Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Gene Winfield Repaints Maybellene

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carguy1965, May 2, 2010.

1. Carguy1965

Carguy1965
    from Illinois

Last week, Gene took a trip to Northern Illinois to repaint his beloved Maybellene for owner Larry T.

You may have heard that Maybellene was to be sold at the Russo & Steele auction in Scottsdale, AZ but was damaged when the tent she was in was partially blown down during a storm. Due to the damage, Larry decided not to sell and brought her back to Illinois.

Soon the damage was repaired and Gene was called in to work his magic.

I had the opportunity to stop by the shop while Gene was in town and got to watch first hand as he laid on the colors and pearl.

It is amazing to watch him work! I felt priviledged to be there and witness the rebirth of Maybellene.

Attached are a few shots of some of the early coats. Thanks to Gene and Larry for letting me stop by. The last shot is the proud owner with the great painter.

Attached Files:

2. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

3. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Hey, did Larry used to own Tweedy Pie?

4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Gene is a true master and a great guy as well. Awesome to see the car back to glory

5. twochops

twochops

Some more paint booth shots.
    TwoChops

Attached Files:

6. sledish

sledish

A true master.

7. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

They don't get any better than Gene, as a profesional and and a person!
    The years just seem to be numbers to him, he's ageless!

8. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Awesome to see pics of the Master lay down one of his 'signature' fade jobs!
    And, to see him at 80+ scootin' along the floor on a creeper...I know 30 year olds that can't do that!

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  9. Thats kinda like watching michelangelo paint the sistine chapel

10. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

WOW. Thanks for sharing. That is 100% BAD ASS. Gene Winfield.

11. car looks great as always.i was wondering how well the RS people handled the claims and how long it took for them to make it right

12. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

13. SKRTCHSR

SKRTCHSR
    from Cincinnati

I pray to the Gods above that I will be able to lay on the garage floor and be able to get up after!

14. Ohlly

Ohlly

I was lucky to be there when the clear was going on the car. I was also happy to lend some intercoat clear the day before to save a trip to the paint store. Gene is a helova nice guy & I was glad to see "The Man" in action.:D

15. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

True master of the art.Thanks for the pics

16. In 1962 I painted a '61 Cadillac. It was a dealership car,an ugly green.I did the repaint a nice silver gray metalic.The car sold and I never thought much about it. A year or so later I saw it again,on a ramp at a used car lot.From inside my car,I could now see the underside of the reverse fin that runs along the side. It was still that ugly green!! You can't see it until you lay down like Gene is doing in the pictures. Bud

17. It's hard to believe I have been reading about him and his cars for so many years. The man is a true master of his craft. Great to see him doing so well.

18. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Thanks for sharing that!

19. brewsir

brewsir

did they fix the door where the huge chunk of bondo fell off...or did they just fill the deep gouge like Winfield did?? No doubt the man is an amazing painter (and apparrently a hell of a sculpter too!) and gets my respect for a lot of the cars he has done...damn nice fella too....but when I saw the damage pics from the tent pole I was a little disappointed...that bondo looked to be an easy 3/8" thick on a spot on the door that wouldn't be that hard to fix right.

20. Brickster

Brickster

:)

21. Damn, that youngster makes me feel old at 42. Had the privalege to spend some time with the master awhile back. He IS the real deal.

22. 53210

BANNED
    from canada

Iconic car,cool pix.

23. THE SHOP

THE SHOP

Sounds like a lot of bondo! I can dig a skim coat, but 3/8" thick, makes him sound like "The Bondo Bandit". That sucks! Now every time I see one of his nice builds or paint jobs, I'll just think about how much bondo must be under that paint. lol

24. Mercchev

Mercchev

Gene is a great guy and a master. Proud to know him. We manned his booth for him at the Fresno Autorama a couple of years back, when he had to go out of town. Setting up, he was moving around easier than most 25 year olds. Kept me and Rich hopping the whole time. I'd love to have him paint my car.

25. WOW......That's thick....

26. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

LOL thats all some of you can think about the bad stuff. Damn cool car great job:D

27. THE SHOP

THE SHOP

I think the cars bitchin no doubt! Like they say, It takes a lot of good deeds to build agood rep, and 1 small thing to ruin it. I don't think this applies to him though. He's got a good rep regardless of what people think. THAT IS A LOT OF BONDO THOUGH! lol

28. Dustmite Dragster

Dustmite Dragster

If you guy ever get a chance to watch Gene work, its worth your time! We had a metalworking seminar with him at my Work, I learned more in those two days than i could absorb in a few years of school!

29. kustomkat

kustomkat

Great to see the master in his element. Not trying to start a shit storm, but the post was just pictures of Gene painting a car, not a body work seminar. It is easy to Monday morning quarterback somebody's work, and I do agree the mud is pretty thick. But lets keep things in perspective here...