Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bracket pattern tracing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nashvegas99, May 25, 2010.

1. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

hey everyone. I'm wondering if someone has or could get a pattern for the front brake spindle brackets for the disc brake conversion kits of a 1949 Dodge Coronet. I have someone that can cut it out for for me (very cheaply). All I need is the tracing of the bracket. If someone could help, that would be great. Thanks.

2. Wow, not really fair to the guy that spent hours/days designing the bracket in the first place. :mad:

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Do you believe that the guy who did the work should not get the rewards for his ingenuity and labor?

You can't expect people to supply parts if every time they introduce one a customer traces it and lets everybody have a copy.

4. rjgideon

rjgideon

The bracket is only half of the kit that you want. What are you going to do for bearings? I went with Scarebird, it was a good investment.

5. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

I'm not looking to "do anybody in" and yes, I feel that those that come up with the idea shoudl get a fair shake. I didn't say that I wasn't going to pay someone for there help now did I? I asked for someone that was willing to help. I'm waiting on some information from scarebird as we speak.

6. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Make your own pattern.

7. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

I would try to make my own, but I'm not that good and I know my limitations. I could do everything after I was able to get the proper fit and all.

8. You didn't say you WERE willing to pay someone for the "help" when you started this post but thanks for backpeddling its fun to read.

People "that good" (like scarebird) get paid for the time and effort it takes for "proper fit and all".

That would be the reason you pay for their design, so you could do "everything" else.

Waiting on your disk brake bracket order?

9. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

are you waiting as "scarebird" for my order, or are you just asking me a question? No, you are right, I didn't make myself clear in the beginning...but come on now, if you are married you understand exactly how much backpedaling a man does in his lifetime. I have a saying that I give my wife at times like this...
    If what I said came out wrong and pissed you off; then I meant it the other way.

10. Nash, many guys on here (including myself) design and make brakets/parts for a living. We aren't fond of those that feel that stealing our designs is just copying. What is the difference between that and just copying a book or movie?

We have hours on top of hours designing parts that work and fit so that the general public can use them with no effort. You might think it isn't stealing, but it is, it is stealing our time and ideas.

I didn't design the bracket in question, but like most artists will stand up for copyrights of other artists, designers and engineers here will do the same thing.

11. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

Ok, so obviously I pissed off a few and offended every body else. I guess that I didn't think too much about that part and how it must have sounded. I was honestly trying to come out "cheaper". I apologize to those of you that fabricate and design. I am greatful for all of your input to the art and to the hobby of building. Once again, I am sorry.

12. blt2go

blt2go

so according to you if i build a part somebody else may have designed or be in the business of building, i'm stealing from them. how many people copy henry's fenders or doors or qtr. panels and how many are willing to share measurements to do so on here? it may suck to be on the end selling the part or designing it, but if the man can come up with the tips he needs to get it built cheaper, doesn't that fall under "free enterprise"?

13. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

You need to make your own template, and cut the parts out yourself...and figure out all the necessary steps to complete the upgrade. Then, and only then, will people have respect for what you have done. Tracing someone elses parts and copying a design is a no-no.

14. Yep. If they are still making the parts, you are stealing. Tell you what, build a Cobra body and call it such. The guy that comes to your door will explain it to you.

He wasn't asking "anyone have the measurements of the bolts on my spindle?" He was asking for a TRACING of somebody's hard work. You DON'T think that is stealing? What about taking the HAMB logo and using it for your own? Stealing or not?

15. Curious, what do you think about all these offshore companies taking direct molds off of Edelbrocks designs and selling them? Stealing or not? Edelbrock has to design them, test them, fix any flaws, spend countless bucks on R&D, and his prices are higher because he has the costs involved. Then, some Chinese company gets one of his manifolds, casts a direct mold (after all, its been tested, right?) and sells it for 1/2 the cost? Free enterprise still?

So, then after enough money is lost, the guy that has the money involved for R&D closes its doors because it can't compete. Is the pattern stealing theif now going to step up and make future designs? :rolleyes:

16. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I ordered my kit from Olddaddy to put on my 37 Plymouth. He mistakenly sent me the later model kit. The thought did go through my head "I can copy the bracket and along with the correct one I was yet to receive I could cover many years and make some extra $". About a second later I smacked myself in the back of the head knowing it wasn't the stand up thing to do.

Pay the $ for a real kit from one of these guys. Olddaddy was great to deal with and made a pretty good kit. He offered it without all the off the shelf parts which allowed me to save some $.

17. noboD

noboD

Prewar, you forgot the part of how the real designer gets a bad reputation when the knockoff fails and people think it's the real thing. I make a non HAMB friendly part that was copied and didn't fit like mine. It looks almost like mine and the bastard even used a pic of mine in their advertisment on the internet. Design your own part or buy the one that works.

18. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Its called R&D, ripoff & duplicate

19. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The "very cheaply" part scares me... And what material is he going to cut them out of? What if they're not flat when he's done? Regardless of how good the water jet/ laser cut is, there's going to be some machining required to complete them. Do they need a centre register hole machined, like an early Ford spindle? Do you have dimensions for mounting and caliper holes, do they need a window machined for a floating caliper? Are the brackets flat or do they have an offset? How would you form an offset?

Brakes are not the place for a cobble job. Do yourself and your loved ones a favour and buy the kit.

Oh, and +1 on the "ripoff and duplicate".

20. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

OK LISTEN........for those you that feel that you need to "get your digs in"....don't freakin bother. I made a mistake, I have learned, I have received the information needed, I understand the frustrations that my statement created. GET OVER YOURSELVES and finish complaining about me to your gub'ment hatin friends at the greasy spoon. For those of you that have given constructive criticism and information...thank you very much. you all are correct...the brakes are not something to goof off on and after reviewing some of the posts on here and seeing that it's not as costly as I first imagined, I will be ordering the kit (from the proper fabricator and giving him the credit for his craftsmanship). When I come back on here asking for information and advice as to properly install....I don't want no freakin crap! I did learn today what "R&D" meant. I've seen that before and had no idea.

21. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

BTW....I tried to search for Old Daddy and couldn't find that information anywhere. What's the webpage

22. blt2go

blt2go

"Yep. If they are still making the parts, you are stealing. Tell you what, build a Cobra body and call it such. The guy that comes to your door will explain it to you"
    above posted by prewarcars4me

he didn't say he was going to call his brake set up scarebird brakes did he? i've seen plenty of scratch built cars called "model t, model a, and '32 ford"

also by prewarcars4me "Curious, what do you think about all these offshore companies taking direct molds off of Edelbrocks designs and selling them? Stealing or not? Edelbrock has to design them, test them, fix any flaws, spend countless bucks on R&D, and his prices are higher because he has the costs involved. Then, some Chinese company gets one of his manifolds, casts a direct mold (after all, its been tested, right?) and sells it for 1/2 the cost? Free enterprise still?"

actually yes, sad but true or it wouldn't be happening. we just had a thread about how to build your own sand cast not too long ago. where were you and your soapbox then? i understand copyright infringment and all of that but you can't tell me 1 person can come up with the only way to do something, and has rights to any and all ways if someone else comes up with the same solution. he has gotten what he needed with this and i am happy he actually got something from asking a question on here. no doubt, it was pm'd to him by someone that wasn't in the mood for a bunch of b.s.

it happens all the time. does it suck? yes. is there a damn thing you can do about it? no.

23. "we just had a thread about how to build your own sand cast not too long ago. where were you and your soapbox then?"

I sandcast my own designed parts all the time, your point? I think places like Vintage Speed are wrong casting what they do and I refuse to buy any of thier crap. If they designed it themselves, fine, but they didn't.

Funny how you are the ONLY one chiming in thinking it is right. Even the OP sees it now. :rolleyes:

24. blt2go

blt2go

i'm not defending the practice, just clarifying that he will not be tracked down like a dog and shot if he gets his wish. i think you know my point all too well. it happens, it sucks for some. but don't belittle someone because they are doing something you don't agree with. either give the info asked for or move on. i'm only on this thread because somebody decided to give an opinion about the question and not an answer. so i decided to give my opinion. as i stated many times, does it suck? yes. can we stop it? not likely. i also build and design my own parts. do my panties get in a wad when i see an exact copy? no. it just tells me i got it right and reminds me i didn't have the funds to mass produce. suck? yes. illegal? no.

25. Thieves spend a lot of time/energy justifying their motives while doing the right thing seldom needs to be explained away.

26. Seems so.

27. blt2go

blt2go

28. On top of that, it's stupid for me to be the chump who pays retail for something, and loan it out for someone else to duplicate.

Oh, yeah, and when I sold things, I had guys call me up and email fishing for advice on how to build what I was selling. Do we have an emoticon giving the finger? 'Cause that's how I felt.

-Bill

29. LMAO, have you been eavsdropping around here? We deal with the same thing.

"Excuse me, but can I get a complete parts list and maybe even a printed copy of that pattern so I can make sure it will fit? I'm thinking of buying yours."

:rolleyes:

30. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Um,,UUhh ,,whats going on here ?? What about all the how to Tech threads that people share on here.. or the how to make your own and save $$..:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Many have copied things ( made there own ) instead of buying,,and this site alone is littered with Templates..

If the guy was asking for tracing so he could make a bunch of parts and sell em thats one thing. but to help him with something for his own car ,,I fail to see all the bitching here.