Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do your kids like going to car shows?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jrsautografx, May 31, 2010.

1. jrsautografx

jrsautografx

Sorry if this has been asked before, I know somebody asked if your other half likes cars. I said to my kids yesterday that there is an All Chevy car show and an air show coming on the same day later this month, which do you want to go see? They both said Chevy's. My son is 6 and loves Vettes and El Caminos and my daughter 4 likes looking for purple cars.

2. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I never asked them, I just took them to shows. now, all of them are grown up and they still like the shows and they take their kids

3. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

My daughter goes to most of the shows I go to. My sons never, and they were brought going to shows.:(

4. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

My wife will go to one or two shows a year and has favorites actually based on the food booths. My kids are less tolerant of the old man's car thing. When they are around, which is rare, I can usually get them to accompany me to a smaller show or cruise, but its clear they are thinking more about hanging with dad than the cars.

My dad was into music and cars. He has two car guy sons and two music guy sons. I didn't do as well. My 21 year old son does not even own a car and doesn't currently feel his life requires one. My daughter owns a basic transportation car but at least she bought and maintains it out of her own pocket.

5. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Yes and she gets upset if I leave her at home.

6. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Yes

Attached Files:

7. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

They'll come out to a couple of the smaller shows, but it usually ends costing me dinner out and a trip to the nearest Dairy Queen. But I look at it this way, for 15 and 17 yr old girls to still hang with mom and dad once in a while, I've got it better than most !!!

8. I never asked, I just took them, and we always take a picnic and have a lot of fun. It isn't just car shows that need to be fun - after working in the garage with dad, they get to go for a ride... usually to get ice cream. Is it bribery? Nah, just classical conditioning. Hard work and greasy fingers now means cool ride and a treat later! My son is 10, and he's already turning wrenches and spotting classic tin. We have a deal - he gets to pick his first car, but he has to build it himself. We'll start looking for a basket case as soon as we finish stitching Blue back together.

Attached Files:

9. One of my 6 likes cars and the shows, the rest, not so much, take after their mother too much...:(

10. The girls were 7 and 3 the first time. They are now 31 and 27 and we still do shows together. They drag the hubby and boy friend. Goodguys is usually my father's day present from them. Must say though they do have gold chain tastes but I'll never complain.

11. uc4me

uc4me

My 3 year old likes to go to cruise nights with me. We have "picnic dinner" as she calls it, on the tailgate...I am pretty sure she likes it for the food mostly

12. twink

twink

My oldest daughter does not like the shows so much,She is 18, But the youngest which is 6 ,Seems to enjoy it, She loves to ride in the F-1.

13. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Not only does my son like car shows , his two daughters do too.

14. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

My kids did not like to go to car shows.

But the reason they did not like to go was because I always would see someone I know there and stop and start talking about cars which drove the kids crazy because once I start talking to someone about cars an hour seems like five minutes when I start talking.

If I could just go to a car show and not stop and talk I think the kids would have enjoyed it a lot more.

The kids would always ask me Dad how do you know all these people.

Jimbo

15. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

Yes he does. He is 4 and this year will be his 4th NSRA York show - he's been talking about it for the last 3 weeks. He also likes working with me in the garage - although as a 4 year old his attention span isn't good for a full day. :) A few weeks ago he "helped" me change a radiator and only dropped my sockets into the pan of coolant once.

I figure I need to take him now to build up memories of when he was a cute little kid - so I can think about them instead of going crazy when he's a teen!

16. big-vin

big-vin

my two boys are 4 and 2-1/2 they both like going to shows and helping me in the garage

17. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

car shows, thats where my kids learned thier colors

18. howco

howco

Daughter wanted nothing to do with it,same with youngest son, but my oldest, he is a total car freak, like his Dad........

19. chevyshack

chevyshack

Ive been taking my kids to shows since they where babies. My oldest is 15 and preppy and dosnt care about cars and my youngest son is 12 and alittle better but dosnt like going to shows unless he's getting food. Although he is better at identifying cars and turning a wrench.

20. metal man

metal man

My son is 14 now and has loved car shows since diapers.He especially likes the long roadtrips when we find other cool things to do along the way.Now,however he is a guitarist for two heavy metal bands.It seems like every time I take the Fordy somewhere,he either has a gig somewhere or has a practice scheduled for a whole band.He will be going on tour this summer and will likely miss a lot of cruising time.
    It makes me sad and I miss him coming along,but at the same time I am super proud of the kid for being passionate about something productive.He is still a car guy,and I believe he always will be,but right now cars are definately taking a back seat.

21. I took my son to speedweek when he was 5....just the 2 of us. Now that was an adventure....now he's 14 and mostly likes girls!!!! But he likes cars too...just not "car crazy" like I was....

22. metal man

metal man

Yep,same here.I definately knew more about cars at fourteen than my son does , but he has already had more girlfriends than I have had my whole life .Cars were all I cared about back then.Looking back ,I was a dork:D.

23. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

My 3 Kids grew up at Brainerd International Raceway, and BlackHawk Farms.
    My oldest daughter went to the roundup this year and was chatting with Ryan at the HAMB booth, and my youngest goes to Back to the 50's with me for fathers day. My son drives a Volvo and has no idea what a wrench is, but that is ok too.

jim h

24. springer

springer

My three year old son likes to look at cars on the HAMB and on the model forums. If I take him to shows he does ok but sometimes get board early and wants to leave. My 13 year old son loves going to shows. He got to go to Vintage Torque fest with his uncle and left me at home. He also likes to build models with me. My 8 year old daughter likes to go to the small local shows and my 1 1/2 year old daughter will be going to her first show on Fathers day. I went to lots of car shows and antique tractor shows with my dad and brother and always had fun.

Attached Files:

25. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

Nope. They love to ride in my 59 olds, my 5 year old daughter loves to wash it. She also likes helping me work on it. But they can do without the shows. Kinda cool!

26. jethro29

jethro29
    from delaware

16 year old son,9 year old daughter,won't miss one and are usually in the car before me.redy to roll.

27. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

My kids when small went to small .mto large shows every weekend for years..Camped everywhere we went, and the all-ways had a good time...They no longer attend shows now grown...I gave them car show burn out..20 shows per summer, for 10 to 15 years,, Lots of burn out time, but they were in 20 or more different states,,,

28. Yes, right to the swap meet looking for 3 for a buck hot wheels cars.

29. T Achilli

T Achilli
    from walworth

My 15 year old likes to go swaps and shows, Jefferson Swap is our twisted version of camping ,never complains about the rain or cold and allready knows to expect it. Went to hunnert car heads up this year with me (more rain). He wants a model A truck or a 38-39 ford truck but is hoping for my Polara.
    My 5 year old went to his first car show/cruise at Gus's Drive In in East Troy with my wife and I and some friends,enjoyed the music and looking at neat cars and the french fries.

Attached Files:

30. j conrad

j conrad

i have always taken the kids to shows growing up, but now that they are getting older they asked me if i could stop asking them to go because they dont want to dissappoint me by telling me NO.. i think its kinda funny . they love to help me work on the cars and would say they would rather drive around and soak up the attention than walk around in the hot sun looking at other peoples cars when we have our own in the garage