Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was the purpose of this

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spobanz, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

To funny, the stink bug stance. Do i remember those days well. Never could understand how that looked cool to some people.

2. brad chevy

brad chevy

Had a cousin jack a MUSTANG up so high in the rear he pulled the drive shaft off the tranny splines,We all ragged him for years about that, another thing every one did was jack up the back of the hoods with spacers,claimed it ran cooler,after hoods flying up once,busting windshields out that went away quick,hell,we even ran dirt track tires on rear,that was as wide as we could get.Anything just to be COOL !

3. Donnda

Donnda

Blush Blush ............. I was one of them with my 66 GTO with chevy truck springs under the rear in 1969. Rode like a tank but I thought it looked "Cool"

Donn

4. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

Laughing my ass off! Supertuners and TSX8's were the shit! Probably would have never thought of them again if it wasn't for this thread. We had quite a few dual antenna set ups that were lit up like Christmas trees.

5. Both my 65 and 66 mustangs got that same treatment in 1982 (Seattle was behind the times and I didn't have money or a license until then)

3 hole shackles
    skyjacker air shocks (cool remote plastic fill line plumbed into the trunk)
    thrush mufflers
    hood pins
    mr gasket chrome kit on the stock 289
    square fog lamps behind the grill
    Kraco 100 watt "booster"
    4 Jensen 6x9's in the rear deck
    and a license plate surround that said "sink the pink".....

All that time I wondered why all the girls fathers hated my guts?

6. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

It is kinda funny reading the responses. I did not know how much in the minority I was in the seventies for jacking up the rear of a car. Or is it that nobody whats to admit it?

Those of you that think that jacked up cars look dumb, That is what I think of those laying frame. One big difference is that all I had to do is let the air out of the shocks and it went back to stock.

How about all the other great seventies things done to cars. Others have mentioned painting the rear end and that kind of stuff. Pimped out interiors with crushed velvet and painted lights. Scarry thing is sometime they will be back in style.

Neal

7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Anybody else have the roach clip / hat clip with the feathers hangin off, on the rearview?
    or That may have been just the 80s?

8. mikemo

mikemo

Yup, been there, done that. I still remember Steppenwolf on the 8 track, "Born to be wild" rattlin' the speakers.

9. LongnLow

LongnLow

supertuner and TSX's....rock on man

10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

.....but didn't this car need the extra ground clearance for when it was hauling a load of white rabbits in the trunk?

11. yeap that too.
    Also greatly aided the driver in exposing the underside of the car to the sun

12. 117harv

117harv

My brother who is 57 now, had a 57 chevy, it had the white fenderwells and rear end. The pumpkin was painted red white and blue like the flag, and had his old ladies name painted on it. He had the tack, red white and blue with a lace garter belt around it mounted to the steering column.

This was pre super tuner, he had a (BIG BOX) of 8 tracks between the seats, with BTO not fagile in the player all the time, i remember it like it was yesterday, i wish i had that 57 hard top now.

Yes it did have the alligator skin LOL.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  13. sinr

sinr
    from cecilia ky

your kidding right 10" shackles , monroe high jackers and a chrome rear end cover . . . . this is how i spent my first pay check . . .

14. indyjps

indyjps

thats not cool anymore?
    Boy am I screwed Ive been buying up all the NOS skyjackers and shackle kits I can find.

15. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Did the 8 track box have genuine imitation alligator skin on the outside?

16. spobanz

spobanz

I would make someone a REALLY sweet deal on this "kit" ;-) I am glad I posted this question up, that video was really funny. The dome light did not get a color treatment. The shocks did have plastic lines running to the back and a tire inflation nipple was bolted onto a bracket under the rear bumper. It has always been regular height since I bought the car, but I could imagine if I were to "inflate" the rear.

17. Awedrod

Awedrod
    from Wichita KS

Why is it I always do the things I THINK are cool. I put a set on a 55 plymouth belvedere. LOL

18. RichG

RichG

I remember a kid in high school got the lines cut to his air shocks. He didn't realize it because the car was sitting on the tires...needless to say he didn't get real far! Long shackles, slapper bars, chin spoilers, chrome tape, clamps to squeeze front coils to drop the nose, the big useless equalizer/amplifier under the dash, 6x9's in boxes in the rear window...nope, don't remember any of that.

19. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I would leave them on it, especially if the shocks still hold pressure. '60s & '70s, A gal I knew had a car set up like that. Wild times, it was. She was 25, I was 40.............

20. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

21. FuelFC

FuelFC

Atta boy capitalist mentality right there. Corner the supply raise the price, sell out, and retire. (PS don't forget the shock extenders!):D

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  22. Did the 8 track box have genuine imitation alligator skin on the outside?

not sure about that new fangled stuff but the 4 track works great

23. Erixon

Erixon

Ha, my '56 Chevy was built-up like that when I first acquired it. Jacked-up, airshocks, white rear end wells, and yes, an 8-track player. Another fad that went along with all that was to attach a very long/tall cb antenna (dummy or real) to the rear.

Stink bug stance....also known as the "California Rake."

24. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

My buddy had a '73 Satellite of DEATH jacked up like that. I was running 31"s on my Jeep and his rear bumper lined up with my front.

I married his sister...we DON'T tell my kids about some of the shit we pulled in that ugly Shrek green devil!

25. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Damn, we didn't even have enough money for shackles, you know beer was $1.50 for a six pack, warm. We actually jacked up the rear end of a friends '65 Be Air (four door) and put muffler clamps aound the shocks so it would stay up there....Really...we went about a half block before one side gave way...man I wish i was 17 again.:D:rolleyes:

26. badshifter

badshifter

I recogognize those shackles and those shocks I got at Super Shops. If there is a hole in the hood for an extra tall chrome air cleaner, you may have my high school 1967 camaro. I'd like to buy it back..... please....

27. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Grain Belt? I knew a kid that did the muffler clamp on the shock trick, he got several blocks before they started sliding.

I did have HiJackers on my first two cars but only raised mine up a little and then outgrew it. After that I left them sitting level, either stock height or in the case of my Chevelle raised up about 3 inches at both ends for tire, header and oil pan clearance. Had to have that Moroso or Milodon oil pan hanging down there to let the "in crowd" know you were packin' serious hardware and weren't to be trifled with. ;)

28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahahaha! Belchfire...Now you're talkin'! I forgot about that little "trick". Those were the days...for us, anyhow. My buddy in high school pointed out to me once, that when you rode behind a car jacked up with stiff suspension, you could see the driver and passenges kinda bouncing up and down...boink-boink...boink...boink-boink-boink. LOL! The guys that are calling shackles "stupid" have to realize that they were used all the way from the early sixties through the seventies. From Bobby Rydell to ELO. They are a part of our heritage, and were part of "the look." Now where is my Peter Frampton tape?

29. T Weed

T Weed

Oh, the seventies. Around here you hadda have a large rear window decal that represented the make of car, a flourescent orange pumpkin sticking out with the 12 inch shackles and last but not least, the rabbit ear c.b antennaes above each door and the small chrome steering wheel., Oh I almost forgot the black plastic speakers perched on the rear shelf that would always melt from the heat through the back window....things I forgot about ,thank God

30. eddieb

eddieb
    from Sharon SC

all that...Anybody have those sidepipes...I think thrush made them. Perforated heat shields. Had those on my 68 Firebird. Later had the "show tubes" on my 70 Vette. Not the ones that actually had 4 tubes coming in...these looked like they did but actually had only one inlet. Had the obligatory flex tube connecting them to a hacksawed off leadback pipe. Burnt out about the same time the chrome peeled off and drug at every driveway and railroad track. 12" crager SS on back with M-50's. Little skinny tires on front for that Funny Car look. About 1978-81