Register now to get rid of these ads!

Illinois junk yards (where are they?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xmacx, Aug 29, 2009.

1. xmacx

xmacx
    from illinois

Where are if any of the junk yards in Illinois that have decent pre 49 stuff at a reasonable price. I know crazy question but i searched on here and not to many threads about this so anyone know of any?

-mac

2. ...not in Illinois, but real close by in southern Wisconsin is Jack's Auto Ranch north of Jefferson, Wis. ...and Watkins Salvage just east of New Glaris, Wis.
    ...Jack's has a website I believe.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  3. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Ace Auto Salvage in Tonica might have something left.
    815-442-8224

Mitch Urban is the owner.

4. bobblehead

bobblehead

what part of IL. are we talking?

5. xmacx

xmacx
    from illinois

any part really i am by springfield but i just listen to my dad talk about what used to be and wondered if there are any places still around. I enjoy walking through them even when i dont need anything i love the history and just seeing the cars and thinking about what could be done to them.

6. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I was up there a few years ago and was driving on some back road in the middle of a cornfield and drove past one full off old stuff. I honestly could not tell you how to get there. I do know it was not too far from Paxton IL

7. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

Charlie Harmon in Peoria,Il has a nice one that is hidden in Pekin and he has a small one behind his house in Springbay. Its a shame what the Govt did to his huge yard that was nothing but hundreds of old tin. You could walk his old lot for 15hours and not see it all and the damn govt came in and crushed every single one. He still has a lot of stuff as I just bought a ford 3 speed tranny that looks like a brand new one for $100.00. He has a real nice 1961 Starliner behind his house that he will sell cheap and with a good title. There is another one in Mackinaw but the guy is a little different and you almost have to know a friend of his to get in.

8. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

The place outside Mackinaw (Lilly actually) is a private "collection" and not a junk yard....althought that is what it looks like. Not much in the central parts that i am aware of...they have been cleared out long ago.

9. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

isnt there one around Bloomington?

10. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

nope..and believe me I have scoured the county better than most looking for old tin....if it is visible, I know where it is and generally what it is. The yards in Bloomington are all late model stuff now, you might find a 70's car and that's rare. Miller's place is the largest collection of old stuff and most of it is junk now....rotted off the bottom 12-18 inches at least.

11. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

I go to Taco Tuesday at Kerrigans to hang out with the local hotrod builders and eat some great food. There are usually around 40 older guys that have some great stories and this very subject came up. Everret Gray said that Bill Dahl has a junk yard in Germantown Hills that has nothing but pre 1960 cars in it but it hasnt been open since 1975. I am going to go tin hunting this week and see if I can get some pictures and see why Bill doesnt sell any more of his semi-precious recyclables.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  12. tdoty

tdoty

Would that have been Gary Post's place out by Armstrong? His stock rotates, so you never know what you'll find - if anything.

G&D in Loda crushed out - completely. Flatheads went for $100...okay, an engine was $100, $75 for a transmission, $25-50 for a rearend (depending on who was working the counter).

Bryant's in Westville has some old stuff, but they don't often let customers out in the yard....if you don't know somebody or know what's in the yard, no chance finding anything there. Bryant's U-Pull-It in Danville crushed out and cleaned up to "remodel the yard" earlier this year. Lost some old stuff with that one. That's where I bought my '47 Ford truck.

Mack's Twin City in Urbana has some old stuff from time to time.

I haven't found anything "dedicated" to the old stuff in East Central Illinois. A lot of the little yards that I remember are just plain GONE!

Tim D.

13. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Has anyone heard of Fountain Green? It was a whole town in west central ILL. that was a junkyard. Haven't been there in years. Is it still around?

14. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

There is a small private yard outside of ElPaso, IL. Chieftain55 here on the HAMB has the in to this place.

Gus is willing to sell the cars at the Ponderosa but I agree all but a few are in desperate shape.
    These were taken a couple of years ago.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  15. xmacx

xmacx
    from illinois

love that there is still some going i am building a model a coupe at the moment and looking for some parts. Its really a shame that some are getting cleaned out it makes me wish i had grown up in a different generation. thanks for all the posts it helps a lot.

16. Kool49

Kool49

There is a place just out side of Shelbyville Illionois called Eatons salvage 217-459-2767 . Hear they have quite abit of old stuff been around for years . Also there is a spot down around Effingham Illionois i believe its called Stutesman salvage (old stuff also) 217-932-2530 in Casey Illinois. Hope this helps, i live near Decatur and its dry around here but driving a hour isnt that bad for some good ol parts .

17. Plowboy

Plowboy

Stutesman's is pretty well picked over but it is worth a drive down there just to look around if nothing else. I always find something to buy when I am down there. Don't forget to get your burgers in Moonshine while you are there.

There is also a place North of Terre Haute (Gib Elliotts) it is a working junkyard with some new stuff too, I had a wallet full of cash and couldn't get the guy to price anything. He told me to come back some other day (even though this was a Wednesday) it didn't seem to matter to him that I drove over an hour to get there.

Gary Post sometimes won't price anything either. I bought my '59 olds there to cut up for the lunar lander. He has another car there that he priced to me and I said "i'll take it" and I have been waiting 4 years for him to pull it out for me. ha ha ha

18. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

Fountain green is still there,,with the town church across the street from the iron pile :D,,,lots of late model stuff

19. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

Stutesman's is very picked over, especially for HAMB-friendly stuff. I go there almost weekly during the summer to pick up miscellaneous stuff for my late '60's stuff. Seatbelts, dash knobs, hood latches, and little things like that. They are usually pretty high priced too. Good call on the burgers in Moonshine though.

20. pcm

pcm

Johns auto salvage Cabool, Mo its worth the drive. he has more old cars than you could ever imagine and he doesn't crush. Phone is 417-962-3237 east of springfield, mo on 160 about 90 miles

21. yngrodder

yngrodder

I have found a couple down south with old stuff in it, I want to buy a couple things out of there before i tell everyone where it is, I am going to buy a 36 5 window a Model A Sedan and a Model A bed if things go right, prices are pretty decent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. convx4

convx4

Johns auto salvage Cabool has been crushing cars the last several years. John is in his 80's and his son's are in there 60's. All are wanting to retire and high scrap prices are helping. I would make the trip at least 4 times a year. High prices but It is like stepping into the past. I bring a sack lunch and sit in the office and take a break and talk to them. Best time of year is in the winter,no bugs. No leaves on the trees or on any brush.

23. I grew up near Ft. Green.I believe the man who owns it now is Jerry Squire.I delt a lot with the orignal owner Kermie Bowsman.(gone 30 years). I now live south of Mt Vernon.The 4-5 junk yards I delt with chrushed a couple of years ago.Is there any in southern Illinois looking for '60's Fords. Thanks Ken N.

24. xmacx

xmacx
    from illinois

anyone know of anymore with A roadsters in them? or any A stuff. thanks

mac

25. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

you are correct,,I think its called Squires auto,,,,,I remember right now:)

26. Plowboy

Plowboy

Your best bet is to call Brookville roadster. ha ha

27. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

He has several locations in our area.

The one you want to check out is the old Sever's Junk Yard. It is located at the intersection of I-39 and State Highway 6 East of LaSalle, IL.

I believe it is open on Saturdays.

Call Mitch at the above number to verify.

28. xmacx

xmacx
    from illinois

I know but without 6g's its hard to do that lol thats why i search the woods instead.

29. Ohlly

Ohlly

this yard was awsome, I spent a day in there a while back & never scrached the surface. Damn Shame to crush all that.:mad:

30. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Gus Miller is supposed to be out at his place outside Lilly May 9th. I was going to go until I realized it was Mother day.

I've dealt with Mitch up at Ace auto salvage in Tonica also. I was looking for a door for my GTO at the time. He gave me a detailed path, go past certain stacked up cars etc.. turn left, turn tight, until I got to an old 30's box truck he had described , lo and behold was my door sitting, waiting...