Register now to get rid of these ads!

Get ready, King Of Trucks is coming...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Oct 1, 2009.

1. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Well I have been subscribed to this thread for quite some time now. I guess I should throw up my comments.
    I love that you are paying homage to a traditional build, that was your fathers. (Your dad had a sick truck)
    I like that you are using traditional parts, every time I check this thread I see some super cool part that you are working on. The McGurk intake is ultra badass!!

Someday, I hope to build the Prime Minister of Pickups!

2. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Oh Damn.... "Prime Minister" that's perfect... I need to come up with something clever.... Think think think.

Dude, Terd... I didn't realize that the truck in the beginning was your Dad's? Wow. Neato.

Till next time,

Robert M.

3. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks a bunch! Encouraging words mean a lot. Sometimes it gets hard for whatever reason and that helps.

How bout Czar Of Trucks? :D My dad's truck was pretty cool. He's excited about mine. Every time I talk to him, he's always asking about it. Him and mom are back from RVing and we're going to do some stuff together. That'll be awesome.

4. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Long time no see bud!I am so glad to see the old pick em up coming along.If yall plan on coming to Dixie Fried this year holla so we can get together. .I got my eye on a 59 big window I found less than a mile from my house.I regret getting rid of that one.I am sure glad to see it be built rather than sitting .Keep diggin it will be worth it!

5. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Ed,

I know the feelings of regret, but I sure am glad you got rid of it! Everything I do is heartaches, but in the end it's always worth the trouble. :D Dixie is for sure in the cards this year.

I drove to a hot rod breakfast meet and then a small local show yesterday. Afterwards, I got some work done on the exhaust this weekend. With the help of my buddy Delton, we got it to behind the cab til we ran out of tubing. I'm using 1 3/4" aluminized for all the stuff under the truck. I used a cheap Harbor Freight tubing bender to make the turns. It worked out ok. One pipe was easy and the other was a real bitch. So 1/2 headaches is better than my usual track record of ALL headaches! :D

The second pipe will have to be fixed a little. I need to section a couple of inches from the vertical part right off the Fentons to bring it up a couple of inches. It's hanging just a little low. I also need to cut out and replace a bend that was not quite the right angle for it to be perfect.

It was one of those things where we had already been working for hours, the wife had called three times wondering when I'm coming back, it was hotter than hell, lunch time turned into way after supper time, etc... :D But I'm plenty happy for now. It already sounds better. The loudness has been moved from right in front of my face with the dump tubes to behind me which makes for a quieter cab and there is more seperation in the exhaust note.

I need to pick up some more aluminized tube to get it to the steps and that part will be history. Then on to the belly burner portion. I couldn't have done it without the help of my friends. A big thanks to Deltron The Magnificent, Lazer Kinny, P.R. Petey, and Germany! It sure is nice to have an extra set of hands or two. You guys RULE!!!

Pics and more exhaust updates very soon!

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  6. Shawn M

Shawn M

Hate I missed the after car show festivities, I could have at least provided moral support.

I hope those plants you bought kept you out of the doghouse!

Glad to hear progress was made, keep chipping away, you'll be there in no time!

7. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Shawn, we needed all the support we could get! The little lady didn't care that it took so long. Just that whenever she called, I kept telling her 30 more minutes. It was more like 5 more hours. Whoops. :D

I'm going to get some more tubing tomorrow. I'll get enough aluminized to get it to the bed steps. I'm gonna get store bought 90*s for the step parts and weld them in. The bender at the shop got me where I needed to go in the front, but it can't really make a clean tight 90* to go out and up to the steps.

It sounds better already. I played with the carb for a while, it needed to be leaned out just a little. It runs as good as ever. Wish I was working as fast as that SYNDICATE guy on here, I'd be done by now! :D

8. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

And where's those pics of Jeffy in that jacket?

9. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

It's gonna be sweet with the pipes coming thru the steps. Are you going to run down the bed sides like that pic way back in the thread?

10. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Why yes, yes I am. Like I was saying before, I wish I had your speed and skills. I'd be lowered and have shiny paint by now. :D Can't wait to see yours back on wheels and tires!

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah where are those pics of Jeffy Cakes in the Jacket? That's awesome Terd that you got all that shit done Saturday. Fucking killer man!!!!

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hear Ye Hear Ye, tis the baddest sounding 4x4 in all of the land!!!!

13. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

That's super cool... As we say out here KILLAH!

This weekend was a barn burner for sure on mine... Yikes. Damn near caught on fire! :)

I'm pretty sure I'll be back on the tires by Friday!

Attached Files:

• 611.gif
      611.gif
      File size:
      6.6 KB
      Views:
  14. Shawn M

Shawn M

On the way my friend, it's a little blurry, but it gets the point across:D

15. No Slack from Jeffrey!!
    Terd, been following your thread for a while and lovin the mods your doin so far...keep up the badass work!! I would put your order in with Sid ASAP for the front drop axle if thats the route you are going to go to drop that thing...
    I ordered mine around March 5th and it just got here today, well worth the wait as I'm sure others can tell you! The 51 is fixin to be ohh so low!! Off to the garage to wrestle the beast!

16. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

I must say that SID gets a huge thumbs up from me as well... I ordered that 3 piece drag link from him and it slipped right in and worked perfect!

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh no!!!!!! I think we had just talked him into flipping the axle on top of the springs and now all this praise from towards Sids might throw his choice in a blender!!!! Hahaha!!!! Let do both! A temporary solution (which looks perfect by the way) and later do the Drop Axle.

Going to Winston Salem Terd with the King of Trucks this Friday??? Can't wait to hear it Wednesday dude.

18. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

I didn't quite catch this until now... Pretty Damn funny.... Classic. Drop That SumBitch!!!

19. Shawn M

Shawn M

If it's not lowered next time I see it, I'm flattening the tires!

20. hotdamn

hotdamn

damn shawn you keepin it real holmes!!!

and terd it was no prob hommie glad I could help:D

when I get done with school for the summer lets put it in the dirt!

21. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

Hey Terd

long time looks like it's going good

My brother just got a 55 and I got to drive it home for him. I haven't been in one since I piled mine into a bridge when I was 18...It brought back good memories though
    Here it is
    [​IMG]

22. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

It is exciting, but not without issues (as is most stuff I do on the truck, lol.).

That was uncalled for. :D

Rob,

Can't wait to see it. It looks like it'll be LOOOOW. Keep up the good work, you're an inspiration!

Ooooo, goody goody! :D

Thanks for the tips and the kind words.

I am going to end up going with Sid's axle. I want it lower than Franke. No compromises! And it sounds 100 times better now, more seperation in the exhaust note. It'll sound even better as the exhaust gets longer!

Wow, hardcore. :D

You're my hero! Seriously, thanks a ton! And that guy sent me a PM about that offy triple intake, the first guy backed out and I'm next! :D

Hey torch, thanks! You need another one. I'm sure driving your brothers started the wheels turning...

23. DingDang

DingDang

Thanks so much for this thread Terd Ferguson aka Burt Reynolds. I aquired a 59 Apache 3100 a few months ago and I have been following your thread as I rebuild mine. I've got it running and stopping pretty well and now it's time to tackle the exhaust. I can't wait to see pictures and hear some sounds to steer me in the right dirrection. If you are ever out in Ft. Worth, your beer is on me.

24. Shawn M

Shawn M

Ahhh, not to hardcore my friend, you'll net a good 4 inch drop with flat tires, not much more than that!

25. hotdamn

hotdamn

terd seriously...

you score a bad ass intake and I find out about it on the hamb!

call me! I know you got dem digits!

26. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

I gotta get my driver finished. have the parts just fit and finish. it's together ready to blow apart for paint and rebuild a few things

[​IMG]

It's not a hotrod but it was expensive. I prolly have 9k in it at this stage some of that depreciated when I parted the original project for this one. It started as a 77 f150 standard cab full time 4x4. the body wasn't too bad. I swapped the 400m out for a 77 460 that I had blueprinted, new tranny, all new electrics, hoses,brakes. the only things that didn't get remanufactured were the punmpkins and the transfer case but those started to wear out quickly under the new 460. It's as quick as a 73 400 grand prix I had till I stretched and spun the t-case chain.
    I had to make an emergency stop on the half mile trip from the lumberyard home and out a pallet of shingles into the back of the cab...so much for that one...
    I found this body. It's a 76 f250 2 wheel drive. I put the 4x4 suspension in it and all my 10,000 mile new parts in it. I also picked up a reman manual 4speed and gear drive t-case with 400 miles on a rebuild for it and am presently junking out an f100 chassis with tight 3:50 gears and lockouts.
    My 460 is basically stock except for a Lunati 4,000 rpm 4x4 cam and Kieth Black flat-tops for 10.75:1 compression.
    It was getting 8mpg towing and 9-11 highway when it was fulltime. I'm hoping my mods will win a pinch more mileage out of the old girl.
    I'm running stock manifolds with 2.5" primaries to a flowmaster Y collector and single 3" flowmaster to the rear. It idles just like a schoolbus and sounds like a mustang HO when you open it up.
    I've had leaf sprung front 4x4's and the ford f150 setup is better and even better than their 2x rides and steers. awesome on the highway

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  27. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks for the kind words! If you've got a six in it, you gotta split it. The sound is so nice! I'll get another video clip up soon of mine.

Thanks for not flattening my tires last night!

Next time I get something at 2 in the morning, I'll be sure to call!:D

torch, the truck is cool, but I like what's on the trailer better!

28. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

rust free...I sold it...2cheep, It's a 77 put a rough 70 nose on it and put in an old 264 or something chevy fuel pincher in just to get it running. I Threw in an 81 t-top TA that had a sprung unibody. I took the wheels, steering box, the 4 wheel disks and the t-10 4 speed out of the 81. the ws6 swaybars were damaged(boo) and put it all in my 71 with Hotchkiss suspension front and rear.
    I had to consolidate...3 birds...1 storage unit full of parts...but not enough to make 1 good out of the three if I kept all three.
    I kept the pre emission classic and let the other stuff go for a grand. I swore I was done buying projects. that lasted about a year.
    here's the 71. other than the wheel lips it's rust free. have a 454 in it and plan on getting a 400 pontiac back in eventually. Might go gold again how about copper like the copperhead? or maybe midnight blue or forest green metallic. the interior is saddle tan.
    The wheels annoy me... I want a set of factory steel ralley wheels or black circle track steels 15x8
    [​IMG]

I sold the 4x4 van and wrecked the trailer :mad:

[​IMG]

this is my gasser project

[​IMG]
    I went bankrupt and sold my semi in Oct 88. I've been working about 6 months of the year and applying for jobs the other six since then...
    Wells fargo hasn't got my house yet :D

Been driving this $3000 ElCajon truck

[​IMG]

Pulled the 9" out of this no title cougar for the buick gasser and sold it off
    [​IMG]

This is an old racer from Wisconsin I had to let go

[​IMG]

got this rust free 62 for $500 without a title

[​IMG]

and here is my little helper. I do own a flathead :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

I had like 20 projects all cheepies but am down to just a few, It's alot of junk...too much to keep after, a burdon not fun anymore. the more I cleanout the more fun I'm having.
    I figgured I spent about 100-150 a month on cars total including my driver over the last 10 years...not too bad. My buddy sold his acerage and I have to keep what I got at home, no more parts farm.

29. Terd...is the king of trucks coming to Winston for the Camel City Shakedown Friday night? I want to check out that sweet exhaust you got goin on!
    See ya there!

30. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

Your sweet truck takes me way back terd, I'm envious, big time

[​IMG]