Register now to get rid of these ads!

Beginner Driver

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Sweet Doll, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Sweet Doll

Sweet Doll
    from San Pedro

My son is turning 12 soon & that means only 3 years to get him a nice kustom. I dont want to get him something with parts showing, like a hot rod. The other kids might scratch or steal them... Something small but safe. Any ideas for a beginner driver?

2. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

My idea? Get me one :) haha. Im tryin to build one before my licence. next summer../ Anyways. Me and my buddy are building VW's!! Volksrod baja hotrod. whatever kind they end up as they will be kool!

3. BettyRumble

BettyRumble
    from Tennessee

I had considered keeping our Rambler for my son to drive when he comes of age to drive. A friend brought up that it would be perfect because it doesn't get anywhere fast. That would mean no speeding tickets!

4. Sweet Doll

Sweet Doll
    from San Pedro

ooooh... I like that idea!

5. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I bought a 66 Rustang for my 10 year old. Lots of them around for replacement body panels, cheap parts and Carquest has everything else.

6. Diamond N

Diamond N
    from Indiana

Hi...and welcome from Indiana

7. farna

farna

The Rambler is a good idea, so would a Falcon or Chevy II -- but the Falcon or Rambler would be cheaper unless it's a four door. Two door Chevy IIs are just too popular, about like a Mustang. And you CAN get a speeding ticket in a Rambler, even one of the little Americans with flat-head six. It's about all it can do to maintain 60-65 on the freeway with two adults in it (55 up hills with four!), but you can still do 50 or so in a 35... any need to ask how I know this? It was the first car I bought and fixed up to drive myself, been a Rambler guy ever since! Harder to get parts for, but you get in with a Rambler crowd and we help each other out. The Falcon is just about like a Mustang -- get a catalog and order just about anything you'd want except for the bare unit body itself. That might make it a better deal, but finding Ramblers and parts is half the fun, and makes it easier to decide to modify/hot rod a bit!

8. CShroom

CShroom

I would say VW's or any other 60's "economy" car.

The Falcon, Valiant, Ramblers, etc are not high dollar car in many cases. There were plenty made. And they were very basic transport.

As far as not getting tickets? Don't underestimate the ability of a teenager to act like an ass.

And welcome to the H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  9. 60's chevy truck with a straight 6. thats my next project i think it would be cool for a 16 year old make slow and low. when i was 16 my dad gave me his chevy blazer on 38's :)

10. Sweet Doll

Sweet Doll
    from San Pedro

Ramblers seem pretty cool, and like that they can be easily modified... seen some cool pix. Too bad parts are hard to come by...

11. hey from American Rebel Jacket in Chicago

12. farna

farna

Parts aren't as hard to come by for Ramblers as you think -- just got to know where to look! It's just like any other car that isn't really popular and common as dirt. Like a Desoto, Edsel, etc. All of us who can keep a couple parts cars, and there are a half-dozen or so specialty vendors who keep new, repro, and used parts. You might have to wait a few days for something to be shipped in, and large parts (like body parts) may cost a bit mainly due to being shipped from a state or two over, but that's what you pay to have a unique ride. If getting almost any part you'd ever want easily is important then you need to stick with the popular crowd and have a "me too" car. Mustang, Camaro, Falcon.... maybe an early 60s Fairlane (less popular, but since many parts cross with the more popular Fords a lot of parts are available).

13. I can't really help you with advice but I can wish you luck...