Register now to get rid of these ads!

New member and new Rambler barn fresh!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris VCR, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Chris VCR

Chris VCR

Great info, thanks!

2. farna

farna

I'm impressed that the plastic side pieces in the back are in one piece! The car was obviously garage kept most of the time -- those things usually crumble.

3. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Really cool wagon! Welcome to the HAMB.

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Not to alarm you but there was a recent thread about the dangers of mouse feces. It's very dangerous stuff, not to be messed with or you could be in serious trouble health wise. Be sure to wear a mask when dealing with it and if you start to feel sick in the next couple of days get to the emergency room pronto.
    On a brighter note you've got yourself a neat little wagon that should be a lot of fun. I've always thought it would be great to build a sleeper out of one and install a 406 SBC/4 speed/narrowed 12 bolt (or 9") rear in one and go Mustang hunting. Keep us posted on the progress and don't forget about the mouse shit.:(

Frank

5. jonspinup

jonspinup

I'm in love with your Rambler! I NEED ONE!!!!! I've been on the prowl for a Willys Flat fender but I think that will have to wait! MUST FIND RAMBLER!!!

6. farna

farna

Finding a 61-63 Rambler American isn't that hard, and they usually go rather cheap in pretty good condition. Finding one in New Hampshire not all rusted out might be though. They were pretty popular in the New England states, especially around Massachusetts, so you should be able to find a decent one. From what I've seen of northern cars, I'd travel a bit to get one with less rust. If you're serious about getting one pop me a PM with your e-mail address, I have some contacts up that way.

The only outward difference between 61-63 models is the grille insert -- 61 has a square mesh screen, 62 "floating" horizontal bars, 63 "floating" vertical bars. All the grilles interchange, so it's rather common to substitute one for another. All have the thick trapezoid surround, the 62-63 "floating" grilles have small bars painted black holding an inner trapezoid with the bars, making it appear to "float" inside the big outer trapezoid.

The best way to tell the year is to look at the model number on the latch edge of the driver's door. The model number will be 6Y0B-T. "Y" is the last number of the year (1/2/3), "B" is the body type (won't go into that!), and "-T" is the trim level (3/5/7). If there is no "-T" then it's a base model, or if it's -0 (used on later models). The bigger the number the higher the trim level. IIRC 7 is always a convertible. Of course if the door has been changed the tag might not have been transferred. In that case the year can be derived from the serial number (VIN -- but it's short since it's pre-VIN). See www.amcyclopedia.org if you need to know more.

All 61s have the inner door handles and window cranks held on the old fashion way -- with a rubber grommet and pin. 62-63 use hairpin clips like more modern cars. That's a clue for year too!

7. jonspinup

jonspinup

WOW! Thanks for the info Frank! I am serious about finding one so I'll shoot you a message, any help is appreciated. I did do a search on Craigslist (which has its ups and downs) and found 1 in pretty decent shape in MA. You are right though, finding something close by means it more than likely comes with rust (and yes I know I said I have a weak spot for rust) but the bad rust that comes from all the salt up here. That means more resto and less fun right away. I guess my new tag line should read "Will travel for non-rusty rambler"

Thanks for the info and if I find anything I'll let you guys know. And I'm sure I'll be back for more tips and tricks :)
    ~gabby

8. Ebert

Ebert

I really dig these cars...congrats on a great find!

9. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    from Wisconsin

I've got to say I'm pretty jealous of your wagon. That looks like it's new compared to the ones I see up here in the rust belt :). Enjoy.

10. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Surfs Up. KILLER! Slim

11. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

cool car! its in great shape. is that the 196 inline 6? those are great motors. id prefer them over the v8's in a rambler based on my experience

12. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Found these shots from last year at Coney Island.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. freebird101

freebird101

looking awesome, I've always loved ramblers

14. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Very nice Rambler, Welcome to the HAMB!

15. Chris VCR

Chris VCR

Great to see some more Rambler pics, thanks!

16. Chris VCR

Chris VCR

Some new progress pics. I swear the more I clean the dirtier it gets. Not that bad I suppose but making progress....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. I really like your little car! I like wagons, and I like things that aren't common. I went to California a couple months ago and I saw these two cars. I could have had the white'ish one for $300! It was in Lake Elsnore. Man....I had ideas running in my head. The Red and Silver one was at the San Diego Big 3 swap meet.

COOL!

Attached Files:

18. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

thats gonna be awesome! nice!

19. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

As easy as it is to remove the front seat you might consider pulling the capet to clean it easier. That would help with the smell and be able to clean under the carpet also. Those pesky varmits smells are hell on your nose and probably your health. Looking good!!!

20. Chris VCR

Chris VCR

Agreed. I started that yesterday. Got the carpet and underlayment out of the back seat area and next is the front. I am going to start over with new carpet, the old is just way to old and unsanitary :eek: At least this way I am starting with a clean slate and without the carpet in, I'm really able to get in and scrub. I can then seal the plugs that I have taken out back in the floor and try to touch up any surface rust stuff on the floor. Wondering if I should put some sort of coating on the floor?

21. farna

farna

I'd just clean/prime/paint the floors. Since you're going back with carpet you could just use some good oil based brush on enamel such as Rustoleum. Might want to thin it a little. you could use a foam roller for a smoother finish. Thinned Rustoleum and a foam roller is what some people have painted whole cars with. About 4-5 coats sanded in between, so it takes a LOT of time, but you get as good a finish as a home spray job, maybe better depending on how you are with a spray gun. Only takes a week to paint a car, 4-5 hours a day to sand then roll, wait until the next day to start on the next coat... but only $100 or so in materials. Got more time than money? Would be good for the floor only thinned a little, maybe 20% thinner/80% paint.

Check with Mac McCoy for carpet -- www.forramblersonly.blogspot.com. He will even send a video on loan showing how to install with lots of tips. He's been into auto carpet for a long time. Send the video back and he'll refund the deposit or keep it -- your choice.

For weatherstrips and vac wiper motor rebuilding check with Peter Stathes -- www.amcrambler.com. He also has a few other resto parts.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  22. gearguy

gearguy

I've been encouraging a friend to join HAMB & share his family history in the auto industry. His grandfather DESIGNED that Rambler 6 & put the first supercharger on a Graham back in the 1930s.

Come on, Gregg. You'll be among guys as crazy as you are.

23. farna

farna

I only know the chief engineer's name from the Nash days. Nash's Vice President of Engineering, Nils E. Wahlberg, who immigrated to the US from Switzerland in the 19 teens (or sooner -- he worked at Oakland, Maxwell-Briscow, and Packard before he landed a job with Nash Motors in 1916, working his way to a vice presidency by 1931).There were definitely more engineers there responsible for various projects, he was just "top dog" through the 50s. The little L-head Nash engine first appeared in the 1941 Ambassador 600 economy car, and the first Nash unitbody car. The OHV model (not really a conversion -- the block casting was changed) appeared in 1956 for the bigger 108" wheelbase Rambler.

I'd very much like to hear from someone with some first-hand accounts of some of the goings-on from the Nash/AMC engineering department!

24. Chris VCR

Chris VCR

Thanks for the good info. Finally got all of the carpet and underlayment out today. So, floors are pretty clean now. Doing the coffee treatment tonight, slowly smell is getting better and things are getting cleaner.

25. Cool car dude!! I would love to find one like that. Great start no matter which way you want to go. Whenever I find anything that sounds good it turns out to be a 15 owner, has been UNDER a barn for 19 years and they want $42,000. for it. Good luck and enjoy!

26. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Hi! there was a little American with mag wheels that buzzed around the downtown area in Springfield. I have a Cruise nite the 3rd Saturday in Bolivar. Its on the Square I would enjoy having you bring her down.

27. Chris VCR

Chris VCR

Wonder if it is still around? I'll try to come out the the Cruise nite in Bolivar, but probably next month, still have a few things to do before driving her out of town.

28. James427

James427
    BANNED

I saw this one sitting in a garage and stopped to ask about it. After I saw it I knew I had to have it. What was so cool about it was the factory SILVER space suit type material original interior!

Still got that manual, send me your address.

Attached Files:

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

great wagon....

please no wide whites on a 60's car... though some 1 - 1 1/2" look great, don't have to be to skinny.

30. violet springs

violet springs