Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Bare Metal Picture Thread"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krackerjack88, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Bare metal Jade

Attached Files:

2. From many years back at the Mooneye's show,

Attached Files:

3. badshifter

badshifter

It was bare metal, now bare metal with a skim coat of rust.......

And something totally different in bare metal.......

Attached Files:

4. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Problem with rust is that, once allowed to start, it tends to lurk under lap welds and seems. Coating the metal with oils, etc carries the same potential of trapping the "preservative" in places that can't be reached.

If a bare metal car is cleaned of all visible rust and contaminates then sprayed with and etch prime to control further corrosion any rust/contamination that was trapped will continue to creep out from it's hiding place and, since it is under the applied corrosion protection, it will only be a matter of time til it rears it's ugly head, resulting in failure of even the best etch primers.

They cal rust "cancer" for a reason. You can put it in remission, but it ALWAYS comes back....

5. shitbox2

shitbox2

6. I hope im not offending anyone here, so please, take my opinion for what it is, just my opinion... but ive seen this BAD ASS car at a few shows and its killer! but when i walk around the back and see the back window has a bunch of bare bondo around the chop, its an eye sore for this car. It doesnt ruin the car, but i would like to see it get some lead to replace the bondo, if your keeping it bare metal that is.

7. chrisclarkcustoms

chrisclarkcustoms
    from las vegas

65 vert from mid west. Ruined by stripping it down to bm. Choose wisely before doing it everyone.

Attached Files:

8. people seem to keep talkin about putting oil on there car to keep it from rusting. Is it just me or is this a really bad idea. Wont it fisheye the paint if u dont get it all off?

9. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Perfect. What's the best way to take it down to bare metal besides sand blasting? And I'm still waiting for a 1955-59 Chevy pick-up bare. :rolleyes: And here's what I did today witha wire and some 40 8" Disc. Took 2 Hours! Does that sound right?

Attached Files:

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Aircraft quality paint stripper seems to work pretty good.

11. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

I used this on my grille and headlight bezels. Worked good but I highly doubt it will take off all this paint and the bondo.

12. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I use stripper far more than sandblasting. It was not always that way, I just don't like the mess of blasting anymore. Both carry the potential for disaster. With sandblasting warpage is the big risk. I watched a film produced by Mercedes Benz on this subject back in the early 80's which included some amazing photography taken on a microscopic level showing how the molecules actually move around as they are impacted by the sand, which, by the way, happens regardless of the media used... One of the keys to successful blasting is the use the smallest amount of media with the lowest amount of air pressure required to remove the paint. Blasting at an angle and keeping the nozzle moving is also a good way to avoid undue warpage. These aren't the "be-all, end-all" rules of blasting but will go along toward keeping the casual sandblaster out of trouble...

Using paint striper, especially the industrial brands that are really potent MUST be thoroughly cleaned... Any residue left behind, under the seems and in the corners, etc, that is allowed to dry on the surface can continue to "etch" the metal. Not a big problem in and of itself, but it makes adhesion a real problem later on.
    Same with using oils to keep it from rusting.... These things can cause much more damage and require significant amounts of effort to neutralize when having a bare metal car is no longer fun....

13. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Heres my old Burb. When we were building it, my wife said how she hated the green, and "we" should strip it...

I laughed and said, if you wanna strip it, go ahead. So she did. All by herself. I never touched it other than to hold ladder when she was reaching center of roof.

She used Kleen-strip, orange and white gallon can chemical stripper from Home Depot.

It flashed up in rain, but then we'd just rub it with WD-40 and scotchbrite pads, and good as new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Grumpy , I'd call that gal a keeper !!

15. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Grumpy, Did it take body filler off too? They laid down alot of bondo on this truck, for what reason i have no idea. It's pretty straight to me.

16. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Here are some of mine. I love bare metal photos!!!

My 33' Vicky pictures done by John Glover:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My aluminum 40' willys:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My 32' sedan:

[​IMG]

And a model a coupe I had:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  17. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

That Willy's is insane. I've seen that one before. Very nice.

18. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

There wasnt any. None. Not a single place did we find filler. They had painted various shades of green in places where there were small dings, scratches, and one small baseball sized dent, but no filler anywhere...

19. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Here is my 62 Galaxie Q Code before it got a few coats paint

Attached Files:

20. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

This is my Fiat that I have had stripped down for a couple of years. Most of the time it is in a controlled environment in my shop. But occassionally I will take it out, always cautious of the ever lurking rust mites.:D

Attached Files:

21. ezdusit

ezdusit

Here's my '32 Plymouth Model PB coupe just before primer...
    [​IMG]

22. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Well I've been using the Paint stripping pads from home depot. They kind of look like a sponge dried up. They work really good. Seems like whoever did the body wok on this truck just decided to use a 50 gallon drum of bondo. I figure one pad for every panel will strip it all. At nine buck a pop and about 10 pads i'll only be in about 90 dollars and about 15 hours isn't bad if I'm paying myself minumum wage. :D

23. bill3337

bill3337

Hey saltflats.......I followed the build shots on that Vicky......pretty incredible work alright! It's nice to be able to do what you really want to do.....and not be stopped by what makes financial sense.....lol.....great job.....and John Glover is not only extremely skilled......he must have incredible patience....Bill

24. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

here a willys i built a few years back that was in trj [​IMG]

25. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

26. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

27. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

28. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

29. metalshapes

metalshapes

My Roadster is bare metal.
    Without any oil, Water Displacement, or protective coating.

bare steel 003.jpg

Seems to me, if those penitrating oils do what they are supposed to do, they will get into the seams.
    And how would you ever get them out...

There was one guy who kept bugging me about putting his product on my car, and I told him why I wouldnt do it.

It makes no sense to me to run the risk of ruining a paintjob, just to make a temporary sollution ( the bare metal stage) look a little better.

I scuff it up every once in a while, and its a little dull right now because the last time I did that was at least 3 years ago.

Capri's 013.jpg

30. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Not the best quality but the hood took far less time with the stipping pad

Attached Files: