Register now to get rid of these ads!

Growing up, I remember...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, May 27, 2010.

1. junk fiend

junk fiend

as a baby being straped to the gas tank of a honda xr 75 and riding up and down the drive way of are old house with my dad.

my and all my friends riding in the back of the ford clubwagon.

seeing how many kids i could jump on my bicycle.

my dad finding me bicycles in the trash and fixing them up for me.

making my mom take me to the slot car track every day, and beating all the old guys.

in elementry school the cool things were hacky sacks, yo yo's, and tech decks

going to lake havasu and staying in the same hotel my dad did when he was a kid and riding in the 66 16' tahiti that i always thought was going to sink.

trying to find the closest dirt lot to offroad my truck when i got my license.

im only 21 so not that cool

2. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

Packing seventeen kids into my Aunt's '51 Buick.

3. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

bb gun fights

riding my bike all day long

(I don't remember this, but it happened) Falling out of a moving car when I was about 2 cause I opened the door.

- Joe

4. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Hell, yeah, with the neon pink flames and accessories! Don't forget the Fleckstone dash!

5. boldventure

boldventure

Dad replacing the exhaust on his 283 in the driveway. Fired it up with no mufflers and did a couple of burn-out.:eek:
    He put on Walker chambered pipes. He was pissed they didn't last very long.
    They weren't loud enough for me:p

6. I remember playing with matches in the field behind our house and setting 4 acres of ready to harvast wheat on fire, yup every last inch and fearing my dad would beat my arse if he ever found out that I started it.

7. bigken

bigken

Puttin' nickels my parents gave me, into the tiny juke box on the table at the local burger drive-in.

8. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Sticking an old Eveready 9 volt battery to your tongue to see if it still had a charge.

9. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

....oh man all I have to do is read that and I can taste that taste

10. yogel

yogel

Dollar a carload night at the drivein - hiding people in the trunk to get them in when it wasn`t. Nickle night at the amusement park.reversing the shackels to jack the rear up.

11. yogel

yogel

How weird is this? Same thing happened to me when I was about 3!You didn`t fall out on Budd Lake Hill in NJ. did ya?

12. yogel

yogel

[​IMG]Moon eyes Decals on just about everybody`s car.

13. yogel

yogel

14. LowFat48

LowFat48

Asking for a Bowden Spacelander every year for Christmas ......never got one .

Attached Files:

15. Heo

Heo

my grandfather making me a crosbow that i could shoot through
    a 3/4" plank with

16. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

I'm pretty sure that it happened to me in Lakeside CA.

17. I recently explained that common 9V block battery test from our respected misspent youth to my girlfriend (a discussion about testing batteries in her smoke alarms at home) and she thought I was nuts, which is an accurate observation on her part... :D

18. Heo

Heo

We got a dog named madmax that i used to tease with a 9volt
    battery. He couldent resist licking on the battery and the got
    mad and barked at the battery and bite it and got mader and mader

19. Abomination

Abomination

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ygcConBiLV8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ygcConBiLV8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

20. Abomination

Abomination

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HjTAA_da97w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HjTAA_da97w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

21. canadianzed

canadianzed

22. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

My brother and I fought over the one we had like crazy!!

I remember getting my first black eye, after being thrown from the back on a lawnmower engine go cart that my uncle was driving... He skidded to a sideways stop and I flew into a horse trailer hitch.

- Joe

23. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

starting the lawnmower and turning it over on its side, and throwing rocks at the blade. dad yelling at me for hitting the drill with a hammer while drilling a hole. poking a hole with a cutting torch then trying to drill that. doing donuts in reverse, almost tearing the pass. door off the truck when it flew open and hit a berm. we just slammed it shut and never used it anymore.

24. In the early & mid 50s, sitting for hours at the big picture window that looked over the 2 lane road front of our house with my older brother and sister, identifying each car and truck that went by, by year, make and model. They were SO easy to tell apart back then!

In the late 50s & early 60s we lived a couple miles from the Milford Mich GM Proving Grounds. Us kids would sit by the road in the summertime, getting glimpses of next year's new cars being driven home by the GM engineers, our preview of them coming months before they were in the showrooms.

25. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

When the earth was flat..

26. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

Getting up off the couch to change the TV..When the picture went out a good slap on the side usually would clear it up..I learned that from my dad

27. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

haha..that's some crazy shit, you would have been my best friend..

I remember seeing an ad in an old Poular Mechanics selling a device for catching earth worms that used electric probes...well I figured I could make my own so I stripped the end of an extension cord, wrapped the bare wires around two steel rods - stuck them down in the ground and plugged it into the 110v outlet in the garage..played around with it for about an hour, even poured water on the ground... not one stinking worm!
    I don't even tell my kids the stories like that....holy crap how did we ever survive?

28. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

&#8230;Remember the Shell "No Pest Strips" you got at the gas station? ......fancy gold box with windows in it, you would slide in this flat bar of poison and hang it in your house to kill flies. I distinctly remember putting them together and fighting the urge to take a bite out of the poison strip because it looked just like cheddar cheese&#8230;ok maybe I did take one taste.&#8230;man no wonder my brain is toast.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  29. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

boy does this bring back memories, I wonder whatever happened to Mad? this is a great thread, my sister just brought down a bunch of stuff from when were kids, and I'm surprised anything survived.

I remember having a yard full of junk cars and no one complaining,

being able to blow up,melt down, and otherwise destroy those little green army men,and no one sent a SWAT team out.

trying to put 8 tracks back together, that got caught up in the machine

pouring gas down ant mounds and burning them out:D

100 pound VCR's

VINYL!! and I still have a lot of it!!, I happen to like the sounds they made,clicks ,scratches, and all.

for anyone who remembers going through Ashtabula Ohio, the flying saucer gas station. now torn down :mad:

having a chance to see a drive in movie before the place closed

railroad people letting you see inside of the train, before our society went SUE happy

riding bikes without helmets,knee pads, gloves, or bulletproof vests, if you wiped out, that's what moms were for. a little bactine would fix anything

it was common for people to grow their own gardens

NO Walmarts!!

No dam cell phones, except the really expensive ones rich people had

MG's and Lucas electrics lol

30. NJ Mike

NJ Mike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NJ

guess this happened to more often then I thought - I did the same thing - opened the door in my moms 63 nova when she was pulling out of the supermarket -- we never wore seatbelts back then :) a little bump on the head - dr dusted me off and said stop playing with the door handle when youre in the car.... today my mother would have been brought up on charges !

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010