Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Looking for "I've Been Everywhere" decal/sticker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wheelgun, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Damn, you ARE the man!

2. moses

moses

i scored this one at an estate sale last weekend found a picture frame there also $4.00
    jeffrey

Attached Files:

3. 1939STREETROD

1939STREETROD

4. Wheelgun

Wheelgun
    from Wisconsin

I have a vague memory of the cartoon bird you describe but I cannot recall clearly if the one I am looking for is that same image or bird. I have a feeling that the one I'm looking for has neither the hat or cigar. The main concept I recall is just the Heckle/Jeckle type bird holding a hobo-like bindle-stick with a sort of bright or happy go lucky attitude and the phrase "I've been everywhere."

I've spent hours searching the 'net for all variations I can think of regarding birds, hobos, travel and the phrase, which is the key theme of the image. I realize that the decal is more of a travel theme than an automotive one but they obviously go together. It gets tedious to weed through hundreds of images of high-performance automotive type decals in hope of finding the one I'm looking for. That is why I resorted to posting a wanted message here, on eBay and elsewhere.

If I do ever find one I assume it'd probably be fragile and near useless for application. So, I would either use it as a master to have it professionally recreated, or, more likely, have an artist/painter create images of it. Actually, simply finding a clear photograph of the decal would suffice or at least provide visual reference for continued searching.

I've read the follow-ups to your response and see that someone found your Donald Duck related image. That's cool. That probably wouldn't have happened if you hadn't responded to my months old post. You also renewed awareness of my original message.

Thanks for the input and bumping up the old message!

5. Wheelgun

Wheelgun
    from Wisconsin

Those are more high-performance automotive decals and stickers rather than travel-themed ones which is what I'm looking for.

However, I did find a nice surprise at that eBay store. They show a sticker for Schlieper's Speed Shop http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120574391596 which used to sponsor my brother's stock car back in the early 1970's. Back in that era I bought a Holley Spreadbore carburetor there to replace the stock Rochester Quadrajet on my 1968 Olds 442. What a difference the new Holley made. Schlieper's was a popular engine builder and speed parts retailer in the Milwaukee area.

6. Wheelgun

Wheelgun
    from Wisconsin

I did a bit of searching in hope of finding a legal download of it for you but all I've found are a number of websites offering (apparently) unauthorized downloads of it.

I did find that specific cartoon listed at Lucky Number (1951) and a review of a multi-disc compilation which includes it at Walt Disney Treasures: The Chronological Donald, Volume Four (1951-1961).

There are other reviews online of the compilation and many more links related to the cartoon. Here's the link for the search I used:
    http://www.google.com/search?&q="Donald+Duck"+"Lucky+Number"

7. 63Compact

63Compact

8. RichG

RichG

isettajohn, it sounds like the person you're describing used your image to promote some business or venture, and yes, that would be inappropriate. I think that what we're talking about here, images retained for personal use only, is a different matter entirely. I respect that photographers and artists have to protect their work, I get that. Just be careful to not over-generalize an issue that is far more complex than what you're presenting.

9. RichG

RichG

Wheelgun, that is one sneaky image you're looking for! :p I've sicced my search on it several times with absolutely no luck whatsoever... but I'll keep it on my list and it may pop up eventually:D

10. Wheelgun

Wheelgun
    from Wisconsin

Your assessment is precisely my intention with this graphic image I'm trying to find. I'd prefer to find one or more original decals in usable condition, but, lacking that, I'd settle for obtaining a photo of one to create an artistic rendering or variation of it for personal use on a vehicle.

Respect for someone else's intellectual property is the right thing to do.

11. Wheelgun

Wheelgun
    from Wisconsin

I have spent hours searching for an actual decal or just a photo of it and have struck out. Even with sending feelers out for it via this forum and other websites, no one else has produced a copy of, or link to, one of them. Other folks stated they've seen it so that shows I'm not merely a whackjob who imagined it.

Since I have a fair recollection of what it looked like I could have someone with artistic skill create an image like it, but, finding an original has now become like a Holy Grail effort for me. The decals are out there, either new old stock or applied and in use, so, something's gotta show up somewhere sooner or later.

By the way, I've searched Flickr and other photo gallery type websites for it. I thought they'd be productive archives, but, so far, no luck.

Thanks a bunch for taking up the cause!

12. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A link to that picture was posted earlier in the thread, so I'm guessing no.

13. j mccullough

j mccullough

SAM_0932.JPG

tb33anda3rd, Fern 54, Tim and 5 others like this.
  14. j mccullough

j mccullough

Sorry I'm late to the party (6 years). I still have a new "I've Been Everywhere". It has an adhesive back and as far as I've been able to determine Sunshine Expressions in Sundance, Wyoming doesn't seem to exist anymore. I always bought duplicate decals for my bike's saddlebags in case of new bags or a new bike. This one is at least 23 years old and probably older. Oddly enough I was just going through all my old decals and went online to see if I could get duplicates of this decal. It's not for sale but at least you have a picture.

slv63 likes this.
  15. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Cool! j. Mccullough found it. the power of the hamb. I wonder if Wheelgun is still around.
    BTW I like the art. I wouldn't mind having a copy myself, although I guess I haven't been "everywhere"
    Wow, 6 years after his search began!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  16. The OP hasn't been on the HAMB since Aug 2010, but it's cool to see the sticker in question.

17. I guess the OP , must be trying to get everywhere still ? 6 years should be done by now...... Oh North Korea is the hold up on being everywhere.. lol

18. I was hoping it was going to be the Minah Bird from this Warner Bros. Chuck Jones cartoon...

19. IMG_1182.JPG [pretty sure this is what your looking for?

Fern 54 and Tim like this.
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Upright for a better view.
    SAM_0932.JPG

21. Dakotadogman

Dakotadogman

I realize this is reopening an old thread, I hope you will forgive me, but I know that bird!

And if you are interested, Now for the rest of the story!

Roy Stacey was born to an old fashion farm family in eastern South Dakota near the town of Farmer. From early on he was placed into the world as a resonance warrior poet type. His Grandfather Dan had come to the USA from England 1 step ahead of the law. His father, Harry went west river (SD) in the early 1900's to break wild horses. Roy was one of 8 kids who loved to pick sides to fight. At the same time he had a love for drawing. Even in early grade school his pen and ink sketches were better than most other kids' color art work. Colored art was actually a struggle for him as he was red / green color blind. (when painting he had to read the tube to see what he was working with, it was all grey to him!) Being from a working farm family, while his art was appreciated it wasn't the expectation for a working man. In Harry's later years he visited Roy's shop at Great Western Enterprises. Seeing the business Roy had built from the ground up Harry's only comment was "Do beat all what a man will do to get out of an honest day's work!"

The warrior began to take over. When he was 14 he decided he needed a motorcycle. His mom disagreed so he took off to ND on his Indian Chief to drive gravel truck. Crossing the reservation at Fort Pierre in the 1950's was a different world than today. The Indian got sold off to fund a Harley hard-tail. He traded the Harley off later for his love BSA's. He excelled in short track racing in his Gold Star.

Over the years he ventured back and forth from Gravel trucks (IH) and art. Screen printing came into his world thru advertisement fliers for White Drug and the packing plant in Sioux Falls. In the late 1960's he and a "friend" started up Great Western Enterprises, in Rapid City SD making Shirts, Caps, bumper stickers and decals. Early stickers were water transfer (last I saw Reptile Gardens in Rapid had found a stash in the old warehouse and had them for sale). Later on the mylar sticker took over. Great Western became Sunshine Expressions of Spearfish around 1980, and was later moved to Sundance WY and sold. The new owners were really only interested in the t-shirt end and allowed the sticker company to disappear.

While the company was still in Roy's hands he ended up traveling a lot to trade shows and keep the racks filled. At one point in time Sunshine expressions had major markets in all 50's states, with crests (the shape of the bird sticker) representing each. I believe he also originated the "No Puffin" sticker. It was not uncommon back then to find campers with stickers marking each state they had visited. It was on one of these many trips away from home that Roy found himself at a all night truck stop getting coffee. He always had a pen in the pocket, and any available napkin or place-mat was a likely sketch pad. That particular night as he was missing home and sketching the hobo crow came to life on my dad's page.

And now you know...

God Bless, Dakota Dogman

PS - it sure does my heart good to see his art work again & hear people remembering it. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

KoolKat-57, tb33anda3rd and pprather like this.
  22. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

Good job in finding the decal. A bit of trivia with the song in Australia we had the Aunty Jack show they sang the I've Been Everywhere man song................. I've been to Wollongong, Wollongong, Wollongong, Wollongong, Wollongong I've Been Everywhere. But you might need to be an aussie or have been to Wollongong to get it