Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The H.A.M.B. Coupe - It's yours!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32ford5, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

I read almost every post...
    I like the idea, and if it comes to fruition, consider any plating needs of the car taken care of.

2. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

3D...you might be right of course but I think this build won't be that complicated and I have a lot of faith in this group to act fast and sensibly to get this going.

Bugbox, great suggestions none of which I have a problem with. I am more than willing to give the car (and walk away with no compensation or claim to rights expected ever) to Ryan or a lawyer of a club or whatever. I just want this car built, I want it to be cool and I want it to promote this website and forum. It's done a lot for me and enriched my life immeasurably. I just want to give something back and would not have a problem giving 100% control to someone else. I have so much faith in this community to do the right thing that I'm not sure how any of us will ever let it become bogged down.

As far as speed of build is concerned we have had several offers from workshops who say they can probably build this car within 30 days and have it racing next month but I'd like to actually slow it down a little to get as many donated parts as possible. I have had some TREMENDOUSLY generous offers to build the car (for free!) and without even starting this yet I think we probably have enough parts and labour to build it already but I think the decision process will help build character into the car and we need polls to make sure it's an accurate depiction of our combines styling ideas.

This is going to be a basic good ol hot rod race car. We all probably know it can only be build in only a few possible ways. No need to re-invent anything here. What has worked for decades and is timeless will work again here. If we all went away and came back with drawings and ideas I bet the coupe would not look very different one desk to another.

That's why I know this is going to be a huge success because we all know what's "right" and I can "feel" the class in this community. I may be a "neo-trad" but I'm keen and respectful of history and love the entire hot rod experience. This may be one of the best things I've been involved in in my whole life. I just wish I lived a bit closer...lol.

3. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think we could "raffle" this thing for a buck or 10 a ticket every year... that way the charity money keeps rolling in as long as the car is rolling. Don't limit the tickets as it all would go to a good cause. Whoever "wins" can keep the car for a year, or pass it on when it needs an oil change...

4. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Yeah I think if the car was given into Ryan's possession it would be handled right and everyone would be on board.

5. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

ChromePlater that is sooo cool! Thanks a lot!

Glen, thanks for your offer for a wiring harness. Too cool and yes this car MUST be a traditional build. Strictly pre 64. Of course.

6. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's comb the thread and see what we have for parts donated already. That'll give us a good idea of what we've potentially already got. I'm on it...

7. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Pintsriper you were the first to step up in the original thread - gold. I'm not too sure about raffling the car though. I want us to keep it and come up with a way that it can generate funds as it goes. Haven't come up with a way yet but I'm sure we'll think of something. I think a better investment in "giving" would be something that keeps on giving instead of something that is sold, money spent (or absorbed) and then we have no H.A.M.B car.

I know the large amount of money that a sale could generate would make a large difference but in this vast open space which is my mind I have several visions for this car. One is to find a way that it can generate charity funds and two is to have a fun car we can all call our own and a constant source of interest and discussion for the group. That's just my opinion and desire of course but I think that's the way to go. There are no conditions on my giving this car. If you all want to paint it pink and hang sea shells off it and drive it in parades that's what we'll do. This can be a goose that lays golden eggs at every race meet or event if we plan it carefully enough and that, in the long run, might raise even more money than a one off sale.

8. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Pin', so far we have a body, blower, wiring, bodywork, paint, sign writing, front wheels, plating, any Nailhead we want and a quick change rear. We have several offers from shops for space and labour and we have several clubs putting their hands up. But this is just a pre-amble thread. If we get the go ahead I plan on starting a myriad of threads (maybe the coupe can get it's own sub section on the forum so it doesn't "disrupt" or flood the main forum) dealing with everything so we can vote on it. I'm sure there will be hassles and confusement along the way but I believe we can work them out and I think it would be wise to have someone who can veto a dead lock and make a decision.

9. Bet ya never would have guessed it would be so hard to give something away!32ford5 - I've been following along and am still on board. If this works out you HAVE to come to the states to see it!

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A $4,000 seed...but a hearty grower.

I don't have much, but I have these. If they can be used, it would be an honor to donate my set of two early Halibrand magnesium 15"X10" 5-on-5 slotted wheels. I don't know if 10" would be wide enough for this beast though!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  11. stromberg

stromberg

I hope this works out, its a great idea!

12. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Chevy57Due...not only will I come to visit I'm planning a few visits to help build it! If I was closer I'd be there most days working on it under the supervision of people who know (I'm still a bit new to traditional hot rodding and racing but I feel I've belonged here all along and have really found a comfortable home here, I can talk the talk but still learning to walk the walk).

Ricky! Those wheels would be awesome! I hope that 10s are wide enough too but I'll go whatever was correct and likely back in the day will be chosen. As you know I just bought a set of 16x11 Magnesiums so I think (real) mags would suit this car perfectly plus it'll give the young kids something to polish if they want to participate. I would have taken a job as wheel polisher for any of the race teams back then...just to get to hang around with them and the cars at the track.

13. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is what I have so far- I see that you listed stuff already...
    HAMB ’34 Coupe Donations

1. 32Ford5- Body
    2. DirtiestDevil- Shop & Mystery Parts
    3. Trulyvintage- Free Transport/parts hauling
    4. Thommoina33- original hood sides
    5. Coupe33 Drag car- 6-71, hot rod: four 94’s
    6. Ryno- time and shop
    7. Lobucrod- insulation
    8. Fat47- shop space
    9. Metalman-project overseer
    10. Kim82- Nailhead
    11. Never2low- $50
    12. 32Ford5-quick change, spindles, wheels
    13. cfnutcase-more nailhead stuff
    14. mako4r- a very nice ’34 steering wheel
    15. ntxcustoms-blasting/bodywork/paint
    16. 51 hemi J- chassis building/3D cad
    17. Arrowwood Rod& Kustom- shop
    18. Glenn33- wiring harness
    19. ChromeplaterJosh- Chrome
    20. RickyBop- Magnesium Halibrands 5x5x10
    21. Chevy57dude- '33-'34 radiator
    22. Slowandlow63- paint/body/transport
    23. Dickster27- possible 6x2 setup
    24. JDHolmes-shop space, non-personal ownership, transportation
    25. Roddinshack- appraisal
    26. xadamx- '35 front end
    27. Limeysteve-Steering column, wheel, and column drop.
    28. El Caballo- Paint
    29. Kulturepimp- Possible shop
    30. exwestracer- roll bar

Plus, as you said Bill, lots of time and money and small parts from others... I'm sorry If I missed anything.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  14. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

That's truly amazing!

You can add a 671 supercharger as well (via private PM).

15. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. '33-34 radiator if you need it.

17. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I wish I had something to donate. So all I can add is a thumbs up for the suggestion.

I say that if it becomes a drag car that anyone who donates something to it gets a turn behind the wheel.

In addition you could auction off 'driving rights' at the HAMB Drags so people who mayh not have parts could possibly drive it.

The down side of a 'community car' is that while we have a wonderful group here... at time we can all be a little irresponsible. It only takes one wrong move (or 6 too many beers) to turn a hot rod into a ball of tin foil.

18. Zeke

Zeke

You got a lot of soul for trying this but....

Sooner or later someone is gonna lay claim to this and it's gonna get messy.

19. busch

busch

Bill this is coming to life, hoping I have some thing to donate down the road great idea

20. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

Holy crap! Each post is within 5 minutes of the last! Ill admit i skipped alot, love the idea though.

Can you start some poll threads? With some stickeys would be nice. We could vote on which direction the car should go, vote on any offered motors, etc. I agree, giving this its own hamb section would make it easier to follow and participate.

21. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Stick me in there for my paint/body/transport.

22. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Great idea, when it is done I will donate a "VALID APPRAISAL" for insurance purposes. This could only happen on the HAMB, Good Luck all participants.:):):). Larry

23. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

I still think it should be owned by the HAMB with no monitary value to anyone person.A living project that evolves with time. Not built only once then left to die. An always changing project car with new ideas to always have renewed interest.

24. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I think we should get the model guys to build the car in miniature and vote on the design ,Even if I dont work on it........Id be willing to throw in some money ... Not much ,but what I can afford .... I dont like the idea of auctioning off for charity.This would be something to be proud of for years .........Also if this gets off the ground ,How much money is needed to get it over here ......

25. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

If this is to be a blown drag car (I love the idea) We will need to be very careful who drives it. For their safety and everyone else involved. I think the only persons that can be considered drivers should be those holding a valid compition license from NHRA,IHRA, and like oganizitions. Normal Norman

26. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My idea was to "raffle" within the HAMB community... that way it never leaves the HAMB community. The title would never get changed, and we'd all go repo it when so-and-so doesnt' want to give up his/her bitchin' coupe! Then we'd have another raffle within the HAMB community every so often- donating the $$$ each time, but with a new "caretaker".

The car would stay with us, funds would continually generate year after year. It makes sense to me...

27. Just give me as much notice as possible to
    arrange connecting loads into the Denver area
    to be able to pick up :)

Also, I am on board for free hauling of parts
    needed for the build

On a side note, I see strong interest in the different designs
    of a concept HAMB car coming from just about everywhere

That said, there appear to be enough resources and
    genuine interest to have more one HAMB ride project

Regional rides taken from concept to build that are
    entirely sourced by the HAMB community
    ;)

The more contributing members - the stronger the community

Jim

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  28. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

29. adams27

adams27

I think it's a great idea. I got some parts I'd be willing to "part" with to help it along.

30. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is so cool, I can't stand it. Haven't hardly read another thread since this one started. Halibrands, Nailheads, and chrome, OH MY! LOL.

I can easily imagine this car with a whole set of alternate parts. Different sets of wheels and tires, various drive-trains, etc. It's configuration could be changed and changed again, in order to compete in different classes, and different types of meets...Flathead drags, banger meets, blown fuel class, salt flats, etc. It could become quite the "clothes horse". Check this out...I've always thought that if a car did have various drivetrains, that it would be prudent to design and build it to enable the change to be made quickly and easily. I designed machines for most of my life, and I enjoy pondering this kind of stuff. Just an idea or two. One major element to this capability would be an adaptive engine/transmission mounting system. Plates welded to the inner face of the frame-rails with hole-patterns to accommodate multiple engine and tranny mounts for whatever drivetrain might be present at the time. Also a wiring-system that would allow the various drivetrains to be plugged into the car in short order. "Plug and play" so to speak.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.