Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What did YOU pay

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billytschopshop, Jun 27, 2010.

1. billytschopshop

billytschopshop
    from denver

So HAMBers' what did you pay for your rod, or project car,
    when you bought it, how much you have into it now, and how much you plan on putting in to it. also if you have pics dont forget to put them up

2. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Man I could you all that but I'd have to kill you afterwards.

3. BCR

BCR

Son of a b.... My wife has spys on the HAMB now! Nice try but I ain't tellin.

4. billytschopshop

billytschopshop
    from denver

So, lets see
    400 for car
    200 for 454
    free 700r4 tranny
    total 600 SO FAR but much more to come chopping body work and paint, floor board and who knows what else i find once i get started.

5. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

I'll say what I would say if I was on the price is right........ $1

6. Those numbers are no one's business, for ANYONE'S car! Asking that is just plain rude, dont'cha think???

7. billytschopshop

billytschopshop
    from denver

not really, just a lil fun, hoew bout some pics of then and now, will that make you feel better

8. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

9. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Just like counting beers. Keeping track is for amateurs.

10. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I got good deals on my old tin but I am usually lucky like that.

11. silversink

silversink

Got mine for free and have about 5000 in it so far, at least thats what I tell the wife.

12. The pretty one cost me $100

The ugly one cost me $750

This was back in the days when owning a Studebaker was like owning a Pacer.
    I still use them both. The most faithful cars I have ever owned.

62hawkdriveway.jpg

mytruksnow2.jpg

13. jernlee

jernlee

14. Comet roller with good enough for me paint for $1000.

A coupleafew grand of parts swapped from Falcon to get Comet going.

A had two beers last weekend and I caught a buzz. :D

15. gsport

gsport

99 bottles of beer on the wall.... 99 bottles of beer..... take one down, blah, blah, blah

16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Still counting. I do keep track. But I'm not telling.

17. The funny part of that is folks will argue over the price of a $1000.00-2500.00 car and say " If I could have gotten it for a Hundred dollars less I would have bought it" WOW!! A Hundred dollars is'nt a drop in the hat when it comes to building a car! But those are the tire kickers and woulda-coulda-shoulda folks, you all know them, every crowd has a few. I paid $1200.00 for the '42 Gasser and if he would have said $2500, I still would have bought it! But I must admit this is the first car with sentimental attatchment for me, I suppose that does matter in the bigger picture.

18. $$$$ 3 Chickens, 1 old broken shotgun, 2 Roosters, and 3lbs of The Finest Sausage on the Planet !!! >>>>.

19. James427

James427
    BANNED

I never have any real way of knowing what I have in any given project. I always horsetrade and bargain hunt and it's not uncommon for me to buy a batch of parts for say $500 because I need one or two of them, and then sell the left overs for $1,200. So then I have my two parts for free and I'm $700 ahead on my build. The amount I spend and the amount I make in profit floats back and forth so much I have no real idea how much I've got in any one car.

20. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I set a limit and when I reach it I stop counting!

21. just like everyone else.............too much.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1 The main reason I quit going to mainstream rod runs and shows was the "What's it worth/how much ya got in it" BS. No one elses business unless he is standing there fit a large fist full of hundreds and a big gotta have it look in his eye.

And as a lot of guys say, they really don't want their wives to find out what is invested in the hot rods. I'm lucky as my wife doesn't care as long as I have the bills paid and a bit stashed away for going and doing. The cars have been a big part of our social life since we have been married and many of her friends are wives of other car guys.

There are way too many variables on what guys pay for and spend on their projects.
    One of my buds can't seem to buy anything for his car that he doesn't pay full bore for. Another shops, scrounges, trades and fabricates to build a damned nice car for a seemingly low comparative price.

Some guys spend more simply because their time for car building is at a premium while others will spend 20 hours fabricating a part that they could buy online for 30.00 and install in ten minutes.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  23. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

My current project is a 1948 Ford F-1 and it was free. The trailer rental was $120 and that is the last time it will ever be on one.

< --that one was $2300 with about $17000 in parts on it.

No need to get uppity about the inquiry. Some folks want to know what it would cost if they decided to build one. Some reality up front may help prevent a project collecting dust in a garage for years because the costs were much higher than anticipated.

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

If i knew what to charge for my time..im sure it would be way more than i had planned..so i stopped counting and just keep building as the time and money allows..
    more than likely thats why these builds take years and not months..no gold chains in my house, or my pocket.

25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I don't think it's anyone's business what I paid for anything. I also think that anyone thats anxious to tell you how much they have in a project is just using the dollar amount as a cock extender.

Frank

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  26. billytschopshop

billytschopshop
    from denver

well really guys didt mean to offend any one by askig the question. just wanted to know,

27. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Absolutely. This is a lesson that everyone's Mama should have taught them very early on.

28. This question is kinda like asking a woman "how much do you weigh"? Or "How old are you ..... really"?

29. Wow, I can't believe how many people don't want to say. I personally have way too much (over $7000) in my T-bucket project

30. Big Nick

Big Nick

I paid what i thought it was worth to me, put some into it now and will probably put some more into it as time goes on.