Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Most Influential Customs of the past 15 years?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McPhail, Mar 22, 2010.

1. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I couldn't forget the original "Scrape". Not the fiberglass repros but the real MFin deal. This car was simply badass and started a Zephyr craze around the world.

Attached Files:

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I am not saying this with ill intentions but after looking at all the photos in this thread, all I see is a rerun of 60 years ago. Nothing "cutting edge".

3. Except now you see customs laying on the ground like a minitruck. That is not a rerun:cool:

4. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Thats right

5. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Great stuff! For me Valencia's chevy gave rebirth to the early custom look. I think Cole Foster's '60 Ford has left alot of people feeling confident that anyone can build a mild custom (I'm not saying it's true, but rather it makes you think you can) . Rob Fortier's chevy as well.
    John Kouw's sectioned shoebox should've been but for some reason I think it was overlooked (midwest)
    [​IMG]

6. McPhail

McPhail

Kouw's shoebox gave me the grill idea for my 52........
    and my last two cars were not bagged........

7. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Great thread. At the moment, I have nothing to add.

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

First let me say that it is a true honor to be mentioned in this post. I started building the futurian in 1997 and finished it in the spring of 2001

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

The Futurian is no doubt the coolest, and better built to that too, Roth "tribute car" ever built!

10. flash

flash

Around the Boston area/New England I would say Dave Paras' "Jerkury" (4-door merc turned to 2-door) and the Chevy he chopped (can't remember if it's a 53 or 54). I'll try to find some pics.

11. cars were laying on the ground way before mini trucks :D

12. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

I'm kinda excited about this poster!

c'mon and finish it already would ya...

13. I never said mini trucks were the first to lay on the ground before ANY cars.This is about customs,we all know early lowriders were the first to do that, but customs?????? Didnt happen till after the Minitruck craze.

14. John Denich

John Denich

Roger's cars are ALWAYS well thought out and brought back an era of time where Kustoms were elegant. Everything works on his cars from the paint to the wheels to the interior!

Attached Files:

15. I love the cad on the right.

16. McPhail

McPhail

Although they've both made appearances in a previous poster, I think two bubble top cars will make an encore in the new poster..................

17. krimsonghost

krimsonghost

I guess I'm going to go about this a little differently. I am pretty young yet (26), and I have been around a few "genres" of cars, always being into the old stuff though. These are the cars that have most influenced me into the directions I want to go with future projects. Not sure what some of you may think of them, but here we go.

Watching this episode of Monster garage, I was intrigued by watching all the "old schoolers" build this car, and have loved it ever since.
    [​IMG]
    May Cause Dangerous.... need I say more
    [​IMG]
    Kirk Hammett's ride
    [​IMG]

18. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Krimson, Jesse's '54 is one of the finest and im really surprised no one tought of it b4! Me included!
    Theres also a dedicated thread on it, many people love it! After all i seriously doubt there will be another car built by such a team!
    On a side note, as a teen i was a hard core Misfits fan, like your screen name dude!

A true masterpiece
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. krimsonghost

krimsonghost

thanks lol, I have only been listening to them for a few years now, but I loved them from the first songs I heard. I just remember the part where Bill Hines was doing the lead around the antennas, awesome watching him do that

20. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Very little here is really a re-run or a clone of something that has already been done.
    Yes, "60 years ago" maybe the underlying themes, and the looks are familiar, but there are still new things being done, new combinations & much creativity.
    It is just being done with respect for how the cars are intended to be - with design elements of the same era as the cars they are applied to, rather than slapping on elements that don't jive with the original design of the rest of the car just so that people who are too lazy to look deeper can actually see a "cutting edge" but that does not mean it isn't there.
    A lot of cars have been ruined by people striving for a cutting edge without thought for cohesive design.

21. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

With interest I have read this thread for the past few days, hoping that someone below the border would remember the 2 cars built by Time Bomb John who happens to be a Canadian and maybe does not get the recognition he deserves no one has yet pictured his cars so I will. They are both influential to me and a lot of others. 1. 1936 Ford roadster (TimeBomb) and 2. 1949 Ford coupe (Shoezee).

Attached Files:

22. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

The Metalica dude's Buick:
    [​IMG]

23. krimsonghost

krimsonghost

I don't know how I forgot about this!!! His Auburn ain't to shabby either
    [​IMG]
    and Metallica has 2 L's by the way;)

24. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

If a builder follows styling elements and ideas and improves on what was done 60 years ago hes critised for being non "cutting edge" or original.

If he thinks outside the box and does something different he's critised for being "non traditional" ..:rolleyes:

25. OLLIN

OLLIN

Although more hot rods then customs, here are 3 of the most influential cars from the last 15 years hands down..no doubt influential and always controversial
    Marky's PPE and anthony's BNB
    [​IMG]
    and Rudy's Truck,
    [​IMG]
    Definitely jesus valencia's chevy
    [​IMG]
    & The Black Dahlia '36
    [​IMG]
    The Choppers cars when they were the chiselers..
    [​IMG]
    john fishers 36
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. How bout this car too then

Attached Files:

27. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

I am loving some of these rides, but I think that the Cadzilla built for Billy Gibbons. I don't think it was created in the last 15 years, but it has been rejuvenated in the last 15 years, and it is too good to not include.

I am also gonna have to include the Watson Vino Passiano tribute car.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2020
  28. 53chevy

53chevy

For me it has to be Kent Vikmo's 1940 Mercury Custom seen here in it's first style, but all the makings of a beautiful Custom or Kustom! (Photo from Rikster's website)

[​IMG]

Eric Maaske 1946(?) Dodge Custom (Only one I can find, anybody have a better pic?)

[​IMG]

And you can say Deron Wright's '41 Ford, John Fisher's '36 Ford, Keith Weesner's '50 Ford and Verne Hammond's '40 Ford Customs..........

And Ron Martinez's, I think it's actually a '39 Mercury:

[​IMG]

And one more (for me) Cole Foster's Chevrolet Truck Custom:

[​IMG]

Ken

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  29. for me, there are quite a few that really get me off, including the cole built '60 and the valencia chevy.

but the MOST influential for me has been Ian Berkey's Minor Threat.
    save for the paint and upholstery, he did it all himself, and it was the guys 1ST build.

pushed me over the edge to kustomize my '52.