Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Fiberglass 32 Ford? Yes or no?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, May 28, 2010.

?
  1. Never, no way under any circumstances

108 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. Only if you can't afford a real one

128 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Hell yes!

215 vote(s)
    47.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jguff

jguff

It's a kit car, just like a Cobra copy or some other kit.

Jerome

2. rebstew187

rebstew187

:dlol

3. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Yes, you are right.If I wanted to get rid of the cars I have, running and project, I could own a '32. The '38 blown Lasalle build is my true love, so much even, that I wouldn't trade it for a steel '32. The '32 is just not so high on my list that I want to give up everything else.

A glass 32, in a trade, is a different story! Because it will be a hotrod, a toy, until the '38 is done, It really won't make a difference too me.

4. James427

James427
    BANNED

I agree with this 100% Any car can be fun for a while. I fell into owning a fiberglass t-bucket and have really been surprised at how much fun I've had driving it around. And, when you are done or bored with it, sell it and cash in on the good deal you got and move onto the next one.

5. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

heres a simple lesson in capitalist market structure and why you steel loving guys should LOVE a replica....(just in case you slept through high school economy)

when supply is far less then demand, prices rise. if this trend continues, prices will eventually make it so that no one but the elite can afford a real one. does this make you joe cool? not in my book. (can you name the last person in your town that bought a duesenburg?)

so what do you do to lower prices? well, you could travel back in time and get henry ford to produce more...or you could get a group to travel back in time to keep people from cutting them up or crushing them but if we havent invented cold fusion, this isnt a possibility.

(unless you are marty mcfly)

so what then? flood the market with replicas. if the replicas gain in popularity the supply then goes up to better match the demand and prices drop....deal with it. now we can ALL afford a real steel duece coupe, and im thankful cause im a guy on an extreme budget

so appreciate a glass car, unless you are in it for resale value, then you are just another leech on the car scene

/rant

6. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I've owned both (two glass and one Henry steel) and had fun with all of them. Build what you can afford and drive the hell out of it.

7. otas

otas

Duece Roadster, Those are some purdee cars!!!!!!

8. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I'm glad I didn't ask if I should paint it pink and put a SBC in it!:p

9. WHAT PRICE GLORY!
    Hey 38FLATTIE,
    HELL YES, GO FOR IT!
    Get whatever body you can afford - glass or steel. And be so happy when ya drive it down the street!
    I used a glass body for my '32 and I'm happy as a clam! Been on the road about a couple weeks now. This is a four year project completed.
    Every one should be on bended knee and give thanks to the folks who build the new bodies - glass and steel. Why? Because it keeps the tradition alive! Alive for those who will not or can not procure an "original". Whats the alternative? When the originals are gone or cost as much as a new car then maby people can turn to the jelly bean imports - cheap and available just like old iron was after WWII.
    HELL YES, GO FOR IT!

10. turbodickie

turbodickie

You will not get half your investment back on a glass car but you will get all your money back with Henry steel. Have fun either way.

11. gh331

gh331
    from australia

Just build what you want drive it and have fun

12. I had a glass coupe body, nothing wrong with them but, I sold the body and a flathead to buy a junk steel coupe body, collected the missing parts for a year and a half. Now I am working my arse off trying to get it back to a ........well trying to get it back together. One thing I have learnt over the whole time, if you want a steel coupe bad enough you wil get one no matter what, you just need to work harder than everybody else for it and 'i dont mean money', hunt shit down and grab any section of the body that somes up. Dont think that even a 3 window is out of the question, I saw at Portland swap a guy selling a messed with door, part of a cowl and other sections, someone could have started there.
    I did all my panel/part collecting from Australia.....i aint easy, but its a hell of allot of fun :)

13. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

If it was not built in 1932 it is a copy or reproduction, whats so difficult to understand about that. If it wasn't built in the production year it is not a real year car. Fiberglass or metal makes no difference. You can do what ever you want but please get the terminology right.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  14. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

b.s.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think too many guys spend way too much time telling others how to run their business and berating when they don't toe up to the imaginary line.

I'd say trading a couple of cars for a glass bodied 32 coupe "replica" would be pretty cool if you actually wanted the 32 or could put it together as a runner for resale to bring in bucks for your "real" project.

Or you could put together with a mild engine and a hood and use it as a daily driver and be the guy who drives the cool ho trod to work every day. Where most guys with a steel bodied car would go nuts worrying about the car in daily use a glass car would let you say ah what the hell and just drive the wheels off of it and grin the whole time.

I think the big issues are , does it have a quality body that actually looks like a 32, is the rest of the car up to snuff, is a 32 something you want or on the other hand can you put it together to flip for money for you project without going broke in the process.

16. Do the trade, build the car & enjoy it, fuck everyone else, enjoy it & drive the wheels off it. With the money youv'e saved from not buying a rusted out Henry steel body, buy an original model A Coupe body & a steel Model T body. Build them later on.

I've built & owned fibreglass & steel cars I enjoyed them all the same. The "grin factor" & the sound the engine makes does it for me & when I see Hot Rods on the road driving -they make me smile. I could never afford a steel 32 but I can afford a steel Model T or A body. If I sold everything I own including my soul, my kids, my dog etc I could probably afford one. Could I justify it - NO, would I enjoy it - yes but no more than any of my other cars. In fact I'd be scared of someone stealing it.

Give me a Glass 32 Roadster bodied French flathead powered car & you can have my shitbox daily driver.

When you get sick of people asking if it is steel or glass, just tell them its steel. If they figure it out to be glass, tell them you stole it, "I thought that's what you meant???"

To quote Jack Black on silicone boobs - "if I can touch them - they're real"

Build a Hot Rod & enjoy it, that's what its all about, isn't it????

17. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

BobbedT, how's that coupe build going? That's an awesome car!

Since I only have to trade one car, even up, I don't see how I can lose. Just waiting for the owner to get back and finalize the deal with me.

18. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

You, my friend, get it.

19. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Jeeze!

Attached Files:

20. 63Compact

63Compact

Damn sorry to hear that Don,that must feel like selling a kid!!!

I think I'll go take my 32 Speedcraft roadster for a spin around the block.

21. beauishere

beauishere

Roger that!

Aloha

22. I see this thread was started today. Is that right? Surely not again?

I've seen this thread repeated over and over and the outcome is always the same.

One big and very dead horse.

23. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Get a 30-31 Model-A bro. Real Steel and a lot easier to come by than a Deuce. Close enough to quench your thirst, and it has a soul as it has passed through the lives of many people. You will have ghosts co-piloting with you where ever you go, looking out for you. I can't stand glass cars (except for Ed Roth's). Stand beside a glass car and listen to the driver shut the door. YUCK! Fiberglass... No Soul...No Thanks...

24. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Today everything's fake, so why should a '32 Ford be exempt?

25. If it wasnt made in the year of manufacture then its not real? What about all those fake coker made tires you guys are driving around on or real bodies on asc rails? Where does it end?

26. Harms Way

Harms Way

APPLYING YOUR CRITERIA !

That would mean, were not "Real Hot Rodders" and our "TRADITIONAL" Hot Rods built in the style of the 40's or 50's (That were not actually built in the 40's & 50's as Hot Rods) are Indeed Copy's or Reproduction
    Hot Rods,.... built to "Fake" a certain era !

So when describing yourself,....Please, Get the terminology right !

27. John Stimac

John Stimac

Had one glass car in my life, a flipper 34 coupe. No one could tell if it was steel or glass, but I knew. Theres only one person its going to bother, and thats YOU the owner. So if it dont bother you, go for it. It bothers me, so I have to have steel- glass cars are petrified snot to me.

28. Thats a nice way to put it, hahahahahaha Thanks. Everyone else says Im a little simple :)

29. Harms Way

Harms Way

Exactly,....

Brake components ?
    Interior, upholstery ?
    Original Ford script glass ?
    Fasteners,.....?
    Engine gaskets ?
    Original Ford paint ?
    Gauges ?
    wiring ?
    Front or rear axle ?
    All suspension components ?

Patch Panels ?,..... exactly what percentage of your car is "Real Henry Steel"?
    Common, man up !,... tell people My Deuce Coupe is 60% to 80% Real !,... ah,... the rest is FAKE ! you know Patch Panels and bondo,..............

I remember seeing the "Lil' old ladies" at restorer events getting into heated arguments over the same things,.... and all the Hot Rod guys laughing about the "snobs". now we call em' "gold chainers", but they come in all shapes & sizes, and apparently in all venues,..... they ruined the fun for the other guy's,.....

If your worried about what is in another "(Apparently) Copy or reproduction" Hot Rodders garage,...... ya' better look close to see if your gold chain is showing.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  30. Considering the amazing job JustplainJ is doing on the glass '34 he got,as a Streetrod roller,and transforming it into a Traditional "appearing" Hotrod,I would give a glass car a second chance. Check out the tread he has on the build,then decide for yourself. The odds of finding a steel '32 "AND" being able to afford it,are pretty slim! Sometimes the deal is too good to pass up...
    I think alot has to do with the direction you plan to go with it also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.