Register now to get rid of these ads!

241 hemi front motor mounting questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meengrinch, Mar 4, 2010.

1. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

i`m mounting a 241 hemi motor and do not have any front motor mounts at this time. it has no place on the side of the motor for the side mounts. i`m interested in the stock front mount that seems to go up under the water pump. does it bolt to the water pump? does anyone have any pictures of that mount? would appreciate any help someone can offer......jim

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I dont have a picture readily available to post, but there is motor mount insulator, (metal/rubber/metal) that bolts to the bottom of the water pump. It is about 3/4" to 1" thick, then there is a triangular shaped stamped steel support, flat on top, that bolts to the insulator mentioned above, and the legs of which extend downward at about a 30* angle to rest on the front crossmember and bolt thereto. I have seen for a hot rod installation a shop made mount that consists of a piece of tubing/brackets that bolts to the water pump, no insulator, an extends outward to frames mounts, like early ford V8 biscuit mounts. Hot Heads offers a pair of aluminum legs that bolt to the cylinder head water outlets, and angle down and out, that provide for mounting to the frame.

Ray

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  3. 23reotim

23reotim
    from arizona

here ya go. two different mounts same basic thing. just two bolts on the bottom of the water pump.
    Tim

Attached Files:

4. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

ok i see how it works........i will try to find a water pump somewhere and mock up a motor mount.......thanks alot guys appreciate your answers.....jim

5. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Here's a couple pics of a stock 241" mount extended approx. 2" on each leg to utilize the stock flathead mounting pads.

Attached Files:

6. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Here is a very hard to find Dodge front mount. As you can see, it mounts using the timing cover bolts. This is a Dodge factory piece. It has a single hole drilled in the bottom for an isolator, although you could put a small mount on each side.

Attached Files:

7. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

any idea`s on where i could buy a insulator piece for the mount under the water pump? i`d like to start out with a new one......i have it all mocked up ready to weld..................

8. Damn Tom,,where do you come up with all this stuff.
    That piece looks like new.

Tommy

9. 73RR

73RR

I would suggest that you solid mount the 'bridge' to the water pump and use isolators under each leg. Drill and tap water pump for 3/8" fasteners.
    This makes a more stable mounting position.

10. ezdusit

ezdusit

I recently bought one at Kanter's Auto Supply.

11. R Pope

R Pope

That single-point front mount is intended to be used with two mounts on the bellhousing to get a stable three-point mount. With a modern single transmission mount, the engine will torque itself all over the place.

12. ezdusit

ezdusit

I was able to find a very clean front engine support on Epay. Then we fabricated the frame fittings as shown here. I agree with R Pope that you have to stabilize the engine transversely. We're fabricating a leaf spring arrangement that will fasten to the bell housing and extend to the frame rail where it will be isolated with rubber. This is how the Mopar "Floating Power" engines were stabilized.
    [​IMG]

13. harmony-h62

harmony-h62

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  14. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

thanks guys.....lots of nice info.......

15. shifts

shifts

I have an extra Hurst (speedway) style if you need it. $50.00 + shipping. DAVE

16. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

If meengrinch dosn't take the 241 mount I will. I'm doing a little dodge now.

17. 31ster

31ster

Did you notice this post is almost 2.5 years old?????

18. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Yea guess I missed that.