Register now to get rid of these ads!

best method for cutting up a car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, Jul 1, 2010.

1. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I seem to be parting out a lot of cars lately and killing lots of sawzall blades and grinding wheels. What's the best method for cutting of sections of cars, like taking off an entire rear clip?

2. If you not fussy about the results, an oxy-acetylene torch.

3. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

yeah, sometimes there is something I'm looking to save and sometimes I just want it in managable pieces. Right now I'm gonna chop up a 64 econoline van and once I steal the front and rear axles, I need to be able to dispose of the carcass.

4. ScottV

ScottV

Don't cut it up, in the every increasing movement of the greenies you recycle it. Hall it down to the river so this guy can live it it.
    [​IMG]

5. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

if it would bring him back to life, I totally would.

6. Can't you call up one of those guys who advertises for junk cars to come get it?

Nothing else on it you can part out?

Anyways, if you're doing that much parting out, a plasma cutter is probably worth the investment. It cuts relatively clean, fast, and with less effort than a sawzall or cutoff wheels.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I used a plasma cutter to cut up a 53 chevy 4 door with a big block chrysler in it.

I used a cutting torch to cut up a 1960 El Camino California Rust Bucket.

I caught my pants on fire with the torch. I'd recommend the plasma cutter.

8. ScottV

ScottV

I sold the carcass of a 1981 Dodge St. Regis E-58 with no rear, engine, tranny seats, dash, brakes or suspension that was smashed in the front and rear and had been hit so hard it buckled to roof for $200.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

yeah.. it should be a law that if you part somethig out you got to part the whole thing out. we shouldn't be wasting these old car parts.

10. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

the engine, transmission, rearend, front axle, wheels and tires, and the roof all have potential future homes. It's just the body that needs to go. Once I steal the axles, I don't have a way to get it to the scrap yard and most of them want titles. I've been advertising them on Craigslist for free sometimes as scrap metal.

I saw on the HAMB here where someone made a wall cabinet out of the back of an Econoline van. That's what got me thinking here....

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

we got guys in trucks around here that will pick up any scrap you give em. I'd drag the chunks out and put them in a pile and they'd be gone in the morning. you got to cut them up in small enough chunks so they can pick them up.

12. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

13. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

HAHAHAHAHA! Man, that's awesome. I second the plasma cutter.......altho I've used a BFT, that's BIG FRIGGIN TORCH before.

14. 39 Ford

39 Ford

""HOT" Wrench

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

damn.. I just remembered the last car I did I used a sawzall and my grinder and hundreds of cut off wheels.

plasma is best. torch second and abrasive cutting third. too many shavings and sparks for me.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the early 70's I watched a big red headed guy in Waco,Tx cut up car behind a machine shop on Valley Mills drive with an axe. He was a scrapper and told me that it cost money to cut cars up with a torch. Since then I have cut several junk cars up with an axe. It isn't a good method to use if you want to save body panels though.
    The local wrecking yards are paying 100 to 150 for whole junk cars with titles right now. We still have to cut cars without titles up and haul them in in pieces to the scrap yard. I'm not sure what the going price on sheet metal is right now but I got 140 a ton for prepared iron and 70 a ton for engine blocks with the pistons in last week. That 2399 lb load paid for my trip over to Billetproof NW last Saturday.

17. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Around here, you have to give a declaration of ownership if it doesn't have a title. If it's chunks, they don't care. If it is 1/2 of a car, the REALLY care. I just call the scrappers that advertise in the local trading papers and they haul it away if I don't have time.

18. henryj429

henryj429

Plasma cutter hands down unless you're in a spot without power, then the gas axe wins.

19. flynstone

flynstone

quartered a jag (no title)with a saws all only used 2 blades they were the long ones,,got lucky...6 blades to quarter a camero..i think plasma with sawsall back up is the way to go

20. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

i vote for a 220v Plasma as well. I cut up an entire Trans Am in two days with my plasma and 1 sawzall blade for weird spots and non-metal items.

21. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

i prefer a victor torch! sawzall the roof post and gas axe the rest

22. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

Milwaukee SawZall with 'Torch' blades.
    Lot less fire hazard than a torch or a plasma cutter...
    (Lot less fun, too:rolleyes:)
    Jeff:cool:

23. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

haul it down to the White River and dump it

24. pq55

pq55

I cut car with this anywhere in no time.
    Pat

25. ^^^ Yep, that's the fastest way :D

26. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

That thing throws some pretty good sparks too, plus it can only fit in so many places. I cut up an old Monte with Sawzall blades and cutoff wheels one weekend, what I wouldn't have given for a plasma for a couple hours. I've torn the gears out of a Sawzall over time, and cutoff wheels get expensive - plus they can explode in your face. My vote for the plasma.

27. I have chopped up a lot of cars over the years and have found that the sawzall works the best . I own a plasma cutter and the problem is it does not like rust, lead, or Bondo. Nothing says no to the sawzall , the kind of blade is important you need to buy good quality blade's.

Just my 2 cents,

CBB

28. A chopping axe and a wood splitting mall work pretty good.

29. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

I cut up a '68 G10 van when I worked for the phone co. Used a torch, it took me four days. 'Course I was "on the clock" ;>) Normal Norman

30. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

200$ a ton for iron,, Atwater scrap, central valley ca..