Register now to get rid of these ads!

318 marine wide block value?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratmotor, May 20, 2010.

1. I see some one has dropped off a pair of 318 marine wide blocks at my buddy's junkyard. The engine mounts look like they would work great to mount a Mopar block into a rod. They have standard flywheels,dists and pulleys etc. Any value to the stuff or should I just leave the stuff there? I remember the previous owner had them listed for sale at $400.00 each in the local buy and sell. Guess nobody bit........

2. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Scrap x 10% ? Cool motors not many people use.

3. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

318 poly's are heavy and slow revving. But they make great torque, look cool as hell, and will damn near run forever if you keep the oil changed.

If your buddy is only in it for scrap, I'd offer what they weigh. If he's in it for salvage, I'd offer $250-300 for the pair depending on the condition.

They are getting harder and harder to find. It would be a shame to let them be lost forever if they are in good shape.

4. Squablow

Squablow

If they run they should be worth $200 apiece, but as core rebuilders they don't really have any value beyond scrap. If they have 4 barrel intakes the intakes alone will go for $150-$200. Those are desirable.

5. They are both 4 barrel intakes but since they are marine will the intakes work on a street car? How about the flywheels? The dists have no vacuum advances so I doubt they would work on the street. I could have them for nada I would think....

6. Squablow

Squablow

If the intakes still have the water passage down the center I would think they'd be the same. I can't believe the engines were air cooled or anything like that. If those intakes are some marine-only aluminum jobs they could be worth some pretty good coin, I'd like one of those if they exist.

If it were up to me, I'd grab the intakes and I'd scrap the rest. You might sit on the engines for years trying to find a home for them for $100 or $200 each but those intakes would sell real easy and it would be a shame to lose those.

If they have different valve covers, those would be worth grabbing too, anything that isn't a stock Mopar valve cover would be desirable since there aren't many options out there.

7. Abomination

Abomination

I think you're askin' the wrong fellers...

Try here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/318poly/

That's where your buyers are. And dude's right - a lot of 'em have been scrapped years ago, and still are. There's fewer and fewer of them around.

~Jason

8. daliant

daliant

The 4bbl intakes go for some coin, the flywheels are a goofy size, they dont fit the automotive bellhousings, the distributors wont be that great for street use with no vacuum advance plus since there are a pair of em one spins backwards. The water cooled exhaust manifolds would look cool on an open fendered rod.

9. Snag em and put them on the "pay it forward" thread. (if you've got stroage room, that is) Hey, if they're a counter-rotating pair, how about a twin-engine FED HAMB dragster...?

10. Just got off the phone. The engines are mine if I want them. I don't think the valve covers were the poly design. The valve covers say Fury 210. Intakes are cast iron.I think I will just take the parts I can sell and leave my buddy the rest.

11. If it's a pre-66 (wide block as you put it) Fury 210hp 318, then it is a Poly motor. There are several sites that Googled out pics of the engine as you described it.

12. Squablow

Squablow

I'd like to see what the marine valve covers look like. Anyone got a picture of one of these engines?

13. Abomination

Abomination

Here's some pics of the Chrysler M80 in action.

I know how much all the stuff sells for, what to take, what to leave, and where to sell. If you're interested, feel free to PM me.

~Jason

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Abomination

Abomination

There's a lot of folks that would like the intake and exhaust manifolds. Many others that would like the exhaust.

Like $400 for the intake plus, and about the same for the exhaust. No shit.

Are these pre-'62 (has a bellhousing/flywheel like an early Hemi) or post-'62 (has the same bell as a '67+ LA small block mopar)?

FYI, the marine motors have way less wear on 'em than a regular automotive block. ;)

Here's a buyer for your intake: http://www.oldmarineengine.com/discus/messages/2/137374.html

~Jason

15. Abomination

Abomination

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0t2QNEmTF7s&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0t2QNEmTF7s&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

16. George

George

Another Q is..were they most likely used in fresh or salt water?

17. Fresh water. If I didn't have a 65 Plymouth sitting on my trailer right now I'd go get them. Sounds like I should bring them both home! Heading to a Rob Zombie/Alice Cooper concert tonight so I might not get them until Sunday...Thanks for all of the info!