Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The H.A.M.B. Coupe - It's yours!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32ford5, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 69fury

69fury

If this doesn't end up a huge legal, logistical nightmare, i'd be proud to have a hand in it.

My vote would be salt (stock w/chop-no aero nose), or comp like the 15oz coupe.

2. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

The 15oz scares me a little so I vote for that style for sure.

The nightmares will become as big as we let them. I am expecting to have to fight for this coupe. We may have to pay some legal time to get a good disclaimer written but I believe none of this is impossible or even a real challenge. It's just stuff that needs to be organised.

"Do not ask for tasks equal to your powers. Ask for powers equal to your tasks" - GWB

3. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

I think the idea of having the car shift from shop to shop in major metropolitan areas for "pieces" of the build would really add to the community perspective of the project. One of the "donations" that folks could be involved in could be transport (otherwise known as HAMB relay). for instance, I have a diesel F250 and would be willing to donate a couple of days to move it from CO to Phoenix. Once it had it's turn here in the Phoenix area at whoever's shop was willing to donate some time into it someone else could move it to CA or TX and so on. It doesn't have to be expensive if folks are willing to donate parts, time and experience.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just think this is the neatest thing ever! There will be a world of good in this, and will serve to bring the hamb community even closer together. Awesome! Do you realize, sir, what you have started? OMG...our own car! YES! And a darned cool one too! As a community project...so cool. As a race-car...a force to be reckoned with! It's gonna set records! It's gonna be famous! It's gonna be in magazines and on TV! I know it, I know it...I just KNOW it! LOL! And we all get to be a part of it. I'm already so freakin' proud, I could bust! And so should you be. Thankyou so much for this. I love your spirit and your vision. God bless you, and good luck with everything. :) Rick

5. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Each shop visit could become a mini event or drop in point as well helping to promote the shop and what they are doing for us and our coupe. The build itself could become a tour giving everyone from all corners of the country to take a visit and rub on it some. Don't expect to visit our coupe without pitching in though!...lol You'll be greeted with a hand shake with one hand and handed a sheet of sandpaper or a polishing rag with the other...cool.

6. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

All I did was flick a seed onto the ground. It's massive from people like you Sir Rick that will water and nurture this and make this what you just described.

I am MEGA proud to have started this. MEGA!! ...and yes, I think I'm getting a feeling for how important this car will become to all of us.

People feel sad and depressed some times because they don't have a car to work on or get excited about. Well, wait for this to come to a town near you and just rock up and start working on it. Instant smile!

7. RichG

RichG

I love this idea. As far as ownership: give it to Ryan, I mean, c'mon, who'd be stupid enough to steal Ryan's car? That would settle the B.S. about who gets what and why. As far as I'm concerned, the man has shown us all his willingness to give all of us a virtual garage to hang out it, so why don't we as a group give him a car to put in it.

Building issues: just set some clearly defined goals, start with a poll on what style car to build. From there add polls as they are pertinent to the build. This can and has been successfully done here on the internet and on television as well.

For the naysayers, hey, do something else, don't worry about it. Those who want to will, those who don't won't.

Bill, you're alright in my book man.

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've just gotta quote Toad from American Graffiti...​

"I can't...believe...it." (He starts toward the car and gently caresses its paint.) "I don't know what to say. I'll...love and protect this car until death do us part." (He circles the car.) "This is a superfine machine! This may even be better than Daryl Starbird's superfleck moonbird! It is better than Daryl Starbird's!"

:DHahahahahahaha!:D

9. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Some guys tried this exact thing on another forum and in the end it was a mess. People were well unhappy and many fingers pointed, was good for noone.

Good idea...wrong planet.

10. I agree with Kan Kustom, while acknowledging the 'Easy to be an expert in hindsight' thing.

11. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Excellent! That means we can learn from what they did wrong and apply normal hot rodding techniques to make sure it works better and is hassle free. A golden opportunity. In nature this normally occurs when simplicity is inherent in the design.

The best ideas will be the simplest. For example "who votes we accept Member "H"'s 6-71 blower? We all know and have the car pretty much finished in our heads already.

But I think we also need an "out" or "Plan B" so here it is;

If this ends up being an unfair logistical burden on Ryan who is already doing such an excellent job (I mean that sincerely) then I will simply maintain ownership of the coupe and will pay for all parts offered and labour done (volunteers accepted though...lol). It'll be my coupe, I build value into it and I can sell it any time I want but...it still gets built as this coupe we've all been talking about and would still like for it to be built only by members of the H.A.M.B. - fair enough?

It might take a bit longer because I have to pay for everything but it will still have the "Designed by H.A.M.B. Members" theme. That will at least assure us of the quality.

I do want to make the point though that if we are talking ideals and not practicalities I think it will be a "purer" car if it doesn't have a public owner and it lives or dies by our own efforts. Maybe this car should be a little like the internet in that no one "node" can take it down. The internet will (probably) never die and neither should this car.

Either way, it's too late. It's fate is sealed as far as I'm concerned. This clearly means a lot to us and it has to be done. This car's going to be a tribute to the "can do" spirit of the H.A.M.B. (which also by the way resonates very loudly with us Australians) and a living example of what we like.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  12. mako4r

mako4r

First of all , I have to say Thanks to the H.A.M.B and all its members who have helped me gather parts and shared information for my 40 ford build.
    I would like to give back for what ever reason this "coupe" shall be built...

A very nice 34 ford steering wheel

the car should be sent on a tour of the different shows to promote the HAMB and also used as a charity tool to spread the gospel of traditional rodding across the country.... Quoted from ROUTE 66 FAN. post #69

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Originally Posted by Kan Kustom [​IMG]
    Just my oppinion and I know you mean well but I think you should have talked with Ryan before you asked us. This will put a lot of pressure on a guy who already has enough trying to balance what he should and shouldnt do to keep his forum going in the direction he wants.

Ryan already expressed an agreeable response to this, with only an apprehension concerning legalaties. It doesn't have to take much of Ryan's time or burden him. I think we have enough resources here, to delegate the authority to other people to spend the time on any and all aspects. And with enough $ up front from us, we can pay someone to organize and oversee the legal aspects. Ryan will let us know if this can be done or not. Let Ryan speak for himself.

14. myke

myke
    from SoCal

15. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

I like the concept. HAMBr's can build it and auction it to highest bidder and then donate proceeds to a good charity.

16. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

The car was for sale up until I started this thread but have instructed Kary (who I bought the car from) to remove the ad but now it's finished and didn't sell it's locked into this project.

17. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

This is just great!
    If i didnt live the other way around the world i'd be more than happy to have a hand in it!
    Good luck w/ it!
    Nick.

18. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Bill,

I'd like to say "well done" on the HAMB coupe donation, you really stepped up.

Now may I ask this thread activity to cease.

I feel as though you (read: all of us) could go round and round in circles, until Ryan and a few other guys States side get their handle around how, where and by whom this build could be accomplished.

Maybe it should have gone to Ryan first , which is easy to say with hindsight.

The main thing is - Bill has been more than generous in his offer to donate the body as a project.

Please sshhhh now ;)

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shhhhh??? You gotta be kidding! You can ask all you want for the thread activity to "cease", I don't think we're gonna "shhhh". Bill has already stated that this is gonna happen, even if he finances it himself...though it sure doesn't look like he's gonna have to. I'll pledge at least $100 right now, with more likely to come. And I bet there are plenty of others here, willing to do the same. And there are already loads of parts and labor being volunteered for the cause. So whether this car gets built as a hamb car, or as a social-group car, or totally on the side, (kinda like when Chrysler engineers went racing, without the "official" backing of the company) It looks like this will indeed become a reality. I'm going to continue to be one of it's most enthusiastic cheerleaders, and supporters. I wanna yell it from the rooftops!

We're goin' racing, guys and girls! We've got a car!...we've got a car!... we've got a CAR! YAHOOOOOO! :D

20. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Bless ya Ricky!

Stovebolt I know but I kind of wasn;t counting on this massive a reaction. I was expecting "Cool, let us know when it's finished...whatever". But you have a good point about "my ears hurt". There will be plenty of time for talking once we know the best way to proceed. For now I think it's safe to say the concept has been well received.

Let's wait for the green light. Time to visit the pits or grab a hot dog 'till the announcer calls the next race.

21. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

build it as a drag coupe, then raffle it off to[ hamb members only] cover your build expence. Give the change to help feed hungry kids, favorite Church or something. Good Luck

22. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I guess I wrote in haste :eek:

my point being why not wait until all the (where to build, bank account for donations, drop off point for donations, relays for parts transfer, etc etc) details are sorted, then see how to go about getting the job done ..... well before the style of vehicle is debated, and all other peripheral issues need to be discussed.

All you guys who have pledged gear for the build, well done, its guys like you who make this joint.

I don't want to put a dampener on the project, just sit back, and see how the powers that be work through the major issues.

Might I suggest a HAMB Poll to get the majority view of what type of vehicle us HAMBers want. That way a single direction can be set, and parts donated/purchased to achieve the goal of a hot rod built for hot rodders, by hot rodders, through the generous gesture of the OP - Bill with the 32 5W!!!

23. i think this is a real deal
    we did this a long time ago in clubs
    stop the neg comments he is trying to steal the car back
    pass it down build is a good concept

24. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can kick in a crying baby-doll, one lawn chair, a gold chain and a Hawaiian shirt size XXL for when the 34 makes it's tour of NSRA events.

Opps. Wrong project car, wrong forum and the car is too old for a NSRA event. I retract my offer.

25. That's nice maybe I'll donate some of my projects too. When do I get to motor yours across country?

OK so much for cynicism. Sounds like fun but there is one thing that you will have to bear in mind. Anything with more than one head is a monster. You will need to keep the final dicision for mods etc in your own hands or you could end up with an abortion.

Never the less I vote for cream yellow. I love that color.

26. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks.

I would be totally behind raising money for all those causes (and more - we haven't even started to discuss possible ways this can be used to raise money for worthy causes yet) but I'm against the idea of selling it. I want this car to be a permanent part of this community. I think we can raise money and give regularly to clearly deserving charities as well as have and enjoy our car for years to come. We can eat our cake and have it to.

27. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

28. Whoa... looks like it could happen. Set the motor back!!!

It's got a place in NJ! I'll re-chop it, paint it, letter it.... anything you want. Frame set up, build the floor, name it.

I could run a crew of guys if it reaches NJ. Maybe 4 guys at a time. Can't speak for all NJ Hambers, but I know a few whom lurk, and can build that would chip in for a good cause!

I'm sure we can round up a new rear deck skin... we can punch it too! Roof insert?

Attached Files:

29. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

One thought would be if four or five shop owners on board would each do a part in building a moderately powered drag car and then when finished the car would go to vintage drag races in each of the shops areas to race during the year.
    Along with the designated driver from the shop there would be a 50/50 auction in which a HAMB alliance member could race the car after signing off the likability waivers ect. The shop would get half the raffle for expenses and the HAMB would get the rest to cover their operating cost.
    This way people who might not get the chance to race could have their 15 minutes of fame.

jim h

30. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

I'd like to volunteer my shop for the blasting and body work/paint. Body work is a lot so I'd be happy to send it down the road for the actual paint if another shop wants the paint and buff.

I think what we need is a list of logistical breaks where the car could be shipped to it's next stop. I also think that the work should be done on nights or weekends planned in advance so that the locals can come out and participate.

I'd be happy to generate a list since this is what I do daily. When finished other shops with experience can review....

Great idea...give it to Ryan and let's make a go of it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.