Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Ever had to raise up your sled? (It sucks)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, Dec 2, 2009.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd be ok with the front going up in the air, because I'll be closer to the nostalgia
    style. Hopefully that make sense. The back has to stay a lot lower then the
    front. I gotta keep that taildragger look.

Happy Trails,

Mick

2. joel torres

joel torres

with airshocks is it possible to just add a small tank and two air valves to let air in and out of the shocks small gauge to keep an eye on pressure like an airbag system
    but very simple

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It looks like I am going to raise my 55 sunliner back up as I am tired of the front tires rubbing and need to get rid of the bump steer too,its also a pain to get it up in the air to service so its coming back up but not stock height.

4. skwurl

skwurl

That car is super bad either way. I wouldn't seat it.

5. lorodz

lorodz

still looks very good...

6. Mercchev

Mercchev

Did a rear airshock setup just like this on the Merc: compressor, two air valves, small gauge under the dash and a separate air valve under the bumper in case I had a leak. Adjustable to a point...High enough to get over potholes in Detroit and high curbs everywhere else, low enough to look cool cruising and parked. Still use two jacks to get under the car to change a flat, though. Learned that the hard way at Paso with my buddy's car that developed a leak in the soft airline, and it was laying on the ground. Good thing we had three guys to lift the car up to get a jack underneath it.

7. Old F.A.R.T.

Old F.A.R.T.

Hey Paul...if you get the job in Salina look me up...I'm a mechanic for the city fire department...Later...Glenn

8. historynw

historynw

Is it possible to high center a sled? Where I live some public places had dips into them from the state highway. I think mostly because the road repaving and improvements were done long after the entranceway. I've seen some stuck RV & Bus's.

9. grease and ink garage

grease and ink garage

jack it up under the chass then an other jack between dif and chass to bring the axel down !!
    then i can chance the wheel ! ( only with a flat tire ! )
    put my spare on , also with a flat tire and pump it with a small comp !!
    :D:D

10. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

We do just fine in the 59 around here. We dragged everything they had in Denton, dragged the gas tank twice. That doesn't happen up here. The roads may be crap but we know how to build an entrance or exit....

I'm putting casters on the back and a skid plate on the tank this winter.....

We narrowing that rear this winter Mickey?

11. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got under the rearend of my Merc and removed everything that it was rubbing on
    and I think tht I have plenty of room so we will not have to worry about narrowing
    the rear end. Really appreciate my Tulsa friends willing to help me out. The problem
    may be solved ......

Happy Trails,

Mick

12. A.P. Photography

A.P. Photography

That is a badass Merc. Love everything about it.

13. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

StrayKat, Your car sets great!!!! Can you run bias tires on front and radials on back? I run air bags cant see any of the tire on the back.

14. Looks just like mine! Mine started rubbing when I lowered the back more. I don't have bags either.I got me some wheels with 1" more back spacing. Haven't put them on yet...

[​IMG]

15. Flamingo_57

Flamingo_57
    BANNED
    from Rolla mo.

I raised my car back up to stock height (the horror) because the road that i live on is rougher than what a lot of people would take a 4x4 on. My daily (94 mark viii) cant even make it up the hill because the road is so shitty, but i have to take my '57 up it all the time. (it's actually pretty amazing how much better bias ply wide whites can handle rough terrain than moder radials can.)

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this whole laying frame thing needs to be left for the minitruckers. I've never heard anyone say the Sam Barris Merc needs to drag more parts on the ground.

I plan on lowering my car til it hurts, then raise it an inch or two.

17. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

im conflicted. one part of me loves a car that can lay frame but the other part wants to see cars sit as they are driven. that way you can visually separate the ones who are faint hearted.

guess those days are gone!

18. Rikster

Rikster

YEAH....

I just have to repeat this in Bold letters...!!!

PASSE!!! for laying frame... spread the word please!

"This whole laying frame thing needs to be left for the minitruckers."

19. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I'll Amen that.Some cars just look broken to me.But then again I'm just a fuckin' weirdo who never 'gets it',whatever 'it' is.I dig Kustoms big time,but I definately can't get my head around this 'in the weeds' look:confused:
    Paul

20. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

That is one awesome Merc! The paint is perfect. Hope to see it in Salina.

21. 63Compact

63Compact

Bags are for groceries!!!!!

22. autobilly

autobilly

IMO, good taste means all mods done with restraint and balance in mind. This obviously also includes the very important stance and ride/park height. Of course it must be remembered that a car's gotta be drivable!

23. teddyp

teddyp

drove my ford slamed on the ground for the last 20 years no bags no air shocks but last year i had to put air shocks in it needed to take more then 2 people in it 2 times last year and i botten out all the way to pa. and back they same happen at lead east the caps on my lale pipe are now flat:D

Attached Files:

24. Laying frame is for customs not Kustoms.If you consider yourself a kustom guy and you think these cars should "LayFrame"....... then you flat just dont GET IT!!!! Put a for sale sign on it and move on.

25. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Sounds like the roads by my place. I don't like lowered cars, might be because I grew up around jacked up 4x4s but I always look for a way to raise them up instead of lowering them down.

26. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

Mick,

It was great getting to see you again at Pete&Jakes, to bad the weather didnt cooperate. I think the Merc looks great, forget about the airbags, guys with airbags are only kool 50% of the time(when their parked) your Merc is KOOL all the time.

Later Jerrod

27. Thats good !!!! Cool half the time !!!! :D So true.

28. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drove it like this everyday....Scrapes a little, but nothing to freak out over...

[​IMG]

-Abone.

29. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Dude, I kan't wait for Salina.... Looking forward to meeting ya, I'll be over at the
    HAMB Merc Gathering section.

Hey Jeff your sled sits purrfectly, I love the slight taildragger rake. I don't know what
    happen under my car but something had shiffted to cause it all of the sudden to rub.
    I removed some of the fender well and made a new patch panel, it seemed to fix it.

I like driving it as low as possible and still be able to drive it. If its not scraping every
    now and then, then it isn't low enough....

Renee was asking if I was going with anyone up to Pete and Jakes. I said no, I'll run into somebody up there. I hated that it rained but still a lot of kool people show up... Thanks
    for letting me hang out with ya guys. I love Jakes Coupe.

That is why I added 53 Caddy Bumpers they make a kool scrape sound...LOL!! Your Merc is bad ass kool, I love the sinister look.

Happy Trails,

Mick

Last edited: May 17, 2010