time). Not as traditional as yours. Think I was stuck in the 60's. Keep up the good work. Would love to stop by if I get to B'Ville this year.

5. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

What's the latest Chris?! Are you going to paint it before Speedweek? We're anxous for an update.

6. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Any progress on the sedan?

7. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Unfortunately things have slowed down on the sedan since work has picked up. Both good and bad, nice to have work, but hard to see the sedan sit there.

I'm hoping to get the inside and bottom of the floor painted, then leave the outside bare metal and put it all together before the open house. I did get the quick change in though (just mock up for the open house, still need to go through it completely). I'm defiantly going to need new axles though. The end threads are too messed up to use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

SOME progress is better than NO progress. Hang in there, gotta feed the youngun's.

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Gas tank is nice looking and the banjo looks perfect. I feel like I might have already said this but whatever, I'll say it again.

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

There are 3 full work days in a 24 hour day, Chris! Come on! :D

11. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

Awesome to hear you've got work picking up. That's awesome. I wouldn't mind seeing the sedan in bare metal. :)

12. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Thanks for the update. Customer pay always comes first. The sedan is a real looker with the quickchange.

13. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I got the back window panels in place. I'm almost ready to get the floor and inside of the car painted. Then I can put it all back together for the open house.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I'm getting ready to paint the bottom of the floor, and the inside of the car.
    I love the look of an open frame with a quickchange!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I got the bottom of the floor and the under side of the cowl painted last night.

Now I will put it back down on the ground, take out all the wood, and paint the rest of the inside and the wood. Then put the whole car back to together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  16. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

Ran into you build for the first time. The lines and the craftmanship is spot on....awsome! Boy I need to get back to work.

Thanks for sharring

17. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

Cant' wait to see this ma-CHine in 2 days at the Open House. Can't wait to see it at home on the Salt!

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Have you thought about color for the exterior yet? I know you plan on using it as a rolling business card so the bare metal thing is probably appetizing but I was just curious if a color for the body has come to mind?

19. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm pretty sure he's going Washington blue with black.

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

God that sounds good....with tiny hints of red.

Black frame
    Blue Body
    Black grille shell
    Black interior or distressed brown leather.
    Black wheels with red pinstriping on the rim
    Red steering wheel like Kevin S's old Model a Sedan (I forget does Chris have a '40?)
    Red Engine with black carb bases and black lacquered spark wires with red flecks

Tasty!

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Or maybe....

Blue Body
    Black frame
    Ox blood maroon wheels
    Ox blood interior
    Bell 4 spoke steering wheel
    Black Grill shell
    Maroon engine with black bases on carbs
    '40 Ford caps on wheels

22. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

Met you at the day after open house. Thanks for opening up for us. We made it home after attempting and making it up Pikes Peak. FUN TRIP. Thanks, Ken

23. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

So ive finally had some free time to do something on the sedan. I am starting the long process of body work now.

I am going to do my painting with old style Nitrocellulose Lacquer. But unfortunately lacquer paint doesn't have very good protection where the surface isn't catalyzed like modern paint.

So what I have come up with is this:

First I cleaned the metal with a metal prep solution. Really amazing stuff for taking off any dirt, surface rust, and contaminants.

Then I sprayed a self etching primer so that it chemically bites into the metal.

Then on top of it I sprayed a catalyzed primer surfacer that was tinted to red-oxide color. (That way it acts as a barrier to protect the metal cause the surface seals its self off.)

Then on top of that im putting the lacquer red-oxide primer for my block sanding.

Metal cleaned with metal prep
    [​IMG]

With self etching primer
    [​IMG]

With the catalyzed primer, and the lacquer primer on top.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wow, one step closer Chris....or three in your case!!!! Awesome! That thing is going to be killer man.

25. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

YOu don't need a '33 Coupe do ya? Hehe.....

Are you going to let us in on what you're thinking or is it a surprise? What the goal date for completion.

27. hasty

hasty

Beautiful work

28. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

one beautiful sedan

29. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I'll take a 33' coupe if your offering :)

the color isn't really a secret. It's going to be washington blue lacquer with a black frame. And the wheels are already the finish color in tacoma cream.

As for a completion date I honestly just want it to be done for bonneville next year. I'm definitely shooting for sooner than that. But a lot of it depends on if I can get more money to put into the car. That's why I'm doing the paint cause I already have all the materials. I still have a lot of money to put into finishing the chassis.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  30. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

Wow, primer! Keep us updated for sure on your progress. Watching intently. The Open House was really cool and I didn't even stay once the Bones arrived.