Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Hottest Kustoms Lately...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheFrenZ, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Damn there are soooo many great inspirations on this thread. This thread just burned up an hour and a half real nicely for me.....now what the hell was going on the net for anyways?? Fuck it.

2. Glad to see some out of the ordinary makes. Looks good. Did you start a thread, awhile back, on this build? What engine/trans combo will it have? Hopefully Poncho!:cool:

3. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

Kool thread !!!!!!

4. Skrap metal

Skrap metal

i have wet dreams of that acme speed shop 36

5. I just ran across this thread ... great photos! I'll enter one here (If I missed seeing it already posted on this thread, i apologize).

HAMB member Tony Miller's (50fraud) 56 Ford Vicky custom ....
    [​IMG]

View before the hubcaps shown in above photo.
    [​IMG]

6. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

WTF!?! Is that a tank in the back!?!

7. Tony Miller's Vicky is awesome!

Zed, I see your point- the detail gods descend- however one of those caps is probably worth more than 12 model kits or most of my art collection. Maybe these caps are what the guy likes. The car looks super quality- gonna have to live with what are the last things to go on the car.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  8. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

yep its a poncho, im running the stock 268 straight 8 and hydro stock rear with 3.08 gears, probably gonna be mostly stock.only real modern upgrade is 12 volt the bags and the four link, the rest is OG parts from the period.

i am doing a thread on it, but its not too exciting at the moment, just frame work and fabrication.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4922876#post4922876

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  9. Is the Brougham sectioned? I don't think so. If so, it's super subtle. It's the great paint harmonising with the stainless trim makin' it look so lean is'nt it?
    Thanks Zmcmil2121

10. No, it wasn't at S.M. . Still trying to get it back on the road.:mad:

11. chopt49

chopt49

Disagree on this one, spent a lot of time looking it over at the Sac autorama and the lines are not good.

The way the doors open and leave an odd shelf or bump at the windshield base is wrong.

The rear of the car is awkward in many ways...rear bumper fit and extra do-dads that pop up around it.

The roof does not flow right when viewed in person, as the windshield looks too big or something.

What is with the headlights? Looks like a bad boob job with nips pointing in opposite directions!

Sorry, I know this is a BIG $$$ car and built by the Strange crew, but they missed it on this one, IMHO.

12. Don't like any of that lot.

13. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

I like all Kuztom's, while I may dislike some aspects of them ,I would never go and bag them on a International Forum,I think its unfair to the builder who has done his best ,even though he may not have got the look 100% , I still think he deserves credit for what was achieved.

14. Orn

Orn

Kuztom, I agree with you to 100% :cool:

15. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'll disagree with you on this one. The rear window is a bit awkward, but given how it seems like many builders go with rear glass that is too small for the size of the car, I'm not going to hold it against him too much. I think the tail lights were an especially nice feature and definitely added some visual interest to the car. I'm not a fan of the headlights or choice of wheels, but I don't think the intent was to build a traditional kustom. Overall a very sharp car in my opinion.

16. X2!

(Even though some old woman told me that I "know nothing about Kustoms");):rolleyes:

And thanks for the mag Kuztom - much appreciated.

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn....North Carolina.

18. chopt49

chopt49

I was not "bagging" on the builder as a matter of fact I gave credit to the builder. I just think there are aspects of this car that do not work well. Look at the picture i took (see it below), clearly there was not much thought put into the area at the post when the door is open... closed you don't really see this, but they show the car with the door open, so it jumps out at you! Just looks bad. LOok at the way the rubber bends around it too.. come on!

I know this is not a traditional kustom, and I did not judge it on that. I look at it as a high dollar car with some design issues...

Attached Files:

19. Gomes

Gomes

What do you need to know?. I did the glass in it . I know the owner .He sold it a couple yrs ago. It was built in Concord Ca

20. bowtie57

bowtie57

Great pictures of cool cars.

21. HRod 50

HRod 50

Beautiful with a capitol B........

22. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

This lame built two of the nicest kustoms on this thread. Radials and all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. I have a 40 Merc that looks close to this one. It has a 1956 354 hemi with 57 caddy hub caps, 49 plymouth bumpers and 47 lincoln door buttons. Does this mean I did it wrong? Could you show me a picture of how you built your kustom for future reference for my next build. By the way, I realy like the maroon merc.

24. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Unfair! Not all of us have blowouts!!! :D :D :D

I think the purpose behind that was to try to eliminate the WTFDoIDoWithMyAPillarAfterIHardtop syndrome. Something that will bother me until the end of time. I actually think it works pretty well in this situation. Agreed, it does look awkward with the door open, but real kustoms don't open their doors! All in all I think Tim did a great job on this car despite a few things us traditional guys might not dig.

25. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys for not letting this becoming a complete pissn comp like so many threads these days and gettn it back on track.

26. Lack of stainless around the windshield and any other windows is a blemish.

27. I don't care for the cars with the big wheels. TOO StreetRoddy! The cars look pretty good,but the wrong wheels can ruin a nice car. Street Rodders tend to follow whatever the latest trends are,instead of appreciating the foundation where Customs started.

When this Merc was at the GNRS a couple years ago,it had big-inch wheels on it. When it showed up at the Merc Gathering in Sacremento,it looked like this! HUGE improvement!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Not to start an arguement but IMO the Bettancourt Merc is proof that beltline and window stainless is not required to produce a stunning custom. Quite possibly the greatest Merc ever built and it has neither. I agree car done well without it are far a few between but it can be done.

29. I love the way cars look with the stainless and chrome STILL on. Never been a big fan of cars with the trim below the windows removed. Right up there with painted bumpers and roll-pans. YUK!!!!
    Why would you want to make an old car look modern?Modern car have NO character. The chrome and stainless give old cars their personality.

30. Yes Bob, that is right. Yes the Bettencourt didn't have the stainless around the windshield but if it did it would of looked much better.I was told the reason it didn't was because they were trying to have it ready for a show,but who knows if that is true or not. K13 I never said anything about the beltline stainless,some look good with them or without. As far as customs go , you cant tell me that on a chopped car rubber seal from a civic look's better then the original stainless after it has been cut and polished and put back where it should be.